• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need ideas for HF amplifier

Wire Dawg

Jul 21, 2012
After adding power supplies, cabling, conversion, cooling fans & filter, the cost of my last Texas Star amp turned out higher than anticipated. I’m contemplating another amp for a second station, and wish to obtain one within the same power output of the TS (800 watts), but at a lower $$ cost. While the Ameritron AL 811h and AL 811HD are favored, I do not yet have a ham ticket to buy the mod kit for 10/12 meters (nor the skills to install it). So I’ve been eyeing the KLV-1000’s distributed by H&Y, which offer 700 watts for $899. None of the threads or reports I’ve read appears to have much good to say about these. Has somebody bought and used the KLV-1000P or other of the RM tube amps with good results? Are there other suggestions for amps that I may drive with an RCI 2970n2?

Are you just looking for power in chook band or are you looking to expand and get your ticket?

Have you still got your TS?

Heathkit SB1000, Ameritron AL80 series.
A single 3-500z all band HF amp will do what you are wanting.

Reactions: 1 person
Still have & use the TS when the n2 is not sufficient, or when conditions turn bad for dx. Took the amateur test circa 1986, but never again after failing to decipher 5-words in Morse code (I can send sos & honda). I’m scheduled to take the no-code in July. Currently, I use radio mostly to talk with my elderly folks (living overseas & unable to study for any test), so contact freqs won’t change much even if I get the ham ticket. My appeal for Ameritron is because they sound clean & are fairly priced, but I don’t know if they are reliable or if I can plug-n-play with my radio. Curiosity for the KLV-1000p is driven by its price. I am able to tune an amp, but limited tech skills mandate that I stay away from older amps.

I would favor the Ameritron AL 811HD over the RM Italy offerings any day.The 10/12 meter "mod" is not a problem:
IW5EDI Simone – Ham-Radio
A screw driver and a pair of wire cutters will do the job nicely.
When you get your ticket you will have plenty of fun on the other bands....Oh, and go for the General, you got nothing to lose, and a world of fun when you pass.

Jeff

Thanks to all. Dxengineering has been very responsive to my on-line purchases. In regards to using the 2970n2 with an Ameritron, I'd like to ask if I will be able to key this amp with the PTT mic or if I need an external attachment/ foot pedal (other than an obvious coax jumper). In regards to klv-1000, I'd like to know if the lack of endorsements is due to quality issues or if it is just too new to tell.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.