• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help again. This time my Cobra 1000 won't turn on.

Dart

Oct 18, 2012
I had a previous post about some Cobra 2000 troubles and you guys helped me find the problem. So I'm hoping for some help again.

I have a Cobra 1000 base radio that won't turn on. Well, let me clarify, the clock will come on, but the radio (channel selector, meters, and everything else) won't do a thing. The clock comes on when the radio is plugged in, but turning the radio on via the volume knob does nothing.

I checked the fuse and it's a good, clean fuse. I have the cover (top and bottom removed) but don't see any issues to my untrained eye. Where should I start looking in hopes of finding the problem? The radio hasn't been used (turned on) in many years.

Can't remember if this one has a slide switch on the rear panel to select DC or AC power. That switch can become oxidized over the years and prevent it from powering up.

Simply sliding it from AC to DC back and forth a few times can scratch through the oxide and restore power. Just remember to hit it with some cleaner anyway. A poor connection in the switch can cause the contacts to run hot and oxidize again from the heat alone.

A lot of radios with a clock can be powered up from the clock's alarm function. The alarm switch is a possible failure point. Don't remember if this one works that way.

Reactions: Dart
My 2000GTL had a bad power switch, and my tech said it was pretty common. Replaced it cheap and it works fine now.

Brett

Can't remember if this one has a slide switch on the rear panel to select DC or AC power. That switch can become oxidized over the years and prevent it from powering up.

Simply sliding it from AC to DC back and forth a few times can scratch through the oxide and restore power. Just remember to hit it with some cleaner anyway. A poor connection in the switch can cause the contacts to run hot and oxidize again from the heat alone.

A lot of radios with a clock can be powered up from the clock's alarm function. The alarm switch is a possible failure point. Don't remember if this one works that way.

Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and cycled the switch only for it to fall apart inside of the radio.

Since the clock is on, am I to assume that the switch is stuck on AC power (which wouldn't be such a bad thing)?

How would I test the bad power switch? On this 1000, it also serves as the volume knob.

if the volume and on off are on the same switch you should have 3 pins on the rear of the switch and 3 pins closer to the front. the 2 pins to the rear are your on off part. check across the 2 pins at the back and see if you have power there. you can use a dvm to check for power across them or just jumper the 2 pins and see if the radio comes on.
I think it would be best to take it to some one that works on radios to check it out since you do not seem to know what to do to test the part. no need to burn up a good radio.

Reactions: Dart and Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.