• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New, Higher FCC Vanity Call Sign Fee.

gejothho

Aug 16, 2013
A new FCC regulatory fee of $16.10 to apply for an Amateur Radio vanity call sign will become effective sometime in mid-September, when the new fee schedule appears in the Federal Register. (ARRL will report the exact date as soon as it becomes available.) The FCC earlier this year had proposed upping the vanity call sign fee from its current $15 to $15.20. The vanity call sign fee has fluctuated over the 17 years of the current program — from high of $50 when the program debuted in 1996 to a low of $11.70 in 2007.

In a Report and Order in MD Docket 13-140, released August 12, the FCC ordered a broad schedule of new fees for all services and waived the usual 30-day waiting period following Federal Register publication, because there would not be time for new fees to become effective before the start of the new federal fiscal year on October 1, 2013. The FCC says it expects $230,230 in revenue to cover the costs of administering the vanity call sign program. It anticipates 14,300 vanity call sign applications.

Applicants must pay the regulatory fee not only when applying for a new vanity call sign, but also when renewing a vanity call sign (those holding “heritage” vanity call signs issued prior to 1993 are exempt).

From the ARRL website.

I don't much care for vanity calls. I don't mind being able to apply for a close relatives call that's SK. That's the only instance I support. I think the whole vanity thing is stupid.

We have had no-fee vanity calls for at least the last 24 years. Most people got their initials as their suffix. Not much of an imagination I guess. I chose IDX as my first choice and RFI as my second choice. I was kind of glad I got my first pick. :D Amazing how many fellow hams looked at me oddly and asked "IDX?? What does that stand for?" :headbang It took a minute or two to sink in.

I don't see the problem, people have vanity license plates. I have seen Wtf and lol ... It's a personal choice. When I get my license, I will apply for one. Probably with a KRS

I see a problem with this. I also see another indication of the stupidity of the current US government. Wow, a whole $250,000! Which will cover the cost? Really? I wonder what 'world' that might be true in, certainly not this one.
Am I worried about the future cost of my vanity call? No, mine is going to be 'grandfathered'. It's still stupid...
- 'Doc

one guy was giving his call sign and the other couldnt quite get the call
and he could get the first 3 of the call but the last 3 was QIR
and finally some stepped in a said its like Queer but with an i
the whole band thought that was funny
So now hes going to go get a Vanity call

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.