• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need NPC/Swing Mod for Texas Ranger TR 127FS - EPT012911Z

Have one of these & wanting the Swing Mod if available. No results on the googler

this is all i could find on the net. i dont know if it works or not.
SUPER SWING MODULATION MOD (required for amp):
> (1) Unsolder and remove JP86 near the final.
> (2) Solder a 220uf @ 25v or larger Electrolytic capacitor in the two holes where JP86 was
> removed with the negative side facing the final.
> (3) Solder a 50 ohm to 100 ohm 1 watt resistor across the capacitor leads on the solder
> PC trace side of the board.
> (NOTE) The lower the resistor value is, the higher the dead key will be.
> try it at your own risk.

Was that for the above radio Jon or some other radio. That sounds like the mod for the Cobra 129 and this radio is different ;-)

I have a lot of stuff on file, I'm not familiar with the radio, but do you have the board number It should start with EPT. If you post the number I'll post what I have.

This radio have transformer AM modulator so cap+ resistor will do the trick.
Mike
yes i googled.
Texas Ranger TR 127FS - EPT012911Z
that is what i found. dont know if it works.
just trying to help

I looked at the layout of the radio and it looks like it may be the right position. it would be about like the cobra 29 just another JP location. have only seen about 2 of these radios and never even thought about doing the swing mod to it.

I have a lot of stuff on file, I'm not familiar with the radio, but do you have the board number It should start with EPT. If you post the number I'll post what I have.

Hi friend, the board # is in the header ;-) ept012911z

I looked at the layout of the radio and it looks like it may be the right position. it would be about like the cobra 29 just another JP location. have only seen about 2 of these radios and never even thought about doing the swing mod to it.

Okay ... another JP location ..... so WHICH ONE? WHERE?
There is a long small-diameter coil approximately in the location near the final like the J is on a Cobra29, but without confirmation I don't want to remove this coil and try the mod in that spot.

> (2) Solder a 220uf @ 25v or larger Electrolytic capacitor in the two holes where JP86 was
> (3) Solder a 50 ohm to 100 ohm 1 watt resistor across the capacitor leads on the solder

this is the same info Jon posted for you, no pics were with it. very self explainatory. just remove JP86 which is just a wire jumper, not a coiled wire from what I saw on the service manual on cbtricks. this is posted on another forum by a guy that had done the mods. another guy did do the mod and he said it worked very well. if you can not find the jumper just take this info and the radio to a tech so it would be done with out blowing up your radio.
Jon got the same info from the other forum also. at least the wording is the same as I just posted for you.

this is the same info Jon posted for you, no pics were with it. very self explainatory. just remove JP86 which is just a wire jumper, not a coiled wire from what I saw on the service manual on cbtricks. this is posted on another forum by a guy that had done the mods. another guy did do the mod and he said it worked very well. if you can not find the jumper just take this info and the radio to a tech so it would be done with out blowing up your radio.
Jon got the same info from the other forum also. at least the wording is the same as I just posted for you.

yep just trying to help.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I couldn't find that board, but here's the article, Beware I have not proofed or tried any off these, Hope it helps.

Here is the Diode Swing Mod For Most Radios.

This trick will apply to most SSB and Export type radios only including the 148 GTL, 2000 GTL, Grant XL & LT, Galaxy, Connex, Superstar, RCI and more. The mods will be listed by board number, not radio model, so make sure you make a note of the board number that is stamped on the main PCBoard of your radio..... The diode is a 1N4001. If for any reason this mod doesn't do what it should, check the polarity of the diode. Banded end is the Cathode! You can remove the resistor completely and solder the diode in its place, but do not recommend this. If you really want to replace the resistor with the diode, do not run the power completely down (no dead key), this could cause faults in the AM Modulation Stage. When lifting the end of the resistor, solder the banded end of diode in its place (where it used to be), the other end of diode solders to the lifted end of the resistor.

*EPT014811Z, PC411, PC412 (Uniden Grant XL, Uniden Madison, Cobra 148/2000 GTL, Teaberry Stalker 20 Export, Texas Ranger TR296 etc...)

-Lift the end of R-194 that connects to TR42. Place the cathode
(banded end) of the diode towards TR42 and solder the other end to the lifted end of R194. Thats it!

*EPT360014, EPT360011 (Galaxy, Connex, Superstar and more. Excalibur SSB)

-Lift end of R240 that connects to C189 & C188. Solder banded end of diode towards C188 and other end to lifted end of R240. Check for peak power at low power setting and see if it matches the peak at high.

*EPT069610Z (Galaxy DX959/949/2547, Texas Ranger 696F SSB, 696F, 396, 936, 966

-Lift end of R266 that connects to D103 and C233. Solder the banded end in the empty hole where resistor was lifted and solder the other end of diode to lifted end of resistor.

EPT295013Z (RCI 2950/2970 (Not DX))

-Lift end of resistor R285 that connects to C300 & C303. Solder banded end of diode to C300 & C303, solder other end of diode to lifted end of resistor.

*EPT690010Z

-R266 - This is done exactly the same as the 959/949 and 2547. These boards are identical in every way except the exclusion of FM and the PLL area is different.

*PC999 President Grant Export

-Lift end of resistor R282 where it connect to C217. Solder banded end of diode in the hole and solder the other end to the lifted resistor

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.