• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ford F150 aluminum...

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I rented one this week. Went to put my trusty Magnum 257HP in the truck...no problem. Went to stick my trusty Wilson 5000 mag mount on the roof... big problem. Then I thought I would put it on the hood. No bueno! Then I figured I could put it on the bed rail... no go there, either.

I had forgotten the body panels on these new trucks are aluminum. What are you guys doing to get around this?

Brett

I rented one this week. Went to put my trusty Magnum 257HP in the truck...no problem. Went to stick my trusty Wilson 5000 mag mount on the roof... big problem. Then I thought I would put it on the hood. No bueno! Then I figured I could put it on the bed rail... no go there, either.

I had forgotten the body panels on these new trucks are aluminum. What are you guys doing to get around this?

Brett
Buy a Chevy

Buy a Chevy

Exactly,the standard Alum 150 has terrible crash test results (read the Ford comments carefully and you will see that Ford mixes results from the standard alum 150 and the Super Duty 150 crash results ) ,.. the Super duty alum body has STEEL re-enforcement panels installed.

BTW, would you pay $17,000 to repair a truck? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjy2K2N58_MAhVm74MKHWCMBaAQFghXMAM&url=http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/how-a-2015-ford-f-150-aluminum-repair-cost-17-000-and-1719664610&usg=AFQjCNFpLREhXicQVaWPpyGuL1jPYxAy_Q

I've seen other posts on differnt forums about the aluminun body F-150 and the only options I've seen are probably not things you want to do to a rental. Breedlove stake bed mounts, hood or door lip mounts or drilling. When I bought my F-150 I went with a new 2014 rather that wait a few months for the 2015's with the aluminum body.

Reactions: 2RT307
I've seen other posts on differnt forums about the aluminun body F-150 and the only options I've seen are probably not things you want to do to a rental. Breedlove stake bed mounts, hood or door lip mounts or drilling. When I bought my F-150 I went with a new 2014 rather that wait a few months for the 2015's with the aluminum body.

Thanks RatsoW8. The one I have rented has a plastic trim piece that runs along the top of the bed, and only the rear area has pull outs for the stake holes. None by the cab. (Odd). There are tie downs galore in the bed. I could *maybe* see doing the stake bed mount, but sure wouldn't want to drill anything. I usually rent for a week at maximum. I know they use these trucks for law enforcement, so I have to wonder if Ford has a solution for them to be able to run their radio equipment. Maybe they sell them the Super Duty version with the steel reinforcement. I will try to avoid getting one of these in the future, but all they had available was this or a mini-van. :eek:

Brett

That is odd not having the front stake hole. I have the same setup on my bedrail but the front one's are there. I use the rear one for the breedlove mount. Although not antenna friendly I have to agree with your choice over the mini-van :) I'll be driving mine coming up on two years this month and I still get that "oh yea" felling every time I drive it. It's good to be the one of the biggest vehicles on the road ;)

Comfy too and I opted for the 5.0 Coyote V8. Back to antennas!

seen a magnet mount on a aluminum boat one time and it worked too because the guy trailored it around to show it off,,,,,what he had done was put a piece of metal under the aluminum cowling of the boat and put antenna on top it held it thru the metal,,,the metal under cowling wasnt glued or screwed in the only thing holding it was the magnet on the antenna,,,

seen a magnet mount on a aluminum boat one time and it worked too because the guy trailored it around to show it off,,,,,what he had done was put a piece of metal under the aluminum cowling of the boat and put antenna on top it held it thru the metal,,,the metal under cowling wasnt glued or screwed in the only thing holding it was the magnet on the antenna,,,

I wouldn't do that on anything that was going at any speed. :eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated