• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need an amplifier for my Kenwood TS-2000...

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
With these amateur radios (the true ones), things seem to be complicated in terms of hooking an amp up to them.

So, i need some advice regarding amp selection for my TS-2000 specifically.

I talk mostly on AM, but wouldn't mind the option of SSB power.

Outside of that, I am OPEN.

Also, for those who aren't up to speed on the TS-2000, I can't just open it up and set the dead key to 1 watts with a swing.

My budget is no more than $1200.

(No offense intended by the "true ones" comment, I just may have overspent for this radio, and now am unsure what to get regarding an amp).

73, Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes,
Almost any of the commercially built amplifiers will work just fine with a TS-2000. The only sort of "iffy" part is the keying relay Kenwood uses, might not handle the voltage/current used in keying an amplifier.
If you are talking about a base type set up I would recommend a 'tube' amplifier rather than a solidstate one. AC power is certainly more readily available, and a 'tube' amplifier will usually require more drive power than a solidstate one, don't have to worry about reducing output quite as much.
The 'newer' amplifiers usually use a fairly low voltage for keying so the Kenwood ought'a handle it just fine. 'Older' amplifiers, like the SB-220, etc, sometimes use keying voltages over 100 volts. Might wanna watch for that. An external keying relay that handles that kind'a voltage can be used as a sort of buffer if you're particularly worried about it, not a biggy really. Plays @#$$ with full break-in CW, but can be compensated for.
Which amplifier you get depends on how much money you want to throw at it. I am fond of 'Ameritron' amplifiers, had very good luck with them... and they're cheaper. 'Big power' is a loosing proposition to start with, so that aspect is up to you, e$pecially on AM. With a 'half-way' decent antenna system, close to legal limit (ham) will work more than adequately in most instances. Single tube amplifiers are almost always 'better' than multi-tube amplifiers. Lot's of "buts" with that, but true none the less. Amounts to a simplicity in design and expen$e.
- 'Doc

(I think you 'over-did-it' with that TS-2000 too! And I'll make you a very 'fair' offer on it when you decide to 'dumb-down' to something else??? ... I'll hold my breath, right?)

Yeah, I may hold on to the Kenwood lol, for a few more days before unloading it to you :) - which brings me to the Ameritron amps you've mentioned.

There is the Ameritron 600 watt solid state and 800 watt tube amplifiers that I have spent some time looking at.

Only thing is with one of these, I worry quite a bit about my neighbors -and- interference.

So, what is a guy to do?

My antenna is not as high up as I'd like it to be, and am unable to get it up any higher than what it is due to HOA.

Then there is the subject of the low-pass filters and just how well the Ameritron amps keep the TVI/RFI to a minimum....

I've read a little here and there about the TVI/RFI on the Ameritrons, but am always looking for more info.

I can't really predict the future -other than to say- the sunspot cycle is just beginning, and it's already kicking my arse around a bit.

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

Isn't there a real problem with the Ameritrons on AM (I do most of my operating there)?

Considering I have the TS-2000, you may be able to properly advise me there, Doc, or someone else.

Thanks again!

you dont need to open the radio up to adjust your dead key, its called a carrier on ham radios. hit the mic/car button twice i believe and you can adjust it by looking at the screen.

you could set it to 1 watt but most hf amp's (tube or even newer solidstate) need alot more drive, 100 is most common, 50 watts is the minimum amount of drive a true hf amp can have by law.

the ts-2000 is one hell of a radio

ts-2000.gif

Snake Eyes,
First, there's this legality thing. If this is to be operated on the ham bands you have some protection from RFI complaints if your equipment is well made and operated correctly. If it's for 11 meter use, forget it, you are always 'wrong' (and liable) no matter what it is, or how the equipment is used.
Having said that...
Very few (none that I know of) commercially build amplifiers are -advertised- as being AM capable/suitable. Most certainly are, but at power levels MUCH reduced from the advertised amount. Typically, something on the order of 1/3 to 1/2 of the advertised power capabilities. That's because if run "b_lls to the wall" on AM, the life expectancy of the amplifying device(s) goes way down, the unwanted emissions go way up, and 'reputation' (at the very least) suffers.
About RFI. Most commercially amplifiers are 'clean' unless 'pushed' harder than normal, and do meet regulations as to emissions purity and 'cleanliness'. All amplifiers amplify what they are 'fed', so feeding them a clean signal to start with is very good. You should have no 'cleanliness' problems with the TS-2000 (certainly still possible, but not very likely unless modified heavily).
Propagation and HOAs.
There's not much 'cure' for either, you got whats there. Neither can stop you from operating completely. That operation may not be the 'best' in the world, but you've stuck with whatever it happens to be at the moment. Both usually change over time. Propagation will get better, can't say about the HOA thingy.
For fixed use where you have AC power available the only real advantage to solid state equipment is the "instant On" thingy. After that, 'hollow state' equipment usually will cost less to buy/operate. The 'mainest' thing with tubes is to pick one that is fairly common and will be for some time. That doesn't necessarily (almost never) mean cheapest. Not just with 'Ameritron', but with any amplifier manufacturer, don't expect miracles from the 'low end' stuff, and be very careful with the 'top end' stuff! The 811 tubes just are not going to be around for the next 50 years, not very profitable to make them. The 3CX1500's are VERY picky about how they are 'fed'! Very easy to burn them out, which is NOT cheap at all. That covers the 'hi-low' end 'Ameritron' stuff. The two hardiest tubes they use are the 3-500s and the 3CX1200's. They tend to be more forgiving than the rest. Neither can be over driven without 'smoke'. Care, and knowing what you're doing is always the best thing.
[I'm trying to be as 'fair' as I can so not to 'advertise' for anybody.]
The 'best' bet is to figure about a 1/3 of the advertised ratings for AM power, sort of. After that, it's just a matter of what 'grabs you, what you can afford, and watching them meters very closely!
The other thing you have to remember, no matter which amplifier you happen to get is, that @#$ thing can kill you very, very quickly when you take the lid off of it! RTFM! Which means "Read The 'Furnished' Manual" and -believe- what it says about voltages and proper handling.
Not really all that much help is it... Good luck!
- 'Doc

PS - I like 'Ameritron' cuz I can afford them. They do close to what any other amplifier will do, and the difference isn't noticeable in almost every case. If I didn't throw them away, I've got enough 'dead' 3-500s for an Easter Egg hunt state wide. Unfortunately, I learn 'best' the hard way...sigh. Would love to have a 3CX1200 amplifier, just can't afford one. Wish you could plant and grow the @#$ things!

PPS - You better hang on to that TS-2000. Kenwood only made two other radios that even comes close to it. Far as I'm concerned, none of the rest of the brands even come close. The FT-1000D came close, but that's it. @#$, couldn't afford that one either...

I've since decided to go with an export radio for my local talking. I posted a thread in the export radio section asking for assistance there - if anyone may be able to help! :)

Thanks for all the great replies!

73, Snake Eyes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.