1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

New Icom ID-51A Plus 2 announced

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Moleculo, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 14, 2002
    Icom has released a few details on the new ID-51A Plus 2 D-Star HT. It has all of the same feature set of the very popular ID-51A Plus / Anniversary Edition, but now adds the capability to connect directly to the internet via USB cable. This new feature will allow you to connect directly to reflectors or internet-connected repeaters across the internet, even if you don't have a local D-Star repeater. In addition, the Plus 2 will also allow you to use it as a D-Star Hotspot so other D-Star enabled radios can use it as a gateway to the D-Star network.

I haven't yet found out if popular software such as DSTARRepeater or MMDVM will support the radio as the terminal device, but I imagine it won't take long to incorporate support. I don't have price information, but we've seen how competitive Icom has become with pricing lately, so it's a pretty safe bet that it will come in under the price of the Kenwood TH-D74. More info to come as it's released...

2. camaro1

camaro1 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Nice,, I really like my icom ID-51 Anniversary radio, might have to add this one to the collection if its priced reasonable
  3. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Hopefully it won't cost as much as the kenwood that is coming out. $650 for a handheld. Ouch! My wallet just feels thinner thinking about it LOL!! Icom has definitely stepped their game up as of late. Hopefully the others will follow.