• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Guy President hr2510 multimeter issues

Hello New Guy here . I have been into since the 1970's. My old call sign was KLW4293.

I picked up an HR2510 several years ago and haven't tried to use it. I was very happy with my Grant XL. It is very tired so I brought out the HR2510.

it has been in an environmental controlled room for 5 years.

I connected it straight to the car battery.
And a Tandy Roof top Magnet mount bottom loaded antenna. (not the cell phone looking thing)

I tried to adjust SWR. I see the cal triangle but the meter doesn't show at all.
I tried to measure pwr output it didn't show on the meter at all
I tried to measure Mod and again it doesn't show.

Rf does show on the meter.

Is this the meter issue you were speaking of?

Rf does show on the meter.

Is this the meter issue you were speaking of?

I tried to adjust SWR. I see the cal triangle but the meter doesn't show at all.
I tried to measure pwr output it didn't show on the meter at all
I tried to measure Mod and again it doesn't show.

Rf does show on the meter..

When you press the meter button does the display change?
Are you adjusting the SWR CAL knob?
A little confused about the power didn`t show on meter/RF does show on meter line.
Do you have an external power meter to check to see if you do have power output?

Usually they just stop reading all together.
If you use the search feature at the top of the forum and search for "hr 2510" you will find several threads about these radios and some faults that are starting to show up as they age.
If you read through them carefully and see the problems presented, it will give you some ideas to try.

Dry 10 volt caps, glue that dry`s out and becomes conductive, the infamous no insulator behind the final, the pull off caps on the final transistors.
If you go through the common known faults and do not find a cure, are not well versed at working inside your radio or even want to send it out to be fixed,
we have a member here, RogerBird, he is very good with these radios.
He is also great about helping.
Send him a Private Message, or you can e-mail him at Rogerbird1"at"netscape.net.

Jeff

Last edited:
When you press the meter button does the display change?
> SNIP <
Dry 10 volt caps, glue that dry`s out and becomes conductive, the infamous no insulator behind the final, the pull off caps on the final transistors.
If you go through the common known faults and do not find a cure, are not well versed at working inside your radio or even want to send it out to be fixed,
we have a member here, RogerBird, he is very good with these radios.
He is also great about helping.
Send him a Private Message, or you can e-mail him at Rogerbird1"at"netscape.net.

Jeff

I had a "dead: meter, changed out the meter board caps on mine..... did the trick!

mechanic

Send it to 'Doc in Buffalo he will get it working!!! Hes the ONLY one i trust working on ANY HR 2510!!!!!!!

I think it was Doc I sent my Uniden Grant XL about 5 years ago. He did a nice job too.

Re: the 1st responding poster...I did use the search button first and posted my questions in those threads and got no response or recognition for 2 days.

Thanks to all who have brought advice.

freezy 10-8

I did use the search button first and posted my questions in those threads and got no response or recognition for 2 days.

After reading the info in every thread here on the 2510, what have you tried to solve the problem?
Have you tried replacing the caps that are talked about?
Disconnected , cleaned and re-connected the cables on the CPU board?
Lifted the voltage regulators on the CPU board and cleaned the old glue off, looking for damaged traces?
Lol, please forgive the members here if we did not respond fast enough to solve your problem.

VA3ES:
DOC in NY also has a good reputation working on these radios, I think RogerBird has been at it longer and was involved with the gentleman that produced the ChipSwitch If i remember correctly.

Jeff

mine doesn't have a chipswitch but there has been some programming done to it before I got it.

to answer previous questions.

When I key up in swr calibrate mode (little triangle) and turn the adjustment knob, nothing shows up in the display.

when I key up in swr measuring mode, nothing shows up on the display

when I key up and talk in the modulation testing mode, nothing shows up in the display

when I am in rx mode the display shows the strength of incoming signals

what have I done so far...nothing besides research. I am only set up for mobile. I have yet to make a 50ohm dummy load and get a stronger 12v power supply, so I can work and test in the house. I did read those threads. I don't have a great solder station, just a selection of weller pencils.

I did send an email to Doc. Hasn't got back to me yet. Maybe he thought my Grant XL was too tacky with the Thunder Road custom faceplate on it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.