• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some advice

Unit2Pa

May 23, 2010
Hi guys. First off let me say that this is not some sort of CB troll thread, it's legit. I'm only looking for some advice and/or guidance. I'm a CB radio operator and have been for many years. I'm located in the southeast corner of Pennsylvania and the locals are having an issue(s) with a licensed HAM operator.

This "gentleman" spends a great deal of his time on 11 meters and seems to enjoy being a nuisance. Some of his favorite things to do are...

- Running high power amplifiers on 11 meters, often for extended periods of time

- The use of abusive and foul language

- Jamming the local CB channel with music and/or recorded loops of himself

As I type this the local CB channel is locked down with a siren while the offender is on vacation for a week! To top it all off he has all his activity documented on a couple of his own websites. It seems that nothing will stop this guy and he often boasts that nobody is going to make him stop.

Letters have been written to the local FCC field office, but the nonsense continued on and off for over four years.

Just wondering if there are any other avenues to take in order to get this guy to stop?

I take it chances of getting a callsign are pretty much out of the question...? If he is being like this, it'd be quite dumb to identify himself.

What I'd do in your case: Find the/a local ham radio club to you and inform them. You may have a group of folks that'll just say, "CB? The hell with you anyway!", or you could have a group that will say something like, "let's tune to 11m, wait for him, then start DF'ing him!" (direction finding).

If the first happens, find another club, then another, etc... If there are no positive results with that... well, I hate to say it, but ignore him. At least, to the best of your ability. Hopefully he'll get bored and just stop (in a perfect world). If the second happens, well FANTASTIC!!!

With that, you should be able to locate where he is -- then re-report to the FCC... with an name and address.

Best of luck! The bands (including CB/11m) are only as decent as the folks that populate them. Got a bad egg? Get him out!!

**EDIT** Just re-read what you posted... If he has websites and such posting such have you given this info to the FCC? I still say you should find a local club. Surely with this guy bragging as he is, he made the mistake of actually identifying himself -- or at least left enough breadcrumbs for you to piece it together...?

**EDIT #2** I honestly don't know the answer to this one, but you may be able to go the "illegal amplifier" route. Get a local ham on your side, if he is amping more than what the law allows (not exactly sure how you would even prove this) -- then you've got a law being broken and simply call law enforcement. I mention having a ham buddy with you could easily attest if he is spilling over into 10m or 12m areas. And that is a big no-no.

Just tossing thoughts out there.

I take it chances of getting a callsign are pretty much out of the question...? If he is being like this, it'd be quite dumb to identify himself.

What I'd do in your case: Find the/a local ham radio club to you and inform them. You may have a group of folks that'll just say, "CB? The hell with you anyway!", or you could have a group that will say something like, "let's tune to 11m, wait for him, then start DF'ing him!" (direction finding).

If the first happens, find another club, then another, etc... If there are no positive results with that... well, I hate to say it, but ignore him. At least, to the best of your ability. Hopefully he'll get bored and just stop (in a perfect world). If the second happens, well FANTASTIC!!!

With that, you should be able to locate where he is -- then re-report to the FCC... with an name and address.

Best of luck! The bands (including CB/11m) are only as decent as the folks that populate them. Got a bad egg? Get him out!!

**EDIT** Just re-read what you posted... If he has websites and such posting such have you given this info to the FCC? I still say you should find a local club. Surely with this guy bragging as he is, he made the mistake of actually identifying himself -- or at least left enough breadcrumbs for you to piece it together...?

**EDIT #2** I honestly don't know the answer to this one, but you may be able to go the "illegal amplifier" route. Get a local ham on your side, if he is amping more than what the law allows (not exactly sure how you would even prove this) -- then you've got a law being broken and simply call law enforcement. I mention having a ham buddy with you could easily attest if he is spilling over into 10m or 12m areas. And that is a big no-no.

Just tossing thoughts out there.

Thanks.

I have his call sign, address, phone number, web addresses, you name it. I'll have to find the local club AND pen another letter with info pertaining to his websites.

Oh, and I failed to mention his unlicensed LPFM station (3-4 mile range) that re-broadcasts Sirius radio, which he also has a webite for. This guy is a real gem.

I may have considered that 20 years ago, and he claims he has security cameras. Not to mention that wouldn't shut him up for long and just tick him off.
Just report him to the FCC with his call sign and your other info and see what comes of it.

Nothin says lovin like a good ass whoopin.

I'll have to find the local club AND pen another letter with info pertaining to his websites.

Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

Fill in the info on the left. Just enter your zip code and that should help you out. I really don't know if they can help or not, but you should also report this to the ARRL since he is an amateur radio operator. I'd start here:

How to Contact the ARRL

The worst they can say is, "sorry, but no. Can't help you. But, who you want to contact is..."

I went searching for some better contacts at the FCC. But the FCC website is currently "down for maintenance". I'm thinking you may want to report it higher up than the local field office.

Again, just some thoughts.

Hey, another thought just occurred to me... Be *SURE* to record and log the 'offenses'. Date, time, channel/frequency/signal report. Even better -- if you have access to an HF ham rig or a good general (or shortwave) receiver with SSB/AM reception that can tune to the ham 10m & 12m bands:

12m = 24.890MHZ - 24.990MHz (ham)
11m = 26.965MHz - 27.405MHz CB (CH1 - CH40)
10m = 28.000MHz - 29.700MHz (ham)

record him in one of the ham bands (if possible), BE SURE TO LOG IT!! and there's your law violation.

Sad thing is, going the legal route and assuming that it all works out to your advantage -- the bad guy will probably get nothing more than an official notice telling him to "stop doing that". And he'll stop for a week or so.

Hmm... thinking that out now, maybe dressing up as a ninja and chopping that coax isn't such a bad idea after all.

Actually, you have two avenues of approach. The FCC, naturally. And since the FCC delegated authority for 11 meter complaints to local authorities, and since this person is transmitting on 11 meters, see where that's going? It won't be easy, and it will take some time, but it is certainly 'do-able'!
And a third avenue of approach is to ring his door bell, be polite, and ask him to stop. In fact, that should be your first approach! It shows peaceful intent, awareness of the person doing the interfering, and a desire for that interference to stop. That's a very good legal 'foundation' to build on. (So is a certified letter to him outlining the problem.)
It stands a much better chance of getting something done than 'cutting his coax', and doesn't put YOU at fault.
- 'Doc

Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

Fill in the info on the left. Just enter your zip code and that should help you out. I really don't know if they can help or not, but you should also report this to the ARRL since he is an amateur radio operator. I'd start here:

How to Contact the ARRL

The worst they can say is, "sorry, but no. Can't help you. But, who you want to contact is..."

I went searching for some better contacts at the FCC. But the FCC website is currently "down for maintenance". I'm thinking you may want to report it higher up than the local field office.

Again, just some thoughts.

Hey, thanks again.

I found the local club and I started putting together a nice Word document with posts and pictures from his webites for the next letter. Some pertaining to the lockdown radio on 11 meters, and some pertaining to the website for his "non-profit" FM radio station.

I'll drop the ARRL a line, too. It can't hurt and I think this guy should be exposed to everyone and anyone who may be able to do something about it.

I may have considered that 20 years ago, and he claims he has security cameras. Not to mention that wouldn't shut him up for long and just tick him off.

Security cameras?? So wear a hoodie. Tick him off? Sounds like he already has a very bad attitude. Hasn't he ticked you and your friends off enough yet??

You can sit around and whine and we can serve you some cheese....or you can do something about it.

Security cameras?? So wear a hoodie. Tick him off? Sounds like he already has a very bad attitude. Hasn't he ticked you and your friends off enough yet??

You can sit around and whine and we can serve you some cheese....or you can do something about it.

Frankly I'm suprised that someone hasn't gotten fed up with him already and taken out his coax. But whether he's an idiot or not I'm not one to mess with anyone's personal property. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle something. I want to take care of this legitimately.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.