• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some setup help

Feb 4, 2015
not sure topic has been posted but, i need help with running coax to the correct location.Ive got my radio, wattmeter, amp and an low pass filter..really need help on how the coax goes and where the low pass filter goes...my swr without amp on is a 1.1, now i flip the amp on it goes to 3.0....where does the low pass filter go? im confused

the swr goes up because of harmonics,, if barefooted the swr is good then you are ok,,,, the filter goes between the amp and the antenna,,, because of harmonics the reading on a swr meter usually is false when running amp,,,,just check swrs with barefoot radio if good then you are set,,,

Are you recalibrating the swr meter when the amp is on? And is the mic gain turned all the way down? You may want to add another low pass filter between radio and amp. Not for vswr reasons, but every filter helps. Remeber, clean in equals clean out. You may also have an impedance mismatch between the amp and radio or amp. Or a bad coax connector or coax. Check all connectors and coax as well. Use volt meter and ohm the connections out on all coax jumpers. And not sure what brand rf filter you have, but some have an in/out, some work either way. Sometimes issues don't show their ugly face until some power is added into the mix. If you are truly re calibrating your vswr meter when you turn the amp on and key it, you may have an issue if the vswr is going from 1.1 to 3.0. Best thing to do is check everything. Good luck and let us know if you get is resolved.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.