• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New install...102 or Wilson roof-mount?

i'll take a look, that is interesting, i have not noticed it in 4 years and i have not had any problems, so if there, it must be working! thanks.

Well, I had decided on a 102", even built a new mount for it; but I pulled the trigger on a new Wilson 5000 roof-mount on Friday.

In this truck, it will be really easy to install...pop out a interior reading light, drill a hole, fish the coax, reinstall the light...probably have the hole drilled and based mounted in less than five minutes.

I have owned a lot of Wilson 1000s and 5000s, and never had an issue. I often wonder if the drain hole gets plugged and doesn't allow the water to drain?

none of the new wilson 5000's have drain holes in them. first rain i had after installing it the water drained right down through the coil like niagra falls, went in the junk pile after that...

Bonding straps attached from the framework to the doors, firewall, body panels, hood both sides to firewall, trunk lid both sides, exhaust to body and engine is a way to make the reciever quite. I dropped the S meter reading from an 6-8 down to a 2 or lower by runnning 10-12 straps. If the noise floor is low the meter does not moveat all! Some contacts Ive made are heard but cannot be seen on the meter at all....I just hear the audio. I fully believe these bonding straps can make a good matched antenna into a great performer. A great site to check out is K0BG.com he covers in great detail mobile radio installations from wiring sizes, coax losses to reducing injection noise. GREAT SITE!! The site covers it all and debunks some of the myths about installs. A 102 whip matched to a bonded chassis would be hard to beat. you might mag mount a 102 with one of the 3magnet setups? I do not have first hand comparisons about noise and performance mag mount VS drilled mounted antenna....I just know the mag mount has worked well for me.....But I do think the best part of my install was the bonding straps....made a HUGE change in the noise thus my ability to hear stations.

bonding is a good idea to help reduce noise. i completely bonded my full sized truck with almost 50' of that 5/8" tinned ground braid, and what a difference.

At the bottom of the base, on the outside of the ring that contacts the mount, there should be at least one hole about an 1/8" in diameter. All my Wilsons have one...I think I may have even drilled the one on my current 5000 out bigger.

Well mine does not have such a drain hole. The Coil is completely sealed. I shook the base around and there is no sound of water in there at all!!!

none of the new wilson 5000's have drain holes in them. first rain i had after installing it the water drained right down through the coil like niagra falls, went in the junk pile after that...

I have not had that problem with my wilson 5k at all.
Mine has no drain hole, but it also has no water intrusion into the coil at all.

Perhaps you had a crack on the cover around the coil or the mast it self. Other wise I see absolutely no way that water can get into the coil.

Can you post some detailed pics of your antenna mast and coil base? Perhaps with closer inspection some cracks may be detected. Although I suppose some undetectable hair line cracks may also allow water in.

it is, bad Q.C., the new owners are aware of the problem and said it would take time to address.....only time will tell.

do you have a press release or a link to that correspondence, i am not finding anything on a google search.

did you speak to them?

On edit:
P.S. If you have some pics of your antenna problem can you post.

you won't find that info on a google search, this was an interaction between me and them. they ended up trying to make good on it by sending me a completely different antenna that i wasen't setup to use....but at least they tried....i guess. i posted the pics in the " inside a wilson 5000 coil part 2" thread. you didn't see them? you posted in the same thread.

the water intrusion is where the brass stud protrudes from the top of the coil where the mast screws on. from what i could tell the water sits in that mast and eventually seeps down into the coil, and without any drain holes in the bottom of the coil ( like that really matters) the water seeped through around the center pin right down through the PL connector.

not to mention that was the second coil i tried on it. the one that came with it was a failure right out of the box. called them and they send me a second coil.

not trying to bad mouth them, as i said i was a long time wilson user myself of almost ten years. however putting out good money for an antenna that has a better than margional chance of being a crap out right out of the box is simply not worth the risk untill they address these issues.

now having used the sirio turbo 5000 antenna for almost a month, and comparing it to the wilsons performance that i have seen, i find that it performs much better. i still like the wilsons, but would only use one as a backup.

and as of lately with various posts of damage to the sirio antennas from hitting overhead objects i find keeping in mind while i am driving that i have an almost 80" antenna up on the roof.... i "SLOW DOWN" whenever nessassary to "PREVENT" any damage, which has worked out great. i have seen people take out 102" whips becuase of not being mindfull of what they have attached to their vehicle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.