• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New guy needs help

frankd4

Sep 16, 2011
Hi guys, I am KK4CZT (Frank) I bought the Wouxun KG-UV2D got it about five weeks ago and have yet to make my first contact, I am using the KG-UV Commander for the config I have set the offsets and PL tones however I think that I have missed something in the config file, I was hoping that someone would be willing to look at my config file I need to E-mail it and have someone cheeck it out and tell me where I went wrong, thanks in advance for your help.
Frankd4
frankd4@att.net

Hi guys, I am KK4CZT (Frank) I bought the Wouxun KG-UV2D got it about five weeks ago and have yet to make my first contact, I am using the KG-UV Commander for the config I have set the offsets and PL tones however I think that I have missed something in the config file, I was hoping that someone would be willing to look at my config file I need to E-mail it and have someone cheeck it out and tell me where I went wrong, thanks in advance for your help.
Frankd4
frankd4@att.net

Are you able to bring up a local repeater? What specifically makes you think something isn't configured correctly?

Frankd4
frankd4@att.net

Pick a repeater

http://florida-repeaters.org/144listing.pdf

Bruce 146,520 simplex ( Tampabay )

I can not hit the repeter some times I can hear trafic on the repeter.

If you're on the fringe using a HT you may not be able to access the repeater. Try getting closer to that one or programmng in one a little closer.

You're not giving us much info to go on here. Like how far away from the repeater you are...etc.

HTs are a nice item to have but their range is very limited as far as getting into repeaters, and yes they do have their place in various situtations

Double check everything that you programmed into the HT ....offset and PL tone and give it another try....Sometimes just by moving a few feet from where you are sitting will make all the difference you need to get you into the machine

If you have one of those repeater books sometimes they do not have the correct information in them so you will need to double check the information through another source

Just keep trying and making sure that you have everything as it should be ...I know sometimes it can be a pain but hang in there!!

Pinellas area repeaters

Frank, I know from travel experience you are in one of THE deepest no-radio holes on Earth! With no elevation you are in some trouble with a handheld. I run a KG-UV1D and with the rubber ducky down there it gets mighty quiet! If you're going to try to hit Clearwater or St. Pete, even if you're five stories up, it ain't gonna happen. 2m and even 70cm are basically "line of sight". That sea level stuff is a bear to overcome without antenna elevation.

One repeater you may want to try is the Redington Shores system that has several towers and I've hit one easily from there. Their website is: WD4SCD Repeater Page

Try 147.030 in and 147.630 out with the NORTH tower PL of 103.5.
That should be about 4 or 5 miles for you and you should be able to hit it. The advantage here is that once you get in to any of the repeaters on that net it sends you out on all of them. Somehow they have an elevation of a couple hundred feet (must be a commercial tower they use?) and the system works.

Other PLs for those same frequencies - and try them all - are 82.5 and 192.8.

Also, I've found as have most users that the 70 cm band (440-450 mhz) gives good results over low terrain even with obstructions from buildings and low hills. I live in the hilly Ohio Valley and have a 70 cm repeater 28 miles away, as the electrons fly, that I can hit anytime with the rubber ducky antenna. I cannot touch their 2M repeater with the H/T even hooked up to a base antenna. These Wouxuns only give you 2 watts on 70 cm but they do seem to work under some conditions.

Try the Pinellas Park 70 cm repeater (maybe 5 miles?) at
442.625 in and 447.625 out. They do not use a PL tone. I've used that one when I was passing through and even hit it from the car without using the mobile antenna.

There is a repeater in Largo with a net meeting Wed. nights at 8pm and tuning in there may let you hear and see if you can get there. 146.970/146.370 with a PL tone of 146.2.

Go to the repeater database search I use and see what you can drag up, trying to use some of those 440 frequencies:

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

Good luck with it. There is a way and there will be a frequency or two.

Frank, I know from travel experience you are in one of THE deepest no-radio holes on Earth! With no elevation you are in some trouble with a handheld. I run a KG-UV1D and with the rubber ducky down there it gets mighty quiet! If you're going to try to hit Clearwater or St. Pete, even if you're five stories up, it ain't gonna happen. 2m and even 70cm are basically "line of sight". That sea level stuff is a bear to overcome without antenna elevation.

One repeater you may want to try is the Redington Shores system that has several towers and I've hit one easily from there. Their website is: WD4SCD Repeater Page

Try 147.030 in and 147.630 out with the NORTH tower PL of 103.5.
That should be about 4 or 5 miles for you and you should be able to hit it. The advantage here is that once you get in to any of the repeaters on that net it sends you out on all of them. Somehow they have an elevation of a couple hundred feet (must be a commercial tower they use?) and the system works.

Other PLs for those same frequencies - and try them all - are 82.5 and 192.8.

Also, I've found as have most users that the 70 cm band (440-450 mhz) gives good results over low terrain even with obstructions from buildings and low hills. I live in the hilly Ohio Valley and have a 70 cm repeater 28 miles away, as the electrons fly, that I can hit anytime with the rubber ducky antenna. I cannot touch their 2M repeater with the H/T even hooked up to a base antenna. These Wouxuns only give you 2 watts on 70 cm but they do seem to work under some conditions.

Try the Pinellas Park 70 cm repeater (maybe 5 miles?) at
442.625 in and 447.625 out. They do not use a PL tone. I've used that one when I was passing through and even hit it from the car without using the mobile antenna.

There is a repeater in Largo with a net meeting Wed. nights at 8pm and tuning in there may let you hear and see if you can get there. 146.970/146.370 with a PL tone of 146.2.

Go to the repeater database search I use and see what you can drag up, trying to use some of those 440 frequencies:

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

Good luck with it. There is a way and there will be a frequency or two.

I HAVE worked Miami from here but it is not easy ....

Local Tampabay SIMPLEX net is 8PM Sunday on 147.550 FM and the SSB net is 8:30PM Sunday on 144.210.

Thanks

Guys, Thanks for your replies I drove up to FT. Lauderdale and got to within one mile of the repeater before it opened I sent my config page to Ed at Wouxun US and everything was configured right he had me send him the radio for replacement my friend drove up with me with the same radio he can hit the repeater from about 14 miles out, ED at Wouxun is a great person fast service and helpful I try and do most of my biz with him most of the guys in the club buy from him because of the great service once again thank you all for your help I sincerely appreciate it

Pinellas repeaters

There are plenty of really good radio dealers around, but I, too, have nothing but praise for Ed and Wouxun US. In fact, I have a package from them due tomorrow. Great service, fast, and friendly. Knows his stuff around Wouxuns, too.

Well, let us know how the replacement works out. I reckon when a company builds a million of anything they're probably going to have a few with problems.

Diamond Antenna

A side note my friend got a Diamond Antenna model number (SRH77CA) for his Wouxun KG-UV2D same radio as mine and it made a huge improvement in RX and TX his Wouxun is good but the Diamond antenna made it even better you will need the adapter to make it work, I ordered one I hope to have it when I get my radio back.

Diamond antenna

Odd you should bring that up. I just ordered, Tuesday, that very same antenna for mine. I imagine the radio won't carry well on my belt with that but I'll try it when I get it. I still have the original and another with a length in between. It is available from some dealers with the "reverse SMA" female connector that fits the Wouxuns. That's the one I ordered.

Glad to hear at least one performs well on at least one Wouxun. I didn't know but I was willing to risk it for the price.

There are plenty of really good radio dealers around, but I, too, have nothing but praise for Ed and Wouxun US. In fact, I have a package from them due tomorrow. Great service, fast, and friendly. Knows his stuff around Wouxuns, too.

Well, let us know how the replacement works out. I reckon when a company builds a million of anything they're probably going to have a few with problems.

The problem is not the radio it is your asking for very extended range.

I hope the repair/replacement of your radio solves the problem but asking 15-25 miles on a HT is pushing it.

In 45+ years of being on 2 meters I still understand never say it CAN'T be done because I have seen someone do it ..... In the late 60''s we had a guy running .2 watts ( 200 MW ) in NYC who worked stations 1,000 miles away on
2 Meter AM

Here is my station it is a mid range setup there are many better around the state.

Attachments

• shack.jpg
    shack.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 235
  • antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 240

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.