• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need suggestions for Echo

Josh380

Feb 1, 2020
I've got an old Rad Shack TRC-482 coming to me and I wanted to put echo in it. I had one of these when they were new and somehow crammed a Connex board into it. The radio also had a roger beep so there was NO room.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been finding out I guess the old "Connex" board was a Connex LT2 board. I only knew it as a Connex board.

I've also found that there are smaller boards now that claim to be comparable to the LT2. In fact, there seem to be so many out there now, it's hard to know which is the real deal, besides, well, the real deal LT2.

As I mentioned room is an issue in this radio. The LT2 will fit..barely. I'd like to go smaller if possible without losing the quality of the old school echo boards.

Can anyone give me a good suggestion on what I should be looking for?

The smallest thing you’ll find, will be like finding hens teeth, the echo board from a Connex 4300-300. It’s built onto the control pot and tiny.

Other than that, if room is an issue, just get yourself an echo mic or an external echo source.

Or have fun and just repeat yourself two or three times and really confuse people, they won’t know WTH is wrong with you. You might even get a check for acting that way.

I've got an old Rad Shack TRC-482 coming to me and I wanted to put echo in it. I had one of these when they were new and somehow crammed a Connex board into it. The radio also had a roger beep so there was NO room.
Can anyone give me a good suggestion on what I should be looking for?

Welcome to the forum ;)

Heres' the PDF - it pretty much gives you the schematic and the building blocks.

And some audio tricks to help...

So the links to Ebay provided this you know...

Attachments

• 65850datasheet.pdf
    73.7 KB · Views: 13
Heres' the PDF - it pretty much gives you the schematic and the building blocks.

And some audio tricks to help...

So the links to Ebay provided this you know...
Thanks but my skills don't include building my own echo board. The pre-built variety is what I'm after. I can solder wires to the proper points...that's about it.

Oh! Well, that's ok. Just wanted to supply you the "guts" of the machine...

Speaking of machines - did you know that particular chip is for Karaoke Machines?

Now, I'm not trying to pun here, but if you add talkback...

That is what is so cool about these "condensed" boards - they fit nearly anything in CB nowadays...

Reactions: Slowmover
there is no practical purpose for it

Depends on how you define "practical". A noise-cancelling mike does produce a "dry" sound since it cancels out all reverberations from the space surrounding you. A little bit of echo can simulate the sound of a base station, with some room acoustics.

Can.

Not the same as "will".

Too many kinds of echo board to just guess "sight unseen". The description of an echo board as a "Connex" is kinda generic.

Once it's in your hands, circuit-board ID numbers and/or pictures will determine what you really have.

And what you'll need to do for it.

And so true...

Wanted to post these references to links above for those that may need to know more about the CONSTRUCTION of the Knob you install or "swap out" with - there are differences as well as the base. It's - Basic Electronics and what it uses.

So the reason I posted the PDF, is for those whom may want to avoid a construction headache and make up your own for whatever application.

I've just had many times where the wiring harness these things are tied off to, or pressed onto, or Hodge-podged in, gets messed up from the "patchwork quilting" the tech or operator does to interleave the board as to make it functional - useable - and when they don't want them or they no longer work - people like me have to reassemble that, what they disassembled. And many times we have to replace the OEM posts they tried to work on, or replace the front panel fascia and several knobs and or switches just to make the radio well again.

But too, there is "CAVEAT EMPTOR" Simply due to the sellers interest in making a sale over your own interests in making an Echo board work. I'm referring to SUPPORT both for and AFTER the sale, the pics of their products varied widely and since it's eBay - your considerations, for radio, install, and operation are paramount to the overall drive of even getting these things. So you have to make the choice, and I just pointed out some things that I've had dealt with in nearly every install past the original - Does this thing have an On-Board Regulator or do I need to tap, locate - find - use the radios' own 8V+ regulator? - meaning the Volume control Echo Mixer/Delay as well as on-board ON/OFF controls and the need for their bypass.

So choose your weapon...
Listed in chronological order TRPC posted...
SixStar.jpg
DeltaEC2.jpg WorkmanBB3.jpg

DISCLAIMER...
I'm not here to make people upset, mad - angry...

I'm here to reveal some truths...

If that bothers you, then the problem is yours - not mine.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.