• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help

Dec 2, 2005
here is the problem i am having i have a new 95T everytime time i turn the power to max and key up i get a small shock from the mic RK56 anyone have a clue what the problem could be (groundmaybe ) :?: :?:

Ground, stray wire in the mic....Could be a number of things. Mine did the same thing to me and I know where you are coming from. They pack a wallop...Mine turned out to be a bad ground

Start by doing some maintenance on the antenna system. Disassemble the mounting bracket and clean everything thoroughly. Check the coax, and if it looks a bit rough, replace it. Make sure the connections, at ALL points, are tight, especially the little socket where the PL259 "tit" slides in. Once done, check the antenna tuning with a good meter, or better yet, an analyzer with a frequency readout. Once all that is done, see if the problem is still there. If so, try running a wire from a radio case screw to the main ground. This could cause ground loop issues (picking up engine whine in the radio), so use it as a last resort. If all else fails, stick a radio shack part # 273-105 on the mic cord just under the mic head, like in the middle of the first couple coils.

Does your RK-56 have one of those chrome metal mic cords by any chance ? ....Those as well as the Astatic 636's have been known to be quite shocking in many cases , Why ? Grounding I would assume in one way or the other. I had one of those on my RK-56 in which I had put my own chrome cord on , with my amp on ,I would get a little jolt if my lips touched the grill of the mic , best way to discribe it is the way I used to test 9 volters on my tongue to see if they were good to go or still had any juice left in them....Grounding huh ? ......every thing I own in my car is grounded one way or the other ,IM surprised I don't personally wear a grounding/static strap everytime I get in my car !! ....I just went back to the Belden coil cord the RK-56 originally had on it and the problem was gone ......Why ? do do do do..... do do do do.... do do do do....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.