• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Neighbor complaining about noise in his surround sound system . . .

Highland Ranger

Aug 28, 2005
Added an inexpensive low pass filter I had laying around, marginal impact to SWR. Not sure it helped.

Also ordered one that was highly recommended on hamnet - bencher ya-1 which I will swap in when it arrives.

Other than that anything else I can do on my end?

Antenna make a difference? Does an antenna with ground plain radials do better? Currently using an IMAX 2000

Going to try giving him some RF chokes as well.

Anything else I can do?

over driving a amp or radio will also cause that problem . what amp and radio are you running and what amount of dead-key and swing watts are you getting from them ? if your antenna is suspect a choke may help ...... 2000's are known bleeders and adding a ground plane may help also . changing to a antenna with a proper ground-plane would be the better option if money allows and you narrow it down to the antenna .

it could also simply be close proximity of the neighbors electronics to your antenna or poorly shielded electronics on their end . how far away are the neighbors ? sometimes adding ferites to the power cords of electronics and/or speaker wires can help .............. if the neighbor is willing to work with you .

stock radio 3 swing 8 maybe and a 2 pill with 2290's - based on my watt meter I wasn't over driving it as far what it is supposed to do. Max watts out were about 150 or so with a 50 dk out the amp.

Neighbors house further from antenna than mine, at least 100 yards from antenna. No interference in my house.

I'm guessing cheap electronics is it but still don't want to bother the guy - he's ok.

Sounds like another issue of cheap consumer electronics. a lack of sheilding around the audio amplifier circuitry of the surround system is more than likely the culprit as well as using that amp. About the only thing that would be of a noticible change would be to go to a stock radio, But I dought even that will help. Seen this issues more than once with systems like that. Adding a Quality low pass to your system, and ferrites to the power cord and speaker wires of you neighbor's sound system MAY help.

good luck.

No filter on the transmitter end will cure a problem with an audio device lime a surround sound amp. The speaker leads act as antennas and feed the RF nack into the amp ehere it is rectified and reproduced thru the speakers. Placing ferrite cores on the speaker and all other audio leads ad well as installing a simple 0.01uf. or so capacitor across the speaker leads on the output of the amp will in all likelihood cure it. It usually does.

When I was using a imax was when I had problems with my neighbor.....sold the imax and bought a Hy-gain Super Penetrater and put my GP up higher on a tower and have not heard anymore from my neighbor.

I say this everytime........If you're gonna run a linear in the house, it's gonna bleed on the neighbors stuff. Years ago i tryied everything but nothing worked, except one thing......dont run an amp in the house, lol. If you are a power monger (like me) get a RCI black base with built in linear, extremely clean too, Galaxy Saturn Turbo, 2995dx etc. or a mobile with a linear Galaxy HP's, Ranger 2970n2 etc or try a rfx-75 or rfx-150. Once you have a radio that is high powered get a bigger amp for extreme watts when they are sleeping or at work.

I say this everytime........If you're gonna run a linear in the house, it's gonna bleed on the neighbors stuff. Years ago i tryied everything but nothing worked, except one thing......dont run an amp in the house, lol. If you are a power monger (like me) get a RCI black base with built in linear, extremely clean too, Galaxy Saturn Turbo, 2995dx etc. or a mobile with a linear Galaxy HP's, Ranger 2970n2 etc or try a rfx-75 or rfx-150. Once you have a radio that is high powered get a bigger amp for extreme watts when they are sleeping or at work.

That's not true. Just because you run power doesn't mean you will bleed on your neighbors. This is where running a clean signal comes into play. Try running you amp where it should be run, not where it could be, and then run a filter to cut down harmonics and it will make a big difference. Sometimes just backing off the mic gain can make a big difference. Learn how to use the equipment you own properly and you will be much better off.

Reactions: 3 people
Food for thought

There's been times while in church that a trucker would pass by our church and their audio would come in loud over the sound system. Our church uses professional sound equipment.

"Thats not true" Whatever, thats your opinion. You must be the smartest one in the room, lol. Of coarse when you turn your box on, turn the mic gain down, DUH. Also peak & clip wannabe golden screwdriver tech's turning a radio full-tilt. But bottom line, after 20 years of CBing, ive tryied chokes under the antenna, rf filters(waste of $) de-tuning the radio to basicly stock. And one important thing to remember, just because your neighbors dont say anything doesnt mean your running a clean linear, they either dont want to talk to you or simply the good ol cold shoulder treatment. Also sometimes it wont bleed the next door neighbor, maybe 10 doors down.

"Thats not true" Whatever, thats your opinion. You must be the smartest one in the room, lol.

His Opinion is well versed in good radio practice, If you could not solve the RF problem you had, you just did not work hard enough to find it.
You may have "de-tuned" the radio, but did you have the proper equipment to make sure the radio was not creating garbage that was getting into consumer electronics in the area?
A well designed Amp, and a radio running properly adjusted modulation is a great start.
Many times I have run a KW + without interference.

Learn how to use the equipment you own properly and you will be much better off.

Good Advice.

Jeff

Reactions: 4 people
"Thats not true" Whatever, thats your opinion..

what he said was not "opinion",... it was factual.

I run a modest 1500 watts, and I don't have any issues with my (or any of my neighbors) equipment.

of course, I don't have 20 years of CB experience;)

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.