• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Forum Member with Questions

CM-4441

Dec 10, 2010
NE Florida
First off, a BIG hello to everyone! I live in Florida in a 55+ community where the houses are about 20' apart. That 20' distance is an important point later on.

I got into CB back in the 60's using a Browning R-27 S-23. I still have it and it works just fine! At tis time for a base radio I have a Galaxy DX-2547. I want to upgrade the base to something better. I use LSB about 90% of the time and do most of my talking above 40.

I would like some suggestions for a good base radio with a built in power supply. In other words a real base radio. It has to have AM and SSB. I don't need CW or FM. If it has it that is okay but I won't be using it. It MUST have a very clean signal because of that 20' problem. Besides I just don't want a dirty signal. A 10m radio converted would be great and it will never be used on 10m. I'm also not interested in all the junk extras such as echo and reverb etc. For those that like what I call junk please believe me when I say that I am NOT putting you down in any way. To each his own.

A good used radio is fine.

Terry

I think you've narrowed your self to a Galaxy or RCI. I have a Galaxy 2517 for a back up radio, or for rag chewing on a quiet night. It's a good radio, but over the 2547, you're just adding echo and a few more watts.

First off, a BIG hello to everyone! I live in Florida in a 55+ community where the houses are about 20' apart. That 20' distance is an important point later on.

I got into CB back in the 60's using a Browning R-27 S-23. I still have it and it works just fine! At tis time for a base radio I have a Galaxy DX-2547. I want to upgrade the base to something better. I use LSB about 90% of the time and do most of my talking above 40.

I would like some suggestions for a good base radio with a built in power supply. In other words a real base radio. It has to have AM and SSB. I don't need CW or FM. If it has it that is okay but I won't be using it. It MUST have a very clean signal because of that 20' problem. Besides I just don't want a dirty signal. A 10m radio converted would be great and it will never be used on 10m. I'm also not interested in all the junk extras such as echo and reverb etc. For those that like what I call junk please believe me when I say that I am NOT putting you down in any way. To each his own.

A good used radio is fine.

Terry
the only base radio without echeo is the RCI2995dx. very good ssb radio
now with neighbors 20feet apart you may make some people mad

welcome back to the radio hobby!

you are going to find that CB equipment is pretty much all about the mobiles these days, and there are very few base radios for sale new. the ones that are for sale are very similar on the inside, and all perform about the same.

i would agree with the advice that Robb gave you about using a ham radio.
they can pretty much all be converted to cover 1-30mhz on transmit with the clip of a wire, or diode.

heck, you'd be hard pressed to find one on the used market that hasnt already been converted.

for your situation, a ham radio would be perfect. they sound great on SSB, they have an extremely clean signal, and have the added benefit of being excellent shortwave receivers so you can listen anywhere you want when conditions arent favorable on 11 meters.

yes, they require an external power supply for the most part, but they are meant for desk operation so they are the size of a base station radio.

you could try to find a 142GTL/2000GTL/ Uniden Washington/ Madison base station radio, as they are good quality radios that work very well on SSB and can be converted to cover the freqs you use most.

however, most have been hacked up and modded, and they are also quite old for the most part and will require maintenance or refurbing.

if you choose one of these radios, look for one that was made in the phillipines as they are the most recent models.

the ham radio would still be the prime choice here though.

oh, and if you are worried about bleeding on the neighbors, remember that no matter how clean your signal is, if your antenna is too close to them, you can overload their cheap chinese electronics and cause problems.

electronics are built very cheaply these days and most have no filtering built in. as such they are very susceptible to interference from other devices.

your best bet here would be to run an antenna such as the maco V5/8 that has four ground radials to keep your signal from radiating in a downward direcetion.
get it up to 30-40 feet at the base of the antenna and you should be all set.

LC

the 2547 seems as good as any currently made cb radio . since you wont be using 10 meter channels and you mostly talk above 40 you seem to primarily talk free-band . are you wanting to improve your tx or rx or both ? as loosecannon said a good proper antenna is a must for not bother neighbors , as is a properly set up radio . what antenna are you currently running and how is it setup ? you already have a decent radio and if you have a good antenna system and your 2547 covers your frequency needs (modded of course) a amp is probally gonna give you the performance increase youre looking for .

what about the 2547 is not doing what you want ?

Good quality RG8, 9913, LMR400, RG213 etc, coax cable to help minimize RFI.

Good station and antenna grounding.

Clean-est possible transmitted signal quality; RCI does pretty darn good in this regard.

You could always add channels to the 2547 and wind up with 40 uppers and 40 lowers.

2547 does a pretty good job on SSB.

I'd say avoid the A99 antenna (some say it's RFI prone), and go with either an M-400 or Maco 5/8, or I-10K up as high as possible and in the clear to avoid coupling into neighbor's telephone drop lines and/or home entertainment systems.

Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio