• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help with microphone conversion cable

AtLarge

Jan 27, 2019
Morning all and Merry Christmas! Got time on my hands with the greatly reduced holiday activities so, I want to make a conversion cable that will let me use a Yaesu 8 pin microphone on a Cobra 4 pin radio.

Pin 8 Mic to Pin 2 (Mod / Audio)
Pin 7 Mic Gnd to Pin 1 Shield (Ground & Common / Shield-Com)
Pin 6 PTT to Pin 3 (TX)
Pin 5 PTT Gnd to Pin 4 (RX)

If someone(s) could take a moment to confirm this looks right before I wire it up I would appreciate it.

pin 8 to pin 2
pin 7 to pin 1
pin 6 to pin 3
pin 5 to pin 1

this is only if your cobra radio has receive audio without the mic plugged in. some cobra radios need the rx pin grounded to receive

Dang it. Thanks for the reply. Didn't think of that. I just checked that and yes, the mic has to be plugged in for the audio to work on the radio.

In your list pin 4 on the on the cobra side isn't used or I need to take RX to ground on pin 1 along with 7?

if your cobra needs the mic plugged in to receive then you will need to come up with a way to ground pin 4 when just receiving and un ground it when you go to transmitt, so with the mic you want to use its not a simple plug swap to make it work

id look for a different mic to use on the cobra

Bummer. I agree, too much trouble for this. I only have one other radio and it's a Uniden 980 SSB. It does work without the mic plugged in so, maybe this would be a better candidate?

I was given the Yaesu mic and was told it had high quality output which is why I wanted to try and use it. I don't have any problem with the stock Uniden mic but, have read it's mediocre.

I found this pinout on the interwebz for that model with the 6 pins. So,
Pin 8 Mic to pin 1 Modulation.
Pin 7 Mic Gnd to pin 5 Ground.
Pin 6 PTT to pin 3 TX.
Pin 5 PTT Gnd to pin 2 RX.

Got it sorted. No idea what the model of the mic is. No label other than the Yasue name and looks to be for the FT-847 FT-920 FT-950. Camaro1 was very close but, it's actually:
Yaesu - Cobra
7 = 1
8 = 2
6 = 3
5 = 4

Works ok. Wouldn't say it's any better than what I had already but, at least I can use it as a back up. Hate to have it sitting around with nothing to connect it to. Thanks Guys!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.