• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Never let a great disaster go to waste

Rwb...$0.95 a gallon for LP Gas, what a deal. It's three times that here in NC. :confused: It would be nice if you guys would send some LP gas East to us like Capt. K suggested for oil in Canada. Maybe we just have price gougers in business here.

We've got a 500 gallon tank but don't use all of it in a winter. Lots of wood goes through the stove here.

353470236.jpg
this time last year it was $2.26 a gallon.id buy minium every time.i got a 1000 gallon tank and a 500 gallon tank so i filled both. 80% is all you can put in a tank but hitting winter full is relief 1200 gallons ima keep warm

Current prices for regular gasoline here is $1.126 per litre which works out to about CDN$ 4.26 for a US gallon. For an Imperial gallon which is what we use it works out to CDN$5.11 No idea what home heating fuel is. I have a large ducted heat pump and will be installing a pellet stove this fall. Already have the site survey etc scheduled for October.
Man that sounds expensive, no wonder we have so many "Winter Texans" from Canada.

Rt now we are $2.79 for diesel, thanks to Iran and greedy opportunists.

Reactions: 357magnum
Under the guise of "Not letting a disaster go to waste"......here is one from TNM.

The Truth About Texas and FEMA Dollars
tnm.me
fema-flood-1038x543.png
While Texans are still reeling from the effects of Tropical Storm Imelda, a familiar refrain about Texas dependence on FEMA in the face of natural disasters is again making the rounds. Any notion that Texas needs FEMA is misinformation at best and a blatant lie at worst.

It is important to remember that FEMA does not do any actual immediate disaster relief. That is handled by the Texas Military Department as well as local and State law enforcement and volunteers. FEMA’s primary role is logistics and administration. In short, they come in and take control of what Texas is already doing well.

In the aftermath, FEMA coordinates the distribution of some, not all, of the resources being funneled into the areas affected by the disaster. That includes cots for shelters, some bottled water, and some ice. However, this a an extremely small percentage when compared to the outpouring of donations from private relief organizations, churches, and individuals.

As anyone in Texas can tell you, FEMA gets in the way more than it helps. During Hurricanes Rita and Ike, they refused to distribute ice collected for the disaster zones until county sheriffs ordered it to be done with or without FEMA authorization. During the Bastrop wildfires, they turned away firefighters that came from all over Texas to help fight the fires. These are just two examples that show how the same bureaucratic cancer that infects every other Federal agency is at its absolute worst in FEMA.

What FEMA really does is hand out money. Looking at FEMA’s assistance in the wake of Hurricane Ike makes for a solid comparison. FEMA approved 121,666 Individual Assistance Applications and spent $532 million on individual assistance. It spent another $2.2 billion on Public Assistance Grants. In total, for Hurricane Ike, FEMA assistance in Texas totaled approximately $2.7 billion.

Annually, Texans pay approximately $120-160 billion more into the Federal system than we receive. Since Hurricane Ike in 2007, that amounts to over $1 trillion in overpayments. This is over 300 times what FEMA spent on Hurricane Ike. This has the same negative economic impact as an event the magnitude of Hurricane Harvey hitting Texas every 9 months.

The bottom line is this: every dollar that FEMA spends in Texas first comes from the pockets of the Texas taxpayers. FEMA is only in the picture to retroactively justify the theft of our tax money by the Federal Government under the guise of a natural disaster.

Texans take care of Texans. The world saw it happen during Hurricane Harvey and we’re seeing it happen right now. Texans could do it much better if we kept the money that we overpay.

Image attribution: “FEMA building_02” by US Department of State is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0

Since 2005, the Texas Nationalist Movement has been on the front lines of Texas independence, fighting for your right of self-government. In that time, we have taken support for an independent Texas to historic levels and are now closer than ever to securing a vote on independence. We have successfully advocated for pro-Texas legislation that has moved us even closer to independence. As one of the largest self-determination movements in the world, we know that our members are making a difference, not just here in Texas, but also around the world. Join with us and let’s build on our success together.

-------------------------------------
My own experience with FEMA after Harvey left me wondering why they were even there, the reps were pizza faced kids with no experience walking around with I Pads and reading scripts. I was dismayed by lack of any actual help from FEMA. We got more help from state/ local and volunteer groups.

FEMA, after not having the capability to address situation, then directed you their web site. Another useless tool. But after reading in the above article, I realize one of the first questions FEMA would ask...."Do you have home owners insurance?". They only wanted to mitigate and create more bureaucratic bullshit at taxpayers expense.

Last edited:
In a disaster the locals OFTEN (always) need work.

But, with FEMA that goes to authorized contractors. Who import scab labor.

The government — like corporations one and all — now exists to guarantee the profit of insiders with zero liability for those profit takers.

I've always thought that the USA has more oil than we let on. We just import everyone else's and horde ours.

It’s the most complicated shell game on the planet: Proven Reserves.

The US Dollar isn’t gold-backed, it’s oil-backed. The oil of many other countries, not just the US.

Canada and Mexico are just extensions of US oil as the movement of oil is where all the bets are laid.

The Persian Gulf is the other point of interest for Vegas odds.

It’s too easy to track pipeline and rail shipments. Therefore, the high rollers room is for ocean shipment.

“Transparency” is not an applicable term for this industry.

US oil should have gone bankrupt quite a while ago. Instead (my guess) is that the fracking biz has a guarantee. There’s too much riding on domestic production to allow it to collapse.

All money — wherever found — has an inherent energy debt. That ratio is what props things up (world economy). Too high, no one can afford the cost of borrowing. Too low, and the petroleum biz disappears.

The cost of extraction is simply too high compared to decades ago. And demand.

There’ve been NO giant field discoveries to offset this.

Thus, a shell game.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.