• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Guy

That is a real nice marine radio, but I dont see it being of much use for ham frequencies unless it is moddable, in which case I would have just bought a real ham rig with general coverage.

JMHO

PR

That is a real nice marine radio, but I dont see it being of much use for ham frequencies unless it is moddable, in which case I would have just bought a real ham rig with general coverage.

JMHO

PR

That's why I've been asking for advice on a rig to supplement the rig I have for the marine bands. I bought it specifically because I'll need marine bands. I was aware that I limited myself as far as ham bands, so I planned on buying an additional rig to expand my coverage to more of the ham bands.
P.S: I have my tests tonight at 1900EST I thought I had the technician and general in the bag, but going back and retaking the general practice exams, I am answering wrong questions I had previously gotten right, some kind of brain fart or somethin'. Technician I'm a shoe in, but general is gettin' shaky. I thought I would have a shot at extra, but at this point I just don't know.

Jethro

Last edited:
Well let us know how you do on the tests :). If you're just interested in sending/receiving basic text email and receiving the weather alerts, you don't need one of those expensive Pactor II/III modems. All you need is any old TNC that can do Pactor I. It's slower, but it works. Look for a used Kam XL or something like that will work on HF.

Well thar she blows!!!

003.jpg

I got the general but missed the extra, I'll try for the extra again next month. But for now I'm legal!!! Not that I would be able to operate once I was in the database anyway.

Jethro

KB1SYV for short...How is this callsign for CW? Will it be hard to understand?

-.-/-.../.----/.../-.--/...-

CW? Naw....but boy could that be a mouthful when said phonetically! :)

Congrats! Now it's time to get on the air!

My suggestion is to look for a $400.00 or less H.F. transceiver. Once you find out what's out there that rig can be resold at no loss...or not. I like my cheap radios.

Don't waste money on a wire antenna if you have any access to wire. Build one.

Marine and amateur radios should be totally seperate for several reasons. One is the radio cops will get upset.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.