• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need experience or opinion on company

wambulance

Sep 23, 2009
Here's a link to a product (and company as a byproduct)
FM transmitter-HLLY Electronics

Hard to find information about the company. I know they have an ebay store and their feedback is so-so (98% or so, usually for slow shipping). Found only one review and someone in the US said the 20 watt was very hot, but didn't offer much besides that.

But, just wondering if anyone has dealt with "Hlly". Chinese of course. The sharing of personal experiences welcome.

Ummmm - where to begin...
The commercial broadcast frequency has been the target of more than a few FCC smackdowns for those who operate on these freqs w/o a license. One would think that 20 watts of peak envelope power is nothing to cry about. But that just isn't so. It is enough to create interference to duly-licensed commercial radio stations; and the will complain to the FCC about it! Which isn't good news for you!

Personally, I would steer clear...

Don't do it.

A 500 milliwatt "station", KAPW was issued a $17,500 NAL by the FCC.

Unlicensed operation in the FM band is limited to a field strength of 250 microvolts per meter measured 3 meters from the antenna. This works out to 165.8 picowatts per square meter, which would be 18.7 nanowatts into an isotropic radiator.

KAPW's 500 milliwatts appears to violate this requirement!

You want the FCC on you like flies on stink?

And now you know why those little tiny FM stereo modulators you can buy at Wal-Mart suck nutz.

Understood, I was curious about the company or experiences with their equipment. They have lots of products, I just happened to list that one (perhaps a poor choice on my part). I realize the FCC cracks down on pirate stations, especially those on the FM band. I also understand that a NAL is issued after a warning; even the FCC's website mentions that they're lenient for first time offenses. People are typically fined when refusing to turn off a station after having been warned. In the instance of Bill Dougan (KAPW), he received a warning with 10 days to comply and continued to broadcast, disputing the FCC's jurisdiction over his operation which is what eventually resulted in the $17,500 fine.

In any case, 20 watts is a serious FM transmitter. Very serious. But sorry if I wasn't clear I was more interested in the company itself. Lots of their website is in Chinese and I linked an English listing.

Last edited:
Never Again

I bought a small, 100mw HLLY transmitter on eBay. It's in my junk box now. The workmanship is quite good, but the audio quality is pathetic. Levels are low, and if you try to push it, the sound just goes to mush. I replaced it with an EDM. Now my audio is as good as most commercial stations.

If Chinese radio products are what you desire I would get in touch with "George" at radiogearpro.com

I've had excellent results in my many purchases from them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.