• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a little help unhacking a washington

Enterprise312ok

Jun 12, 2022
Hello, this is my first post on this forum I have been operating cb radios for about 6 months now and have recently aquired a Uniden washington with A 4 switch channel mod that I like. The washington does have a couple issues though The main issue Is a feedback squeal on tx when vr6 Is at normal power. I have been having trouble locating r104 to see if it is intact. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You Enterprise 312 In the Black Gold

Reactions: G-Golly Wally

What we do first is replace C92 with a 470uf capacitor. The factory part is a 47uf 10-Volt cap. The larger upgrade usually won't quite fit, but will be fine standing up on the two wire leads, just above the surrounding parts. So long as you won't be using it mobile, should not cause trouble.

Don't have a handy picture to point out its location.

And if it still squeals after this, the problem lies elsewhere.

What we do first is replace C92 with a 470uf capacitor. The factory part is a 47uf 10-Volt cap. The larger upgrade usually won't quite fit, but will be fine standing up on the two wire leads, just above the surrounding parts. So long as you won't be using it mobile, should not cause trouble.

Don't have a handy picture to point out its location.

And if it still squeals after this, the problem lies elsewhere.

Ummm, didn't think to ask. Has the original 5-pin mike socket been replaced with a 4-pin? Or is an adapter to use a 4-pin mike plugged into it? These are both famous for making the mike audio squeal on AM.

It has 5 pin, I am about to try the capacitor swap. Am sounds muddy and ssb sounds garbled if mike gain is past 3 oclock also. This radio has a 4 switch pll channel mod does anyone have the alignment procedure So i can have my tech align it, he is not really an ssb guy

Ok, capacitor swap has made major Improvement. Now I just get a little crackling in monitor radio with gain turned all the way. Here is a picture for the next guy:

c92 location
Screenshot_2022-06-15-18-15-58.jpg

Hello, this is my first post on this forum I have been operating cb radios for about 6 months now and have recently aquired a Uniden washington with A 4 switch channel mod that I like. The washington does have a couple issues though The main issue Is a feedback squeal on tx when vr6 Is at normal power. I have been having trouble locating r104 to see if it is intact. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You Enterprise 312 In the Black Gold
Welcome to the forum neighbor!! Lol!!! This is Waldo over in Quinton. You can find the right people on this forum to help you with that Washington and if I remember correctly Nomadradio is one of them. I'm thinking he's also pretty sharp with the tube amps also. It was a forum member that did all the work to my Madison I talk on. But I do know the other day when we talked you were very loud and clear. Since we live so close, I'd like to meet sometime soon and shoot the bull, I may need your help tuning my tube Amp, got some heavier duty coax over at Webbers Falls today so I'm about ready to see what that thing can do.
73's. 719 SE Oklahoma. Waldo

Well the capacitor upgrade worked great until this morning, now I get a loud hum in the am transmit audio, ssb is garbled I guess I should have restored tr32 also but I lack the equipment to retune the coils.

View attachment 59367

TR32 is missing. This is the AMC and ALC clamping transistor. Ain't no wonder you have muddy and garbly TX audio.
does anyone have the info on this mod? I have been running this washington as my daily driver for 6 months now with great reports. It keys about 2 watts swinging to 15 peak with good average swing also. ssb will swing to 20. I wold like to do the mod on a grant or 148.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.