• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

007, I took a few minutes to adjust a 5/8 wave cut for 27.205 mhz at 270" vs. 276.5" as you suggest. I'm using 102" radials over real Earth and in free space for the comparison. I had no idea what differences I would find by modeling the .625 vs. 64, but CDX007's conclusions and No's turned out to be pretty close. So close in fact, as to likely be meaningless differences, but he was close. His conclusion about the unmatched impedance being a bit lower with the longer .64 radiator was also good. I don't know if it means much, but good work 007.

I did not have a .64 model made, but adjusting the .625 model to a .64 wave model at 6.5" longer was easy and all it took was one adjustment, then I ran the scans for results. The following results are for a 5/8 and .64 wave radiator in free space and over real Earth using 4 x 102" horizontal radials @ a 40' foot elevation with no mast, feed line, or matching. Sorry, but I did not record the matching info for the real Earth models. I can post the Eznec5 stuff, but I prefer to just recap in the following format.

Free Space = "FS", and Real Earth = "RE".

Radiator Length inches, Gain, Max Angle, Resistance, Reactance, FS/RE.

276.5", 3.20dbi, 40*, RE
270.0", 3.29dbi, 10*, RE
270.0", 1.89dbi, 20*, 83.14, -J273.7, FS
276.5", 1.92dbi, 20*, 70.70, -J234.3, FS

The differences are not much and I would find one hard pressed to measure the difference, except maybe by modeling, or using very high tech lab grade devices to do specific comparison testing.

I think Jazzsinger is right the difference between the .625 and the .64 is a difference without much of a distinction.

Don't ignore the .64 model above that shows a change in maximum angle from 10* to 40*, where the max lobe position goes to a higher lobe when adding the 6.5" to the radiator. Maybe this is what is being talked about when folks make the statement that the .625 wavelength is the maximum length radiator at resonance for continued low angle radiation from a single element vertical monopole.

Seems to me these scientists types only talk about models and antennas in free space and I think this is a classic example. IMO, it is also the same issue (free space and infinite ground plans) that often confuses the conversation when discussing radiator length vs. gain.

Last edited:
Nicely done, Marconi! One thing, and I don't know if it will affect performance, the radials are 8' 9" plus about 2" of mounting bracket, plus their average diameter of .5", so I'd enter them as 108.6" @ 27.2MHz.

Also, I calc ~278" for 27.2MHz. - I'd like to know the 10° gain factor on the corrected .64.

Is it possible to raise the radials 11" up the .64 radiator on eznec?

By the way, due to the diameter of the main radiator tubing it ends up about 2.5" shorter in real world applications, and even shorter on mine since I set it for X=0/1, 52ohms at 27.385MHz @ 273.5".

I'd like you to try a .64, have you an I-10K you could impermanently mod to a full, top-hat-less 273.5" (27.385MHz), then correct the match settings for X, R & SWR to see the end resulting net gain/ loss on the meter in comparison to readings logged using the stock 5/8 I-10K, particularly at longer distances such as 40+ miles?

"believed by a small minority"

i can't help but think those are the keywords on the .64, pmsl. do you not find it strange no other manufacturer on any other band in the spectrum sells .64 antennas? i'm thinking its just more cb bullshit like the A99 9.9 dbi gain.

Come on George every one knows the A99 has 9.9 DBi of gain............like they know Father Christmas DOES come down the chimney and the tooth Fairy calls at night!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:. Like you say lots of CB Bulls@it myths for sure!

we should have the first production run of the i-jay ready soon jazz,
your order has been processed, awaiting materials from dxengineering, they don't do the pink fiberglass tube you requested so mel called at boots for some varnish, i will ship it with the antenna at no extra cost;)

:unsure:typical, just like you didn't listen to me about how good the j pole really is, you didn't listen when i requested lilac fibreglass tubing. i'm sure i'll find a use for the varnish though (y) tell mel i said thanks for the effort. she's an angel . (y)(y)

can't wait to test my i-jay 2010 :D:D against the poxy sigma/vector and SGM wannabes.

