• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 2970N2

Damn if I just knew how to solder!!!!

If you don’t have a good way to crimp large terminals, and aren’t soldering, a large center punch is about the best you can do. As the material is all copper, you could even grind/sand/file a point on a piece of mild steel and get away with it.

Lay the terminal (with the cable fully inside) on the end grain of a block of wood...put punch in the center of the ferrule, and give it a good whack.

I have access to full benches of hydraulic crimping gear, and I still occasionally use this method in the field. I usually plan to put a proper crimp on later, and never do.

Just got a chance to hook up the radio. I have a 52 amp power supply and when transmitting The display goes out and then back on . help please?

Bobby
My suggestion would be to send to some good tech. and the voltage checked on the mofits.
Radio is drawing to much juice - I had the same problem with my N2.

I sent it to DTB radio back then and he got it straightened out - the radio would hit 300 watts and then shut down. It came back doing 225 and working great on a 35 amp supply, pulling just 21 amp.

Quality crimp tools were a purchase for me this year. Three types. Over $150 (and not the very best pro stuff).

There are also some self-soldering connectors now. Was discussing them with a friend who custom builds hot rods. On Amazon.

USCG doesn’t allow soldering. Boats & ships have too much vibration & pounding. ANCOR and some others make Marine Grade which I’ve been using 20+ years without incident. (Have had some custom cables made; consider that).

Reactions: Woody-202
Quality crimp tools were a purchase for me this year. Three types. Over $150 (and not the very best pro stuff).

There are also some self-soldering connectors now. Was discussing them with a friend who custom builds hot rods. On Amazon.

USCG doesn’t allow soldering. Boats & ships have too much vibration & pounding. ANCOR and some others make Marine Grade which I’ve been using 20+ years without incident. (Have had some custom cables made; consider that).

I like soldering, but I've hand-crimped terminals using the above center-punch method on tractors and other equipment that runs 10+ hours a day nearly every day of the year..and they hold up just fine.

And if a hand crimp can hold up on a 30-year-old Ford harvester, or 50-year-old D6, then it can for sure hold up on a bench power supply.

Problem solved just had to make my crimp connections tighter!!!(y)
One thing I always do after I make a connection is give it a tug. Crimp connectors, screw terminals, soldered connections all get a tug to make sure it is solid. A proper crimp connection makes a "cold weld" and if it is crimped properly, there would be no place for the solder to go if it were soldered after it was crimped.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated