• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need an opion?

bigj985

Jan 17, 2007
im thinking about purchasing a new base radio soon either gonna go with the galaxy 2517 or the general lee base which would be best

thanks for the advice

ok thanks for everyones opion im aslo thinkin about running sum extra power with it not sure what kinda ampfiler yet though

King Mudduck said:
Don't waste your money on anything less than a rci 2995. 200 watts and more channels then you will ever need. Check them out Rangers web site and see for your self!
A 2517 with a a 2 or 4 pill is a MUCH better choice.. A radio plus an external amp is a better set up over a radio with a built in amp any day..

Well if i were to have $600 + to spend on a radio I would look at the ICOM IC-718 for $549.00

Not only is 11 meter capable on this rig, but you get a WHOLE LOT MORE frequencies

HF All Band Transceiver, Direct Freq. Input, Vox, General Coverage Receiver * CURRENTLY INCLUDES FREE UT-106 PRE-INSTALLED.

The IC-718 is an entry level HF rig that covers 160-10m inclusive, with the exception of 60m. The radio will output a full 100 watts when using SSB, CW, or RTTY and 40 watts when using AM. The radio does not have a built in DSP, but has an option for a plug in AF DSP unit as well as several excellent filters. The base package for the radio includes: the radio, stock hand mic, power cord, and operating manual. This radio is an excellent choice for those just getting into HF or those looking to have a backup rig in their shack.

The New, Easy to Use IC-718
Whether you're new to HF or just looking for a capable second rig, the IC-718 is for you. It's simple. Buttons for the functions you use the most are prominent and easy to access. Selecting s frequency is as easy as punching in the numbers on the large, well spaced keypad. And you can quickly tune up or down a band with the auto tuning step feature. It even has a band stacking register to "remember" your last used frequency. It's superior. The IC-718 features a continually adjustable noise blanker - a feature some high-end rig's don't even have. The IF shift helps reject nearby interference. And with the optional UT-106 installed, you can enhance the superior receive performance with Digital Signal Processing (DSP). The Auto Notch Filter minimizes noise without compromising receive audio. A full 100 watts (40 W AM) of adjustable power keeps you on the air for extended periods. Talk hands-free with the VOX feature. And a built-in keyer for CW enthusiasts. All this and more in a compact, easy to carry little package. Simple. Superior. Piece of cake.

Specifications:

Dimensions: 9 7/16 (W), 3 3/4 (H), 9 13/32 (D), 8.5 lb
HF all band Amateur transceiver
USB, LSB, CW, RTTY (FSK) and AM are built in
Simple operation
One Touch Band Switching
Direct Frequency Input via 10 Button Keypad
Auto Tuning Steps (TS).
Easy to Use Front Panel Controls
Front Mounted Loud Speaker
Optional DSP Capability
IF Shift
Microphone Compressor
RF Gain Control
Adjustable Noise Blanker
RF Attenuator and Preamp
Total of 101 Memory Channels
Ample CW Features
Built-in keyer with CW reverse
VOX (Voice Operated Transmitter)
Flexible Filter Selection
Digital S/RF Meter
High Frequency Stability
Optional Voice Synthesizer
CI-V Interface Capability With Optional CT-17
Mic included

7183yv.jpg

Damn it Hammer that's really what i was looking for. I know that us mear CB guys are not supposed to have those type of radio but i would like to try one just because people tell me that the performance you get is more then what any export radio can offer. I did not that you could find a radio like that for around the same price that i paid for my RCI.

You know what? I'm going to send my tech and email and see if he will let me return my rci that i bought last wednesday and get one of those 718's!

I realize that the black box bases are the same as the mobiles plus power supply, but they DO look alot better in the shack.

I replaced an RCI 2950 with my Galaxy DX2517. RF performance is the same, but it sure looks nicer in the shack, and I definitely prefer the ergonomics of the controls on the Galaxy. God, I HATE those little rows of buttons on the 2950!!!

Plus I just plain LIKE the black box radios. I have a Yaesu FT847 w/ Collins mechanical SSB filters, and it does 11 meters like nothing else I have, but I still use the Galaxy more often. Why? Because I LIKE it!!!!! (It doen't hurt that SS8541 set it up for me, so I know that it is talking and hearing as well as it possibly can.)

bigj985
I know you are wanting a nice looking base radio to compliment your radio room and maybe money is no object, but what Happy Hammer mention is food for thought.

The last base radio that I owned was around 1975, that's when the SBE Console 23 ch. went south, I then went to a mobile radio/power supply and have been very happy ever since.

So that's my nickels worth.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.