• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

A99 VS GM???

Dave, what level of improvement in signal increase, both RX & TX, has Carl seen on the SGM over the A99?

It's only what Caine has posted on CT site. I have not spoken to him yet. As my CB shack is in an out building unlike my Ham one and we have 3 foot of snow and at 3PM today it was Minus 10 !!. But I do know a decent improvement over the A99 was noted. Should be realy as a A99 is an endfed Halfwave with Unity Gain. I will do a two way video with Carl. On the first CB review I do have his TX and RX report on the video gate on his A99. He replaced it on the same pole/feeder with the GM. I will (when not like the Artic) do another Videogate of him. Should be interesting. I do know he is impressed with the far lower (S 2 lower) of noise and static that his A99 had Scott

It's only what Caine has posted on CT site. I have not spoken to him yet. As my CB shack is in an out building unlike my Ham one and we have 3 foot of snow and at 3PM today it was Minus 10 !!. But I do know a decent improvement over the A99 was noted. Should be realy as a A99 is an endfed Halfwave with Unity Gain. I will do a two way video with Carl. On the first CB review I do have his TX and RX report on the video gate on his A99. He replaced it on the same pole/feeder with the GM. I will (when not like the Artic) do another Videogate of him. Should be interesting. I do know he is impressed with the far lower (S 2 lower) of noise and static that his A99 had Scott

Roger Dave, but forgive me I'm a little confused, was it Carl or Caine? I was presuming it was the Carl whom you said saw improvement on your signal and had an A99, which I wanted the two of you to swap simultaneously from A99s to SGMs to show the difference x 2...?

:unsure::unsure: i'm not understanding your ,"2 resonant points statement"

None of those are resonant points Eddie, at resonance X (reactance) = 0,

R (resistance) can equal anything at resonance depending on the design of the antenna.

common characteristic feed resistances would be 36 ohms [1/4 wave gp],
72 ohms [dipole] , approx 54 ohms [starduster], 50 ohms [silver rod,5/8 waves etc, due to being shunt fed and tapped on coil at 50 ohm point]

When the antenna is resonant Z (impedance) will be the sum of the antennas characteristic feed resistance + 0 reactance.

George, the figures I got from my analyzer (a $200 meter) shows as close as it can register, plus consider that I know my analyzer typically shows 52-54 ohms when testing with a 5% 50 ohm resister and it seldom registers reactance = 0 at any point on a test or a dummy load. These little analyzers are just not real lab quality, zero error devices so why expect such results. I posted what I saw. Do you think I might have skipped right on by R=50 ohms & X=0 as I scanned the Gain Master without even noticing the true resonance? What if the antenna is not perfect either and won't show a perfect match?

Also lets consider the fact that I was using a long feed line...even though it was intended to be resonant at the middle of CB by its construction. It probably won't do as theory would suggest and remain totally transparent.

Sirio showed us some graphs and some numbers and I was hoping my analyzer and inline meter results might just be close to their numbers...and as it turned out that is what seems to have happened. In theory you are correct, and we should always strive to reach perfection, but seldom are we successful. You may do better at your end, but this is the best I can do...at least in my situation.

007 was concerned that his GM antenna was damaged so I scanned my GM again, and recorded the numbers as close to perfect as I could get. The little scan knob on my meter is very sensitive and the values it tries to record are at a ridiculously close tolerance. My old trimblin' hands sometimes can't even dial a phone right, so cut me some slack :blink: for not being technically perfect. I was trying to give 007 my numbers so maybe he would have something to compare with his antenna while trying to determine if his GM was damaged.

007 my results are not perfect, they are however as CLOSE as me and my little meter can get. (y)

BTW George, if you will look at Sirio's SWR graph, they note two low points on the graph. I would consider those resonance points. Maybe it is not resonance in the technical sense, but it is close enough for me. Also in the text of Sirio's manual I think they talk a bit about how their 5/8 wave center fed diople design, as such, helps provide the bandwidth their new antenna provides. Let me also admit here that my bandwidth scan shows my physical antenna is a bit wider that Sirio indicates. Imperfect again.

