• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Needing help

C

CDX126

I am buying a Yaesu FT-901 DM 160-10meter rig, and wondering if there is a antenna that will work on all bands without tuning, or do I have to have a tuner? Also, Does it have to be a Dipole, Beam etc... Any help would be appreciated. CDX126

CDX126 said:
I am buying a Yaesu FT-901 DM 160-10meter rig, and wondering if there is a antenna that will work on all bands without tuning, or do I have to have a tuner? Also, Does it have to be a Dipole, Beam etc... Any help would be appreciated. CDX126

No single antenna works on all bands EFFECTIVELY, the best that you can do is a end-fed random length long wire; for that you need a TUNER.

Long wire anntenna tend to radiate RF from the feedlines also which means RF in your electronics.

an all band antenna, for the most part, is a compromise antenna.

an end fed random length wire is technically any random length of wire that is generally not fed with feedline. RF is applied to it directly in the shack (through a tuner). there is no feed line in this configuration, therefore, no feed line loss. the bad part is that you have RF right in your shack which can cause RFI to everything and you may have height restrictions.

a 'long wire' is one wavelength or greater in length for the lowest band you want to operate and usually fed at the end with open line wire (ladder line) and tuned with a tuner.

another antenna to consider is the G5RV...these are super easy to build and can be bought fairly cheap. these are good for guys who do a lot of shortwave listening or have antenna restrictions. they are not the best performers...but they get you on the air.

another option is a half wave length antenna for your lowest band of operation fed with ladder line and operated through a tuner.

it does not have to be any specific type of antenna...antennas are antennas, there are just different types of them. pretty much any type of antenna will work on any band, but there are practical limitations like height, length, etc.

I imagine that there is a commercial type antenna out there (probably a vertical) that fits your needs but it won't be cheap. if all you want to do is monitor the way to go is a long wire or random wire. cheap, easy, and you can always play with something new later.

All Band antenna/tuner

I know you were hoping to avoid one but if I were you I'd go with either a G5RV the 102 foot or more likely the G5RV-M 204' that would give you 1.8-30 mhz and unless your planning on running vast quanities of wattage which with the output of the 901 you don't need anyway get a 300 watt tuner - I have a MFJ 941e new/unused in the box F/S at about 25% off the new price. They work real good on 11m DX too I ran a Yaesu FT 840 and a G5RV 102' with a tuner and on DX it was killer.

Long wire anntenna tend to radiate RF from the feedlines also which means RF in your electronics

The best way to avoid this is to use a Balun at the feedpoint of the antenna.
I have a 400+ft end-fed longwire with a 1:1 balun, and a MFJ(mighty-fine-junk) Antenna Tuner, no problems with stray RF in the shack.
Works great.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.