• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Nice to have the forum back! Eddie, which direction is the Imax from the SGM mast?

And about how far, ~35'?

Nice to have the forum back! Eddie, which direction is the Imax from the SGM mast?

And about how far, ~35'?

I think I measured it a while back and it was 35' feet pole to pole. The NTO is north behind my home, the GM is to the south of it.

Hey Simon, this is Marconi. If this was me that posted something no entirely true, then let me know...I want to explain or say I'm sorry, OK?

I was informed that i abused the antenna with 800watts. And indeed you copied my picture from another thread also without asking, check where you took the picture from it says no unlawful usage. The antennas that failed were failing less than 300watts. Anyways we have been making more tests the last days and indeed the Gain Master is not so superior to many we have tried. Dumped all mine except the 1st one with new insides.

Gain Master is a lot of talk sadly not backed up wth use. Dave M0OGY told me my results were based on the soil the antenna mast was sat on, and also where the house was built. Can be....
All I know we went on a roof, lay antennas side by side and called to a remote station via Rf and watched the results via Skype and it was not so wonderful.

And am amazed that an Imax and A99 could not make 60km, and then with a Gain Master it was S5/6.. I cannot understand that, and have asked locals and was told it was obvious BS but not my comments..

Pay your money, take your chance. I was a believer till saw more results, saw more tests and here now in Germany also see more and more GM for sale from there users.

I was informed that i abused the antenna with 800watts. And indeed you copied my picture from another thread also without asking, check where you took the picture from it says no unlawful usage. The antennas that failed were failing less than 300watts. Anyways we have been making more tests the last days and indeed the Gain Master is not so superior to many we have tried. Dumped all mine except the 1st one with new insides.

Gain Master is a lot of talk sadly not backed up wth use. Dave M0OGY told me my results were based on the soil the antenna mast was sat on, and also where the house was built. Can be....
All I know we went on a roof, lay antennas side by side and called to a remote station via Rf and watched the results via Skype and it was not so wonderful.

And am amazed that an Imax and A99 could not make 60km, and then with a Gain Master it was S5/6.. I cannot understand that, and have asked locals and was told it was obvious BS but not my comments..

Pay your money, take your chance. I was a believer till saw more results, saw more tests and here now in Germany also see more and more GM for sale from there users.

Simon, thanks for responding.

I don't think I'll be making an apology here today, but I'll try and explain as I understand this issue. IMO, the one that informed you that I said you used 800-1000 watts did not read my words as I intended my post to relate. I did use terms like "...I think" and "...I don't recall the specifics" in that post, but apparently those words meant nothing to the trouble maker.

So at worst, I was vague about how the damage you showed in the image had occurred. It is true that I snatched the image from your post on Chralie Tango, but I was only trying to inform the guys over here, because I had been touting the GM and I wasn't previously aware of such problems. I had been doing 500 up to legal limit into my GM, and I hadn't had a problem. However, after seeing your post I wanted to cover my earlier words a bit in case someone else chose to misquote or misunderstand me again.

I also read the CT policy statement, but the part referring to image, logos, products, and names...I took to mean those specific items that described and identified the Charlie Tango brand, and not necessarily the personal contributions for information made by the members.

I just never thought for a minute their statement meant everything that is posted on their Website is protected under penalty of law. If it is so however, then I might question the presence there of my name, your name, or the image you posted being on the Website. I figured I would make a public service announcement about a possible problem in a product that I was recommending to others, and that is it, and that should be pretty simple and obvious to all. I even emailed Sirio and posted the results to the WWRF website, trying to further verify the claim you made. I was trying to alert others to be cautious and consider your problem and warning.

I will gladly admit, I'm not a lawyer, and I could be wrong. So you could complain to WWRF and to Charlie Tango and have me band for life I suppose, or you could take it like a man...and just forget the matter like I have.

BTW, as a personal note: I never had an inkling of a thought that your failure was as a result of 800-1000 watts. I had heard such words being chattered about somewhere, but was not sure where. I was not confused with your words, I recall you were quite clear with the facts...that your failure was probably the result of a lot less wattage, and I assumed you likely had some other issue with your station.

Thanks for giving me the chance to explain.

question

Dxswe, here is my Signal Report for my Gain Master vs. Imax and I get about the same signals with a little advantage in favor of the GM.

View attachment 4084

My recent Signal Reports are posted in my album here on WWRF and when I compared the GM to my A99, not one of the reports for the A99 showed less than 7.2 sunit average on three reports, which is better than the Imax in the image above.

I hear it all the time that almost everything around in CB verticals trounces the old A99, but I didn't see that recently and you can also look as some older reports I have posted as well...that show the same regarding the A99. I don't tout the A99, because I know that some give problems, but out of three A99's over the years...this one really performs well for me. The others did too, but they were nasty with TVI problems, like my Imax above. I have never like my Imax for this reason, but it too works great even compared to my New Gain Master which doesn't raise a hint of TVI or RF problems in my shack.

Sorry if you guys saw this earlier than my edit, I posted the wrong image to the post. It is corrected now.

when i average the numbers on your signal report sheet, i come up with an average of 7.2 for the Imax and 7.0 for the GM. or are you you adjusting for the - and + for each signal report? thanks

when i average the numbers on your signal report sheet, i come up with an average of 7.2 for the Imax and 7.0 for the GM. or are you you adjusting for the - and + for each signal report? thanks

I never have seen any s meter where you can distinguish a 7.1 to a 7.3

that is true...however in previous posts in conjunction with Marconis data he has already established that individual s unit reports for all his antennas do not show that the GM is a superior antenna, in fact the individual s unit reports show that you can do just as well with other antennas.

marco, i am just trying to find out how you got the average cuz i could not get it to add up or average out the same as you.

Note the term used here: Average He is averaging all the signal strengths together. That is done by adding all the signal strengths together for each antenna, then dividing by the number of reports. That provides an average.

But I have owned several rigs with meters which easily show a .2 S-unit deflection, Johnson 223, Icom 751a, 761, Kenwood TS-940S, 930S, etc.
Any good analog meter will typically delineate this amount of deflection, and less. This is one reason I prefer analog over digital S meters.

You could always use a VOM meter and read the voltage.

Why you telling me, I know what to use. If he is not seeing much movement on his smeter when switching antennas I would assume it is working correctly and is not a loose meter. Marconi uses good radios the S meter I am sure is calibrated correctly. Imagine if the antenna had 1 actual db of difference which is alot of gain difference no one is re writing physics how much will his meter move?

Note the term used here: Average He is averaging all the signal strengths together. That is done by adding all the signal strengths together for each antenna, then dividing by the number of reports. That provides an average.

But I have owned several rigs with meters which easily show a .2 S-unit deflection, Johnson 223, Icom 751a, 761, Kenwood TS-940S, 930S, etc.
Any good analog meter will typically delineate this amount of deflection, and less. This is one reason I prefer analog over digital S meters.

313g26q.jpg

Thanks gamegetter, you're right the way you added up the numbers without taking into account what the + & - means. When I use these signs after a number I'm not quite sure that maybe the value to record is a little better than the number or a bit less. In adding a 7+ I add it as 7.5 and 7-, I add it as 6.5.

You're wise to check any evidence produced to support an idea. IMO, the fear of being checked is one reason we don't see more supporting evidence for the ideas presented here on the Internet.

These ssb readings are hard to tell sometimes, and when I'm not sure it gets really arbitrary...so I try not to use these signs too often. When possible I'll even wait for another chance at the signal. Sometimes it just doesn't happen when recording local RX signals only. It would be great if I could take two-way reports too, but that is surely a problem around my location. These old hardheaded guys I know don't realize that I'm recording their signals, and I don't talk antennas on-the-air. It's just not worth the hassle and arguments. I do enjoy talking about antennas and radio with folks that are really interested though. I consider it a valuable way to help me learn.

In fact I just did a video trying to help explain some of my ideas on comparing antennas using my Signal Reports and videos, even though I know it'll send some into a fit of rage almost...using certain expletives. I haven't decided yet, if I should post it on YouTube however. Sometimes it seems best not to try and explain things. Seems that guys making categorical type statements, off the top of their head or just repeating something they heard on the Internet, or on-the-air, is the most accepted and reliable unsupported evidence for what really goes on in the real world of two-way radio.

Doing otherwise is a lot of work and record keeping in order to provide some support to make for good arguments. Believe me, I've considered to join that crowd of "one liners" many times, as one of those that I refer to as...CB'ers that IMO doesn't really have much to add...but petty biting and insulting short comments or responds like a pet talking Parrot repeating just what he hears.

Thanks for checking my #'s, I do find that I make errors and though it may be unusual in this day and time, I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong.

MrS is right, I don't record anything but whole numbers and when I use a (+ or - ) I (add or minus) a .5 to the number and that shows up with X.xx values in the averaging sometimes, just like 007 says. Averaging just reduces everything to a weighted value for all the signals on a report and is done for comparative reasons only. That shouldn't be too hard to figure out even for a CB'er.

Remember guys, you have to read the words, just looking at the pictures does not always tell the full story. When I leave the words out, you're on your own.

BTW, I don't know how my meters are calibrated. I think the AGC circuit affects different signals differently and that may account in part...why many of my signals are about the same from a station 10 miles away vs. one 20-30 miles. Sometimes I hear a trucker that hits me with S9 on one antenna show 10/S9 on another antenna. Being as close as they can get to me, I doubt there is really that much difference in the antennas, and if it is then if probably has something to do with the angles of max signals or reflections that combine with line of sight signals. I can't see signals anymore and my eyesight is failing me vs. you younger guys out there, so help this old man out a little, OK?

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see such a change in view about the performance on this antenna. I understand the disappointment with power handling and perhaps the increase in price. None of these issues effected the performance of my antenna. After 3 months of use I am more then convinced the GM performs every bit as good as my Sigma did and there is little to no chance any 5/8 wave GP is going to match it under proper testing conditions.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.