• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help with a ssb relay/switch

680MAINE

May 31, 2006
I've got a 2pill 2879 amp with no ssb switch/relay. I'd like to put one in it so that I could use it on ssb as I find myself going there more and more. I've done one before about 10yrs ago and I remember drawing up a schematic for it, but can't find it at all. Probably got mixed up in a pile of papers and thrown out years ago. The amp is just your run of the mill fat boy/davemade style amp. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question about your post.
You have indicated that there is no "SSB SWITCH/RELAY."
My question is about the absence of a relay.
Am I to understand that you are attempting to install a 'change-over' realy in an amplifier that is lacking one or do you mean to say that the amp has a relay but there is no ssb delay and the relay chatters when you talk?
If you will clarify this point then I will proceed to advise you as to a solution to your problem.

Radiooman

TO summarize,

CLASS C is a type of bias used in amplifiers.

CLASS C sounds ok on AM sounds like shit on SSB.

So depending on your type of amplifier biasing that will determine if you can use it with good results on SSB.

Google is your friend on adding a SSB delay circuit.

IF you still plan on doing this, you're going to need more than just a switch. Depending on the relay keying circuit, a capacitor or a capacitor in series with a resistor will have to be added to the base of the keying transistor, through your switch, then to ground. You might have to tinker with the value of the cap or RC time constant to achieve the amount of delay that's needed. But, like others have said, class C really does sound horrible on sideband.

This attachment is the circuit that I used in my amp. I robbed this image of cbtricks, they robbed it from the psf plans which have no copyright so they shouldn't mind.

Attachments

• relaydelaygood.png
    relaydelaygood.png
    89 KB · Views: 299
About 10 yrs ago I had bought some plans from powerplate performance, and a set from rf parts. I coulda swore I had them still in my 6part folder in my trunk of radio stuff out in the shop, but 3 military moves, and 4 deployments I have no idea where they're at now or my schematics/plans of other amps I've built. The wife swears that I would loose my head if it wasn't attached to my body. My memory isnt what it used to be, nothing like having your brain rattled in your skull from explosives. I lost my solder 4 times tonight out in the shop, each time it was right on front of me on the bench and I clearly looked at it bit my brain didn't register what it was., couple times I zoned out and totally forgot what I was doing. Man this sucks.

Thanks fodendaf that should get me in the right direction. I just need to find my green ledger/log/idea book it has drawing upon drawing of different amps, ab biasing circuits, antenna switches preamps,

Thanks for your help guys

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.