• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Icom IC-T70 2m/440 Preview

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Icom is set to release a new 2m/440 HT - The IC-T70. This looks like it will be a basic, one-band-at-a-time, radio targeted at competing with the Yaesu FT-60R. The radio was approved by the FCC on 1/14/10, so look for pricing and availability information shortly. Here is a pretty good sneak peak at this new radio, including the pre-release manual if you want to go over the specs in detail.

Basic Specs

U.S. Frequency range
Transmit: 144–148, 420–450
Receive: 136–174, 400–479
Includes WX channels

Output power: High 5.0 W, Mid. 2.5 W, Low 0.5 W
Memories: 302 (incl. 50 scan edges and 2 call channels)
Supplied Battery: 1400 mAh
External Power: 10.0–16.0 VDC
Dimensions: 2 9⁄32"(W)x4 3⁄8"(H)x1 3⁄16"(D)
Weight: 13.4 oz w/ battery and antenna

Here are a few pics of the radio:

Front:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1646-icom-ic-t70-front.jpg

Back with battery attached:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1650-back.jpg

Back without battery:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1647-back.jpg

Top:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1644-top.jpg

Left:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1648-left.jpg

Right:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1649-right.jpg

Bottom:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1645-bottom.jpg

Here are a few interesting photos from the FCC showing their test setup:

Power line conducted emissions tests:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1651-fcc-test-power-line-conducted-emissions-1.jpg

moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1652-fcc-test-power-line-conducted-emissions-2.jpg

Radiated emissions tests at 3 feet:
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1655-fcc-test-more-radiated-emissions-3m.jpg

moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1653-fcc-test-radiated-emissions-3m.jpg

moleculo-albums-icom-ic-t70-picture1654-fcc-test-radiated-emissions-3m-yagi.jpg

And lastly, the pre-release manual is attached for anyone that wants to see an in-depth look at the functionality of this new HT from Icom

Enjoy!

Attachments

• manual.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 379

This might interest a few of the tech-heads: The FCC also released their test document on this radio, which I've attached.

Attachments

• fcc test.pdf
    475.8 KB · Views: 475
Is that an anti-anechoic chamber?

No but it is an anechoic chamber. :whistle: Gotta watch those double negatives. :love:

On second thought the first two pictures look simply like a shielded room without anechoic properties. The last three may possibly be an anechoic chamber but it is hard to tell what is behind the white panels and the floor is not treated with baffles.

This is an RF anechoic chamber. Notice the RF baffles.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Radio-frequency-anechoic-chamber-HDR-0a.jpg

Anechoic generally have a suspended mesh/net floor, not hard concrete. Maybe some sort of RF absorption baffles?

I was in the anechoic chamber at ATT telegraph hill. It is really weird, when the door shuts you can feel the pressure from the seal in your ears and after a second or two, you can hear your own heart beating.

I very dump question - but is the IC-T70 a "Amateur Radio" or Land Mobile Radio?

That's not a dumb question, at all. This radio is a basic ham, 2m/440 rig. They do have a new LMR radio based on the same platform coming out too, though.

I like having an extra "basic" 2m/440 HT on hand in addition to the one with all the bells and whistles. Depending on the price, I might consider this.

Retail pricing has been released by several online retailers. It looks like the street price for this radio is $220, which is a little higher than the the closest competitor: the Yaesu FT-60r. Availability is expected by the middle of March.

Actually..

It is likely just an updated version of the older
IC-T90a HT ( which i already have..oh and still works Great )

T-90A

The IC-T90a has 6 meters. This new one does not. The IC-t70 is also a "one band at a time" radio.

The T90A is also a ONE BAND at a time HT.Along with the T8A & they are BOTH TRI-BANDERS(2 meters,6 meters & 440 mhz)& I have BOTH & have NO REASON to part with them.They are BOTH 5 watts output on ALL 3 bands as well.ICOM RULES! :drool:

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.