• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need help

Bryan Amtower

Apr 6, 2018
Have a cobra 29 nw ltd st limited edition with gold covers have a chirp when mic is keyed tried mics tried turning mic gain down nothing still does it was told it was a leaking capasitor could anyone tell me which one to look at or replace so i can get it fixed???

Have to ask, is this radio new, or recently bought used?

Several threads may help apply here, it's more reading but they cover a lot about the Cobra 29 - just not exact...

cobra 29 ltd no modulation output.

And also here...

Cobra 29 ltd classic not transmit

New radio? Check the radio for bad or cold soldering...even broken wire or loose case to board screws. Mic jack to chassis - loose hardware can make this a headache...

Used radio?

Several things can cause problems...

Some older radios - if someone installed an Echo board and then took it out might have goofed up the wiring for the Mic.

Capacitors - for an older radio like the 29 with ST - can fail - so you'll need to look at that too.

Mic or Mic's wiring - even plunger - can affect the "Chirp" you hear...

But, firstly I need to know, did you got this radio used, do you know it history...?

Check this on an external speaker with PA on - use the PA speaker jack , does it chirp in this mode?

Because it can also mean the rear panel jacks may have got issues.

Just some things I'd check...

Andy, I would say this is an older rig, probably used. I have 2 here. They are the LE, (limited edition), black face with Night Watch. It says Limited Edition vertically just to the right of the channel selector. And the OP is correct on the gold/sand colored cases.

In my opinion, these look great at night when the Night Watch works! Smooth low green/blue glow that won't seer the eyeballs!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.