I have not compared other scan results, but I think that Oggy or one of the guy's east of here posted a video showing their MFJ-259 scans of their GM. Maybe they did a better job and were more accurate that you could check on for perfection. Let me know if they were successful and we can refer there.

Gain Master vs. AstroPlane 02 (640x480).jpg

George, the figures I got from my analyzer (a $200 meter) shows as close as it can register, plus consider that I know my analyzer typically shows 52-54 ohms when testing with a 5% 50 ohm resister and it seldom registers reactance = 0 at any point on a test or a dummy load. These little analyzers are just not real lab quality, zero error devices so why expect such results. I posted what I saw. Do you think I might have skipped right on by R=50 ohms & X=0 as I scanned the Gain Master without even noticing the true resonance? What if the antenna is not perfect either and won't show a perfect match?

Also lets consider the fact that I was using a long feed line...even though it was intended to be resonant at the middle of CB by its construction. It probably won't do as theory would suggest and remain totally transparent.

Sirio showed us some graphs and some numbers and I was hoping my analyzer and inline meter results might just be close to their numbers...and as it turned out that is what seems to have happened. In theory you are correct, and we should always strive to reach perfection, but seldom are we successful. You may do better at your end, but this is the best I can do...at least in my situation.

007 was concerned that his GM antenna was damaged so I scanned my GM again, and recorded the numbers as close to perfect as I could get. The little scan knob on my meter is very sensitive and the values it tries to record are at a ridiculously close tolerance. My old trimblin' hands sometimes can't even dial a phone right, so cut me some slack :blink: for not being technically perfect. I was trying to give 007 my numbers so maybe he would have something to compare with his antenna while trying to determine if his GM was damaged.

007 my results are not perfect, they are however as CLOSE as me and my little meter can get. (y)

BTW George, if you will look at Sirio's SWR graph, they note two low points on the graph. I would consider those resonance points. Maybe it is not resonance in the technical sense, but it is close enough for me. Also in the text of Sirio's manual I think they talk a bit about how their 5/8 wave center fed diople design, as such, helps provide the bandwidth their new antenna provides. Let me also admit here that my bandwidth scan shows my physical antenna is a bit wider that Sirio indicates. Imperfect again.

I have not compared other scan results, but I think that Oggy or one of the guy's east of here posted a video showing their MFJ-259 scans of their GM. Maybe they did a better job and were more accurate that you could check on for perfection. Let me know if they were successful and we can refer there.

View attachment 3771

Hello Marconi, I did tests with a £400 MFJ analizer but this is not what I class as Lab gear, just a guide. As I pointed out too. These are just my results in my location by a Dedicated Radio Hobbyist. I am not a profesional and I can only show what I found along with the local guys. This antenna (in the main) seems to perform better for most people than their current Omi. But there again may not for others. I think for me it is a worthwile addition for sure.

Roger Dave, but forgive me I'm a little confused, was it Carl or Caine? I was presuming it was the Carl whom you said saw improvement on your signal and had an A99, which I wanted the two of you to swap simultaneously from A99s to SGMs to show the difference x 2...?

Carl and Cain are BOTH on the videos. Carl has purchased the GM (the very night we did the original SGN test he was on the phone to his dealer...Sunday @ 8PM!!). Caine helped him install it on his house last Saturday. Both of them run A99s. Caine says he is buying a SGM ASAP too. As he's impressed by it. I hope this clears it up Scott. I know we had a lot of operators involved (seven in total on CB and 10 Meters including me).........73's Dave

OK, I got it now. :blink:

Wow, I hope you're buying stock in Sirio, or at least they should throw a complimentary 2nd SGM your way because I think you have single-handedly successfully proselytized ½ the world's CB'ers in favor of the SGM!!

I wonder how far their back orders will soon be stacking up?

BTW, I tried sending him an email but it was returned, if you could I'd appreciate an email address which will get me through to him at Sirio.

73!

