• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need an echo mod for 29wxnwst

Chatter

Oct 28, 2009
chambersburg pa
i havent thought about doing a mod for it much until recently. i almost broke down last week and got an echo mic but id rather not spend the money if i dont have to. what id like to do is, do away with the dimmer while being able to switch it on full bright to off. in the area that the dimmer knob was, replace it with a knob like the one used for rf gain/dyna to control echo volume/echo. im sure this has been done.
thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CHATTER

You're going to have to buy and echo board to accomplish that. The price of the echo board + installation (if you can't do it yourself) is going to cost about the same as an echo mic. And then when you get another radio, you can't just unplug the echo and use it on the new radio.

Try the Xtreme 2018 mic; it will do everything you want and need w/o having to send the radio to a tech - or buying a board. I have an Xtreme 2018 - and it is not for sale. Because it's a keeper. It is made by RFInternational; the same company that makes Magnum and RCI radios. I got mine at a local swap meet for $20; wish I could find another at that price!

First of all, it is a power mic that is only rivaled by an Astatic D-104 handheld mic - some have said. I would go a step further and tell you that it is even better. Which pains me to say; as I am a big fan of D-104 mics - I have three of them. It has a 'noise-canceling' switch on the top - so that it also works exceptionally well for a mobile mic. I know this because I had a friend of mine from this forum help me check it out from his station a few miles away. When one turns off the 'N/C' switch; the output volume transmitted is Xtremely clear, LOUD, and has a dynamic wide range frequency response. It will also kick @$$ on any noice-cancelling mic I've owned or heard. It also makes an exceptional base station mic as well. It is clearly a winner in my book - hands down...

Now; the digital echo in this mic is also second to none. It is the same unit used in the Magnum OmegaForce and other Magnum radios. Digital and pristine are the two words that easily come to mind when describing the quality of the echo. Much better than the Galaxy echo - and I can say that - as I also have two Galaxy radios with onboard echo. Setting the echo at a low repeat range and adjusting it so that it tail off one's voice -instead of interfering with the primary sound - will give your transmission genuine quality and ease of intelligibility to others.

Oh; did I mention that it has a built-in talk back in it? One of the best I've heard as well! The adjustments are made thru small holes in the back. Set it once and forget it. The mic gain also has a similar adjustment. The echo controls are large knobs on the back that can also be adjusted on the fly. Keep the talk back loud enough to monitor your voice, and adjust the echo accordingly. There is a second switch on the top of the mic for 'endless repeat echo'. Adds weird effects if that is your thing. I don't use that - I like keeping it clean with just a touch of echo.

The Xtreme 2018 mic isn't cheap; but neither is the cost of a D-104, an echo board, and paying the tech to put it in. They list for $65; but can be had for as little as $55. Not much of a break - but I can attest that they are worth every penny of it. They come pre-wired for a four-pin Cobra, Galaxy, Ranger, and Connex radios. They require a common 9v battery.

It is also the best way to keep from someone hacking up your radio. Just plug it in and forget about it. If this all sounds too good to be true - you would be wrong. It is all of what I've said; this is my own personal experience. The best way to kill three birds (talk back, echo, and power mic) with a single stone (purchase) - IMO...

Last edited:
i picked up a superstar 452 and that thing is a piece of sh!+. i cant hold it from the back with out getting horrible feedback, finding a medium between too much power gain and not enough is not happening.

i picked up a superstar 452 and that thing is a piece of sh!+. i cant hold it from the back with out getting horrible feedback, finding a medium between too much power gain and not enough is not happening.
The talkback in this is adjustable; you will have to take the back off of the mic and find the right pot. My 452 works great on my 29LTD - just adjust the talkback a bit at a time...takes only a minute to find the sweet spot.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.