• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need Coax advice for mobile antenna

jr26

May 5, 2022
I am planning on redoing my mobile setup in my truck again hopefully the last time so I want to get everything right. I am planning to install an Anytone at-6666 barefoot and a 102" stainless whip in the rear stake hole. Is it worth the extra money to use LMR400 over RG8X? At the antenna should I use a PL259 or use a ring mount set up? Also at the radio I need a 90 degree connector I was wanting an amphenol solder on but cant find the is crimp or compression ok or use an adapter? Also on the 102" spring or no spring? I would appreciate any advice Thank You.

My opinion: RG400 for coax, it tends to stand up better to the rigors of mobile use vs 8x or LMR400. Ring terminal ends then thoroughly coated with liquid electric tape for water proofing.
The only 90° end I have had reliability with is the amphenol, install a straight end on the coax then use the 90° adapter.

Reactions: TES
I have 2 18' lengths of PRO RG8x 1 has pl259's on each end other is pl259 and ring terminal are those fine what would be better?

I agree good quality RG58 would work good, and would be more practical for your setup. You could add a small amp later, and still be good to go. RG8X is great too if that's what you have. Used it many times when trucking.

Just like @undertaker, I used ring terminals on my last steel whip installation. And no I did not need a spring for the installation on my pickup truck.

I cut and drilled a heavy duty aluminum bracket to mount on my pickup truck. Used a heavy duty Firestik brand SO-239 for the hole I drilled into the bracket. I used a piece of 6 1/4 x 4 inch aluminum flat bar. It is 1/4 thick. Link below.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1C6414/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All the mounting brackets I looked at did not look like they would hold up to a steel whip. Firestik has a stainless heavy duty bracket that would have worked, but I did read that they had bent under the pressure of a steel whip.

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
Thanks for the help I have never used a spring before I currently have a mirror bracket bolted to a tool box n0 issues but SWR is 2.0 to 2.5 box is grounded through the mounts and 10ga wire. I was hoping to get it closer to 1.

Thanks for the help I have never used a spring before I currently have a mirror bracket bolted to a tool box n0 issues but SWR is 2.0 to 2.5 box is grounded through the mounts and 10ga wire. I was hoping to get it closer to 1.
I've always used a 6 inch spring with mine, I could always get my SWR lower using the spring. Don't know if the spring is actually necessary but it always helped me obtain a lower SWR in my experience. O yeah and you gotta have the tennis ball on the whip.

I think I will try the spring should I put a jumper from to to bottom or just use it as is? Never did the tennis ball have black plastic hose down low where it would hit the tool box.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
Just remembered so my bad. Had a Firestik stud, but it was way too wimpy for a steel whip.

I used a Breedlove model #206 stud mount for the antenna connection. The #206 has the ring connector connection on the bottom.

Trust me the antenna is not going anywhere on that stud. With the drilled aluminum plate, and the Breedlove #206 stud mount, the spring was not needed, and SWR was spot on the money.

Breedlove has ball and spring mounts too, but they are pricey...top quality too.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-Golly Wally
Just added a spring on my current toolbox setup the whip is feed with new rg58 from last radio my SWR was 1.4 on channel 1 and 1.2 on channel 40. Would it be worth buying a new mount and moving to a rear stake hole?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.