• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need a tuner

kj4mqa

kj4mqa
Apr 28, 2009
fannin county ga
im in need of a tuner.
im running a ic 735 took all i could spaire
just to get the radio.
i need it cheap are free. can also be in need of repaire.
so if you got one laying around. keep me in mind.
73s

Build one...you can usually find parts pretty cheap at swap meets or hamfests, especially if you only need to handle 100-200 watts.

Go to qth.com, and in search put in tuner, usually a lot listed..

DOCTOR/795

Yeah Doc you can find tuners listed for sale all over the place and all day long. But Bill wants one that's cheap or free. And there lay the problem.

Hey Bill, Beetle has part of a point. Tell us more about where you plan to operate. We see you have an HF rig. Are you a ham and plan on working around on most of the bands? If so then you will probably need a tuner as no antenna design will cover all of every band, except for the tiny little bands like 30,17 and 12 meters.

But if you are going to use the 735 like on 10 & 11 meters only, then a 1/4 wave ground plane will be very broadbanded and should cover all of the area and you wouldn't need a tuner.

MFJ makes a small, simple tuner they call a "random wire tuner" but it uses coax ports and will tune any kind of antenna, not just random wires. I think the model number is: MFJ 16101. They don't cost too much new and you can usually get a used one off of ebay for around $25.

Good luck

interview.gif

Congrats on the new General Bill. I went General the same week they dropped the code a couple of years back. Hope to work ya on the bands sometime. All I have is 10 meters right now though.

I did a search and I have the model number correct. The little MFJ 16101 tuner is cheap and will tune most antennas for you. I've had one the past myself so I know they work.

Good luck

interview.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.