• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW FTM-350 Owner

Are you sure it's not supposed to be 154.03125?

Checked it in 2 online databases 154.0325 is the freq, havent checked the FCC database yet.

The Radio is now installed Mobile, havent really gone anywhere yet. My Mobile Dual band antenna hasnt come in and I picked up a used Comet SSB25 so thats on there for now so at least I can use 2 meter. I am thinking about going smaller on the antenna, maybe 1/4 wave dual band. :whistle:

Ok here are my install Photo's. The suction cup is on a curved smooth surface and is holding solid as a rock.

The Display is awesome and since you can use a straight through RJ45 cable I set the system up for easy removal.

Anyway the Comet SSB25 antenna is a bit large for where its mounted so I might go with a 1/4 wave dual band and see how that does.

So Far LOVIN the Radio !!

DSCN0038_resize.JPG

DSCN0040_resize.JPG

DSCN0041_resize.JPG

Well Sunday came and went and I now have a newly installed FTM-350. I'm sooo happy! Here are some pictures of all the new goodies, the head unit with the Bluetooth attached, the head mounted on the dash (notice the tilt :laugh: have to come up with a better dash mount, I don't like it that way but it works for now), my antenna and the chassis mounted just behind the driver. Now that's a mouth full. I drive from my wheelchair so this works excillent. Enjoy.

73 Darryl VA7DTP

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3338.jpg
    IMG_3338.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 300
Power

This will be my first mobile insatllation. Do I need to power it directly from the battery like K0BG says on his web site?

I picked up a Power Werx 30 amp in-line fuse cable and the auto power off box thing, so I am equipped to do a battery hook up if required.

Thanks

Ray- N1LUL

Wow I love that open aprs site, just did a last 8 hr track on myself, W1MED-9, did a pretty good job tracking, only one pretty good dead spot.

I really like this radio, I was a bit unsure due to the couple of features that the kenwoods have but I dont even miss them...

Are you sure it's not supposed to be 154.03125?

FCC has them licensed for 154.03250 .. Rather Strange as this freq doesnt follow any of the normal spacing. I have found a few other departments have odd spacing as well. I'm sure I will be able to hear them on 154.03125 but it is strange ...

:confused:

This will be my first mobile insatllation. Do I need to power it directly from the battery like K0BG says on his web site?

I picked up a Power Werx 30 amp in-line fuse cable and the auto power off box thing, so I am equipped to do a battery hook up if required.

Thanks

Ray- N1LUL

You should power it directly from the battery if you can. The manual says that the radio draws 10 amps, so it's possible that you might have a fused accessory circuit in your vehicle that can handle 12-15 amps that you could use.

I actually put a lighter plug on my power wires and run it off a port in the back seat, works just fine with no issues noted so far.

Just added the voice synth to my radio, pretty cool little option. You can record up to 5 min of audio traffic on the radio and it also gives voice prompts in the nav mode, as well as a few other voice prompts.:pop:

Mic-e custom message

Hi,

Got the rig installed and having a good time.

Has anyone had a chance to figure out how to generate a custom "Mic-e" message. The standard ones seem aimed at emergency responders and do not apply to me. If you scroll through the options, it gives you the option to tranmit a "custom 0 through Custom 5" message, but I do not see any way to actually generate those messages either directly on the radio or from the RT software.

Another question, sometimes the radio will start transmitting a beacon every 5 seconds or so until I cycle it off and on. This usually happens after I update the files using the RT software, but it also goes nuts at random times. Not troublesome enough to send it in yet, but interesting.

Thanks

Ray- N1LUL

Hi,

Got the rig installed and having a good time.

Has anyone had a chance to figure out how to generate a custom "Mic-e" message. The standard ones seem aimed at emergency responders and do not apply to me. If you scroll through the options, it gives you the option to tranmit a "custom 0 through Custom 5" message, but I do not see any way to actually generate those messages either directly on the radio or from the RT software.

Good question. I've set custom beacon status text's but not the position comment. I'll have to try to figure out because the manual does not say

Another question, sometimes the radio will start transmitting a beacon every 5 seconds or so until I cycle it off and on. This usually happens after I update the files using the RT software, but it also goes nuts at random times. Not troublesome enough to send it in yet, but interesting.

That sounds to me like you have smart beaconing turned on and it started thinking you're going really fast. Try turning smart beaconing off and set a fixed interval and see if it still does it.

Ray- N1LUL[/QUOTE]

Yes that most likely is smart beaconing getting activated by bad speed data from the GPS, even the best GPS's get very bad speed readings like 380 mph or 579 mph.

After playing around with this for a while on both the FTM-350 and VX-8r, I've come to realize that there is no way to set the text of the custom position comment. The "Custom 0" appears to be intended to be used as a "code comment" for individuals to interpret on their own.

An interesting approach for sure...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.