• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some advise

HF is alot different than the 2 meter lets use someone's repeater to make the range further.

As DOC said the HF rigs like current, lots of current. Get a good PS.

The rig you decide on is basically based on what you want to do as operater. DX, fine look at filters, if DX is open then you will hear alot of ops working it, nice to be able to filter out the QSB and QRM,

Bandpass/notch filters.

Perhaps speech processor to "help" the signal in the pileups.

A basic rig will work for starters.

No matter how good the rig is the Antenna is the main part of your station. A $5000.00 rig wont be worth a hoot if the antenna system is sub standard.

Starters, get a rig. Solid state. hybrid or whatever.

Get the best antenna system you can get. Get it as high in the air as you can get it. A small tri bander at 80 feet will equal or better a big yagi at 45 feet. I know I have both. the Mosley TA-33 at 80 feet outperforms the Mosley PRO TH67B at 45 feet on 20 meters. Wont go into details as why but height is the key. A good friend of mine (sk) always told me to "take it to the moon". whenever I asked him about height of an antenna.

MY first rig was a TS-120 plain jane nothng fancy and the TA-33 at 80 feet.

Worked the world with that set up, no amplifier. the 40 meter nets and so called KW rag chewers always gave me poor signal reports as far as strength, but they heard me and that is all that matters.

Congrats on the Gen ticket and have fun setting the station up, enjoy.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the great advise. I am pleased to say I am the proud owner now of a Kenwood TS-570D(G). I think I will try to learn on this unit and then figure out where to go in the future. Once again, thanks for all the comments.

I hope everyone had a great field day...

Mike
KD8JUF
Mentor, Ohio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.