It could prove to be VERY INTERESTING if "Jay on the Mojave' would weigh in on the .64 question. I'm quite sure he has looked into this.

Jay - where are you man?

i agree .
but he does advertise the i10k as a "5/8 wavelength antenna" .

Home of the Interceptor 10* Antenna

"A Hairpin / Beta Impedance Matching System is used to allow the I-10K to be assembled to be a 5/8 Wavelength Antenna, while matching the coax impedance to the I-10K antenna impedance."

What's the myth part, -that adding 6.5" to the length of a 5/8 (enough added length to force a retuning of the matching network) has any beneficial effect at all on the signal? At least it's an additional (2.5%) of capture area which, if nothing else, should help receive.

George, I didn't invent or modify it to be .64, that's factory (6.5" longer than an I-10K or Sigma5/8 tuned for same freq.) but I have tested it against the metal 5/8 Sigma5/8 & I-10K and at distance the Penetrator always came out on top, but now I'm also wondering about the Penetrator having elevated radials; with reference to the strongest 11" of reverse current at the base being split off and sent toward earth... maybe that's what is helping to make the most difference?

Scott you wouldn't be the first guy that thought 6.5" had any significant beneficial effect, :D:D

As many women will tell you its not the length,its the way you use it that matters ;) ;) :tongue:

the extra factory 6.5" will be more down to a differring type of matching system than anything else.the fact it may show slight improvement over most 5/8's is most likely down too not using a lossy coil matching system than an extra 6.5"

wow theres finally a fiberglass antenna that actually put signal
out instead of in your neighbors tv..lol.thank you sirio.
the thing that always turned me off on the imax was the fact
that the noise made it hard sometimes impossible to copy
some.when i had my imax i had 2-3 sunits of noise.whats
the point in that can talk to people i cant hear on my imax
i USED to run..lol

Scott you wouldn't be the first guy that thought 6.5" had any significant beneficial effect, :D:D

As many women will tell you its not the length,its the way you use it that matters ;) ;) :tongue:

Yeah, yeah... rub it in. Now you know why I have to use an amplifier
smoking1.gif

Come on George every one knows the A99 has 9.9 DBi of gain............like they know Father Christmas DOES come down the chimney and the tooth Fairy calls at night!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:. Like you say lots of CB Bulls@it myths for sure!

I really don't appreciate this, Dave... Next thing you know, you'll be trying to tell people that it's really alright to use BASE SWRz in the MOBILE!
whackadoodle.gif

:oops: ...I think we forgot this is an antenna thread. :D

OK, so, I didn't get it up today but... Uh, I mean,

I didn't get to erect the Sir...

Uhm, I'll be installing the new Sirio on the P500 mast & coax tomorrow, I didn't get it done today because I was lazy, and I enjoyed it! :p

OK, I decided to use mine instead of Phil's new one, so it's now installed on the P500 mast/coax/height and I'm seeing +5dB on receive, about +2dB on TX.

I don't understand why it doesn't seem to be reciprocal, RX to TX, perhaps it's a result of the internal smashed coax, but I am happy with the outcome though I've only tried it with ~120w so far.

OK, I decided to use mine instead of Phil's new one, so it's now installed on the P500 mast/coax/height and I'm seeing +5dB on receive, about +2dB on TX.

I don't understand why it doesn't seem to be reciprocal, RX to TX, perhaps it's a result of the internal smashed coax, but I am happy with the outcome though I've only tried it with ~120w so far.

007, you're reporting to us that the SGM shows stronger signals than your modified P500? "WOW!!!" hearing that is amazing. What's different now compared to a while back when you first got your SGM?

How are you getting db measurements?

How did your test stations report in db's?

How many stations have you compared for your report?

Were your comparison results from your P500 also at 120 watts?

You question the db difference between TX/RX, don't you think that the amp has something significant to add to your TX? How would that add to your RX using an amp, turn on the pre-amp? What if you were running 10,000 watts?

Why do you use an amp in such tests?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.