Hello Marconi, I did tests with a £400 MFJ analizer but this is not what I class as Lab gear, just a guide. As I pointed out too. These are just my results in my location by a Dedicated Radio Hobbyist. I am not a profesional and I can only show what I found along with the local guys. This antenna (in the main) seems to perform better for most people than their current Omi. But there again may not for others. I think for me it is a worthwile addition for sure.

Oggy, I just got mine raised up to about 55' to the tip yesterday, so my reports are limited so far. Two local and one DX report from Robb indicate the GM shows more signal. One local about 10 miles away saw 3 Sunits gain, and another over 30 miles reported a little over 1 Sunit. I don't know exactly what Robb saw, but he indicated the signal was improved when I switched to the Gain Master. Typically I don't depend on DX signals much.

The big thing I notice in listening is the clarity and gain of signals out in the distance when it is quiet. Sometimes I switch antennas and I'll copy a signal that I was not hearing on the AstroPlane at 45' feet to the tip. That amazes me, because I have only one antenna that hears better than my AP and I've always commented how quiet they both are, when conditions are nice and quiet. If it's really noisy conditions however, then nothing really seems to matter...even if I see the needle drop a point or two on switching.

Last edited:
7 steps? That should be closer to 25' unless you're 7' tall! :D

You're right 007, but I was taking a step with one foot and then the other while counting 5, them 10. That is what I meant to say anyway. So I really took 14 steps actual steps while counting at every other one.

Try this for Sirio: Info Sirio Antenne srl <info@sirioantenne.it>

Edit: I just remembered 007, the old Boy Scout idea was to count by 5 with every left foot starting on the right should be about 5' feet.

Last edited:
This is another one I'll just have to try to homebrew when the weather returns, and I better understand the mechanical aspects of the matching system within the tube.
You guys are just having too much fun.

You're right 007, but I was taking a step with one foot and then the other while counting 5, them 10. That is what I meant to say anyway. So I really took 14 steps actual steps while counting at every other one.

Try this for Sirio: Info Sirio Antenne srl <info@sirioantenne.it>

Are you sure you weren't running after some...
jug.gif

LOL

OK, I got it now. :blink:

Wow, I hope you're buying stock in Sirio, or at least they should throw a complimentary 2nd SGM your way because I think you have single-handedly successfully proselytized ½ the world's CB'ers in favor of the SGM!!

I wonder how far their back orders will soon be stacking up?

BTW, I tried sending him an email but it was returned, if you could I'd appreciate an email address which will get me through to him at Sirio.

73!

I wish Scott. Maybe mention what you just said in your E-mail to Sirio ,it is nice to be reconised for my help. I did see they put the videos on their website. I'm sure a second antenna could come in handy....LOL. No honestly I only did the tests to satisfy my own doubts as I am a big fan of the Shakesphere products.It wasn't to get anything out of it to be honest. I also knew if it did what was claimed it would become a big seller. The link Marconi put to Sirio is the one I always use with no issues. FTAO Stefania......I find then very easy to deal with.

Nice One !

Oggy, I just got mine raised up to about 55' to the tip yesterday, so my reports are limited so far. Two local and one DX report from Robb indicate the GM shows more signal. One local about 10 miles away saw 3 Sunits gain, and another over 30 miles reported a little over 1 Sunit. I don't know exactly what Robb saw, but he indicated the signal was improved when I switched to the Gain Master. Typically I don't depend on DX signals much.

The big thing I notice in listening is the clarity and gain of signals out in the distance when it is quiet. Sometimes I switch antennas and I'll copy a signal that I was not hearing on the AstroPlane at 45' feet to the tip. That amazes me, because I have only one antenna that hears better than my AP and I've always commented how quiet they both are, when conditions are nice and quiet. If it's really noisy conditions however, then nothing really seems to matter...even if I see the needle drop a point or two.

It's nice to hear of your improvements for sure. I am enjoying taking a back seat so to speak to see how every one else gets on with it. Every one in Europe has seen an improvement who has bought one up to yet. It will be interesting to see how height ect ect changes things. My tests were done on my tower cranked down (to a similar height to the Shaky). In summer I will crank the tower up.........then the tip of the SGM will be over 100 feet up. But before this it will need a much better and longer feeder.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.