• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Galaxy 2517 Purchase

movrider

Oct 12, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I am about to bite the bullet on a new Galaxy 2517, It seems most vendors offer tune/align/expand for an additional fee. Is this really needed or recommended, if so why. Does the manufacturer not do a good enough job? Will it make that big of a difference?

I am confident that I could tweak AM power and mod if needed but don't have the equipment to align one properly. I do not plan to expand any further than the jumper that opens 11M will that require the alignment?

It depends on who's doing the tuning. I would recommend some highly, others not so much.

The biggest advantage to having a competent tech with the right test equipment do it is that the receiver will perform MUCH better after a thorough tune/alignment.

Anybody can adjust the deadkey and modulation pots to make the radio transmit very well. It takes the right equipment and procedures to make the RX the best it can be.

My 2517 was tuned by Richard Byrd at 8541 Electronics, and it is an awesome 10/11 meter radio!

Richard Byrd at 8541 Electronics
I second the Motion or another Tech that has all his ducks in a row is DTB Radio. Both of these guys are top notch tech`s, have the stuff to do it right, and are not going to try to feed you any BS.
The deal with a factory radio is that it is a production line, things have to move at a fast pace, and whoever the guy/girl that is setting the radio up in that environment needs to move radios down the line.....they can not spend a lot of time working the TX/RX sections of the radio to take advantage of each individual radio`s characteristics and work to get the very best performance from the radio.
A good example of this is the RCI 2970N2 Models Coming from the Factory with the Bias set high and the radio running way to hot, both in terms of heat and power.

On a side bar, I wish John Mahoney was still doing radio stuff....He and Bill Good where some of the Best in the Business.

Jeff

>SNIP<
The deal with a factory radio is that it is a production line, things have to move at a fast pace, and whoever the guy/girl that is setting the radio up in that environment needs to move radios down the line.....they can not spend a lot of time working the TX/RX sections of the radio to take advantage of each individual radio`s characteristics and work to get the very best performance from the radio.
A good example of this is the RCI 2970N2 Models Coming from the Factory with the Bias set high and the radio running way to hot, both in terms of heat and power.
>SNIP<

Jeff

The radios are powered up at the factory to check them over for faults, then they go through alignment procedures. Not always in this order mind you. :mellow:
Not knowing the expertise of these people, and you can bet the parts are bought as cheap as possible, there is a very good chance that the radios are not stabilized (read as "no time") to let it even out. The rigs are boxed up and shipped, when the dealers get them, no two are alike! Peaking is a good idea as this is not done for the radios before they leave the nest. :whistle:

73 mechanic

I second the Motion or another Tech that has all his ducks in a row is DTB Radio. Both of these guys are top notch tech`s, have the stuff to do it right, and are not going to try to feed you any BS.

On a side bar, I wish John Mahoney was still doing radio stuff....He and Bill Good where some of the Best in the Business.

Jeff

I agree about John Mahoney and Panther and that whole forum crew. That was where I first got a clue about what's what in the 11 meter CB/Export/10 Meter world. Firebreather, SS8541, and John were SO helpful getting my EEI "Turbo-Tuned" Galaxy DX2517 straightened out and tuned up properly. John was very generous with his time on the phone with me.

I know Richard's business was more or less born as a spinoff from Panther and the Panther Forum and members. Well over 10 years has passed, and he is apparently still going very strong and has a lot of business from local agencies. He is much more on the Commerical/Public Service side of radio now, but still does CB stuff and does it as well as or better than any in the biz...

The 2517 is in my mind the grandaddy of the currently available 11 meter bootleg CB base stations. An improvement over the very popular Saturn, the EPT6900 based 2517 sounds great in all modes, and the RX isn't too bad. It definitely can benefit from the Shottky diode and 2SC2999 mod.

choose someone who will align it for how it will be used. the alignment spec's for exports are for proper tuning on the 10m range, this will be somewhat incorrect for 11m cb use. it will be close enough to not matter much, its about as close as they come from the factory however so your not gaining much.

generally just select frequency ranges you will be using. instead of setting receive for 28.500 i use 27. 2050, just an example.

As has already been said, the production line has a pretty wide tolerance for what is stamped with a seal of approval. Then you convert it from 10m to 11m, so yes, a full alignment would be beneficial beyond a good tune.

I bought one of the last 1969 models before they switched to mosfets, you don't say where you are but Mike at Mikes Electronics in Ohio does a great job at reasonable prices.

EDIT_______
Stay away from those 60w super wacky pack tunes =)

Last edited:
Since that radio is an Export it will not function on 11m (cb channels) right out of the box. Thats why a proper conversion and tune up is in order.

Trust me/us, buying a radio for cheap from some bargain basement place will not save you money in the end. Buy the radio from a place that does quality tech work and stands behind the radio and their work. Then you can buy it once, get it tuned and converted right the first time, and have it shipped once to you. BAM...your done.

Here are afew good places in no order.

1) DTB Radio
2) Sparkys cb
3) Custom cb Radio
4) 8541 Electronics "Sharpshooter"
5) Bobs cb in PA

You are pretty close to either Bobs or Custom cb in Indiana.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.