• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some guidance on pc purchase

I have a laptop, that's why I want monitors above my radios. A laptop essentially occupies an area as wide as the laptop and as deep as the desk it is sitting on. Can't put anything in front of, or behind it.

I have a large desk with two shelves above it and still don't have room for a monitor. Too much radio gear. I do have enough room on the desk to for the laptop however. I will admit that if I am just looking at DX clusters and callsign info I just use my tablet.

i just bought a acer desktop with 16gb of ram 7th get intel cpu 500gb ssd
for a little ove 500.00 at bestbuy. normally i would build my own. but for what i paid for it. i couldn't build it for 500 bucks

40172283_vmain01_nd_mn.jpg

Acer Aspire E 15 E5-553-T2XN Notebook - AMD A-series A10-9600P Processor, 2.4 GHz, Win 10 Home, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, Wi-Fi, HDMI, USB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/...EdpNo=3938902&csid=ITD&Sku=40172283&imgcart=1

Great Specs for less than $450 shipped

HP ProOne 600 G1 AIO Desktop PC - Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 21.5" LED-backlit 1920x1080, DVDRW, 4x USB 3.0, Windows 10 Pro, 1 Year Warranty, Refurbished
40804461_main01_gso.jpg
$299.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/deals.asp?campaignid=3331

Hard to beat the cost of Refurbs...sure can't build one for these kinds of prices...I year warranty some systems. Last 10 years or so refurbs have all I have purchased(3x).
I am not a gamer...so no need for SUPER systems at High $$$$...The Refurb I am running now has been working without issue for going on 5 maybe 6 years...I added a 1 TB SSD and a Good 22" ASUS monitor...does everything I need it to do...It runs Windows 8.1 pro/64 bit....
Only reason I may upgrade next year is so I can upgrade to Windows X...this machine can't run that...otherwise for the $450(monitor included) I spent that many years ago has been a bargain.
When I step up I'll be looking for another refurb.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Looks like the wife jumped the gun on me, but it isn't too horrible of a deal. I think I may try to revive another laptop that I have been kicking around. I appreciate all of the input, and will keep it in mind for future reference

I have not bought a pre-configured desktop in at least 11 years. Anytime I do as soon as the warranty is up they always die on me. What do you need it do? What did you end up getting?

Last edited:
I believe it is this one. I just couldn't justify the cost of learning enough to build one.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...rd-drive-black-silver/5759907.p?skuId=5759907
It is funny back in college in the early 1990's we "my roomates" often had to dig through the trash in Detroit Corporate world for PC's that we could use as building blocks recycle the cases, power supplies, memory, cd rom drives etc.... Often you had to take 4 PC's apart to get 2 GB's of memory into one unit and today 8gb-16gb or ram is common for pc's! My first labtop only had 521MB of ram and about 3 years before I replaced it I upgraded it to about 3GB of ram and that thing was lightning quick with widows XP and 3GB of ram! LOL

Nothing wrong with buying a pre-configured desktop I just have not had much luck buying anything pre-built after about 1995 things just kept getting cheap and cheaper and less durable. Today's laptops are so flimsy that you just look at them wrong and the plastic cracks or starts to separate. Light weight paper thin laptops are not a sign of progress in my book quite the opposite in fact.

I hope it works out well for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated