• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW ANTENNA

If it's mounted horizontally (the boom) then it's horizontally polarized. Twist it 90 degrees and you gotta vertical, but at 10-15 feet, don't count on much...either way - lol. Why horizontal for a 'spiral' antenna like this one? Beats me but I figure it cuts down on the sagging of the spirals between supports. Then again, most HF stuff under 20 meters is sort of horizontally polarized anyway.
About the 'matching'. You're right, where you tap the spirals will make a difference. But it's gonna be close to 50 ohms anyway. May not be a 'perfect' 50 ohms, but who cares, close does count.
- 'Doc

I have to say that while “space” may be a problem, it will probably come down to what I consider is “portable”.

If I don’t like the town I’m in, I can with a couple hours notice, be on the road. (That’s the leisurely rate of departure).

11-meter, and on a mast, is the beginning.

Ah, ha, the chain-yanker (one Texan to another; got old hearing the same stories forty-years on the frontier; thus this shared proclivity. And it’s cessation. Too many mornings at Dairy Queen). Read your thread. And the comments. Since 11-meter is the only use of Antenna Number One, size & problems noted may make it okay. Already have a manual tuner.

Thanks for the link. And would like to learn more about how it’s worked for you (no, rilly!). In all seriousness. And anyone else.

P.S. Hope you’ve had a screening of, “Hell & High Water” (2016). Was pretty sure I knew every film character three to six deep in real life. Many, many years since I’ve sat on the edge of seat while watching.

P.PS. As US-287 Is pretty well my favorite highway since boyhood (Port Arthur to past Denver & Yellowstone National and beyond; the road of dreams) now I know where (Little Wichita River) to crank up the portable base station on the Pete’s passenger air-ride seat and see who’s awake at dark o’clock as I make the climb out west from Fort Worth.

Breakfast at Jolly!

Fifty-one years & counting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riverman
Ah, ha, the chain-yanker (one Texan to another; got old hearing the same stories forty-years on the frontier; thus this shared proclivity. And it’s cessation. Too many mornings at Dairy Queen). Read your thread. And the comments. Since 11-meter is the only use of Antenna Number One, size & problems noted may make it okay. Already have a manual tuner.

Thanks for the link. And would like to learn more about how it’s worked for you (no, rilly!). In all seriousness. And anyone else.

I wish I'd given my Tak-tenna more of a chance.
An 11 meter version would have a whole lot less wire than the 40 and would be a snap to put together, although the 40 wasn't difficult. The thing is very light and doesen't catch much wind so wouldn't require much of a mast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
P.S. Hope you’ve had a screening of, “Hell & High Water” (2016). Was pretty sure I knew every film character three to six deep in real life.

LOVE that movie. Have seen it twice. Was set in (but not filmed in) my old stompin' grounds. Archer City, Olney, etc.
Love Jeff Bridges. He was in two movies that were filmed in my hometown (Archer City). The Last Picture Show and Texasville.
Based on books by Larry McMurtry, who also grew up in Archer City.

LOVE that movie. Have seen it twice. Was set in (but not filmed in) my old stompin' grounds. Archer City, Olney, etc.
Love Jeff Bridges. He was in two movies that were filmed in my hometown (Archer City). The Last Picture Show and Texasville.
Based on books by Larry McMurtry, who also grew up in Archer City.

Yessir, familiar with it all. One of a number of authors I’ve read in whole.

That post got me in lots of trouble. And now you've revived it. Yikes! :eek:

It’s a Texan thing. Should have been there how my father-in-law strung me along. Years. Not just two-three. And countless others. It’s what we do. Normal. You know this.

The willingness to help has the expectation to be let down once in a while. So? Hasnt stopped anyone from keeping this good aspect of their character.

And any reply not made in the same good grace as a confession has no seat in the pews. Shiny badges notwithstanding.

P.PS. As US-287 Is pretty well my favorite highway since boyhood (Port Arthur to past Denver & Yellowstone National and beyond; the road of dreams) now I know where (Little Wichita River) to crank up the portable base station on the Pete’s passenger air-ride seat and see who’s awake at dark o’clock as I make the climb out west from Fort Worth.

Breakfast at Jolly!

Fifty-one years & counting..

Cool beans. US 287. Road of Dreams is right!
Breakfast at the Jolly Truck Stop.
Yum! :p

Concerning the Little Wichita, have you ever read a book called River Season?

Sixty-six and still counting. (y)

Cool beans. US 287. Road of Dreams is right!
Breakfast at the Jolly Truck Stop.
Yum! :p

Concerning the Little Wichita, have you ever read a book called River Season?

Sixty-six and still counting. (y)

Jolly truckstop opened in 1967. We were on our way to western Canada that year. A stop in Boulder with relatives first. That’s the 51 (I’m 60)

No, haven’t read that. Read thousands of others, but as with the rest of American culture, publishing has been driven into the ground. Lost much of the appetite.

Author?

Jolly truckstop opened in 1967. We were on our way to western Canada that year. A stop in Boulder with relatives first. That’s the 51 (I’m 60)

No, haven’t read that. Read thousands of others, but as with the rest of American culture, publishing has been driven into the ground. Lost much of the appetite.

Author?

51/60. Ah! Got it!

R.S. author is J. Black.

'Bout time we put on our 'chutes and jump seein' as how we've totally hijacked this thread. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.