• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New install...102 or Wilson roof-mount?

you won't find that info on a google search, this was an interaction between me and them. they ended up trying to make good on it by sending me a completely different antenna that i wasen't setup to use....but at least they tried....i guess. i posted the pics in the " inside a wilson 5000 coil part 2" thread. you didn't see them? you posted in the same thread.

the water intrusion is where the brass stud protrudes from the top of the coil where the mast screws on. from what i could tell the water sits in that mast and eventually seeps down into the coil, and without any drain holes in the bottom of the coil ( like that really matters) the water seeped through around the center pin right down through the PL connector.

not to mention that was the second coil i tried on it. the one that came with it was a failure right out of the box. called them and they send me a second coil.

not trying to bad mouth them, as i said i was a long time wilson user myself of almost ten years. however putting out good money for an antenna that has a better than margional chance of being a crap out right out of the box is simply not worth the risk untill they address these issues.

now having used the sirio turbo 5000 antenna for almost a month, and comparing it to the wilsons performance that i have seen, i find that it performs much better. i still like the wilsons, but would only use one as a backup.

and as of lately with various posts of damage to the sirio antennas from hitting overhead objects i find keeping in mind while i am driving that i have an almost 80" antenna up on the roof.... i "SLOW DOWN" whenever nessassary to "PREVENT" any damage, which has worked out great. i have seen people take out 102" whips becuase of not being mindfull of what they have attached to their vehicle.

Here is a link to that thread...so everyone can follow:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/136545-inside-wilson-5000-coil-part-2-a-4.html

What i am seeing in the pics you posted, could have very well been caused by simple condensation. As I have not experienced that and your's is the only one that I can remember with this issue(other's will post up if other wise), I really have to question your bashing of this manufacturer. It seems that almost every opportunity that arises you hammer this antenna and or Wilson.

I think that it is unfounded.

Now that having been said, did you examine the mast it self for any damage inside?

Here is my idea for what might happen due to rain when using this antenna.

Marconi's ideas on the Wilson 1000 and water problems. - YouTube

I Watched your video. Regarding the stinger mount with the 2 set scews that unscrews from the coil base. I don't believe that it is hollow all the way thru. The weep hole is for condensation only. Also, your coil needs a nice dollop of dielectric grease replaced. The rubber seals on on coil bottom could use some silicone grease to limber the rubber up and to provide a better seal to the base.

I have the new Sirio 5000 PL Performer antenna. People say it's a direct fit to the Wilson roof mount base. Well, it does screw down onto it and provides an connection. However, I can tell that it has a crappy seal and would certainly let water intrude. I posted pictures of the weak rubber seal they provide. If you want to run s Sirio mobile antenna, you must use their mounts, either roof of msgnet in order to get an acceptable seal.

Here is a link to that thread...so everyone can follow:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/136545-inside-wilson-5000-coil-part-2-a-4.html

What i am seeing in the pics you posted, could have very well been caused by simple condensation. As I have not experienced that and your's is the only one that I can remember with this issue(other's will post up if other wise), I really have to question your bashing of this manufacturer. It seems that almost every opportunity that arises you hammer this antenna and or Wilson.

I think that it is unfounded.

Now that having been said, did you examine the mast it self for any damage inside?

unfounded...i think not, please do your reserch before commenting. it helps when you are trying to get to the heart of issues without trying to derail them with your "best guess" opinions!!

well let's see here, one accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions. facts will trump opinions every time fellas.

i like your description of my posts as " bashing" which is far from the truth. i am simply stating the facts. reread my posts and you will see that. i like the wilson antennas, but not enough to blow that kind of money on a 50/50 crap shoot!

simple condinsation...not quite. what i didn't post a pic of was the almost 5" inch green stain that was sorrounding the "c" bracket that holds the PL connector where the water drained down from that center pin right through the PL connector an onto the top of the mag. and given the fact the the antenna was on the vehicle for ONLY THREE DAYS one of wich was a constant rain with a temp of 50 degrees. wich is kind of hard to lend credance to what you are implying. you couldn't get that kind of condensation buildup in that thing if you brought it in from the freezing cold in the dead of winter into a stream filled bathroom!

and i am the only one you seen this happen to? huh? did you not read the origional post where i posted those pics? it didn't happen once...but twice and then some...reread it!

and it is also a fact with my dialogue with the current owners of the company that they are aware of these problems with water intrusion into the coil, where it was suggested to me.... by them, to try silicone around the entrance of the mast to seal out water as this was what was recommended by hundreds...yes thats right hundreds of people calling them complaining about the same issue...

as far as the manufacturer goes, these issues are the result of the "PRIOR "owners and NOT the current owners!!! as this new owner hasen't even resumed production as of yet since they aquired the wilson name....and we all know what happened to the quality of the products that the before mentioned owner of the wilson name got ahold of, astatic being one of them...if you don't know i suggest you do some reserch on it....it is out there as plain as day! the new owners don't have any replacement parts as of yet to send out which is why you see on most sites that they are OUT OF STOCK of most replacement parts. don't beleive me? look for yourself.

and of course i inspected the brass stud and sorrounding plastic for damage wich there was none. and if you look at the pic's closely in the before mentioned thread you can clearly see that the underside of that brass stud is only sealed with a silicone compound of some type, and if you have any experence at all with silicone you would know that it DOES NOT seal very well to smooth plastic surfaces....period! all it would take is a good bump from shipping to cause the silicone to come loose from the plastic housing,and that coupled with the FACT that when the mast is screwed down tight it forms a tight seal to the very top of that plastic housing allowing the water to "sit" in the mast for extended periods of time.

and i am sorry that you are perceiving my posts as "bashing" or just a negative opinion wich it is not. it really frosts my a$$ just because someone hasen't had any problems which makes them think they are experts on a product line!! i have done more than a month's worth of reserch on this issue BEFORE i ever posted word one!!!!!!!! i would suggest that you do the same before you add your "off the cuff" opinions.

especially when the current owners concur with you that there IS an issue reguarding water intrusion into the coil and others issues with it....and to all those that might be on the fence about what i am saying....can all be proven with a simple phone call! did you think i was going to post the facts without being able to back it up??

"the end justifies the means gentelman" which is what? bringing to light the possibilities of what can happen when you purchase one of these antennas that was manufactured under the prior owners, trying to prevent someone else going through what i did, wasting their money, and their time, and having a migraine headache over it. does this mean i can say it will happen everytime someone buys one? no, of course not....im not a gambling man, but im inclinded to spend that kind of money eslewhere when the odds are 50/50 or worse weather i will have a problem or not.

so in anycase,i am going to let this be the last post on this as it is being perceived as a bashing issue, and subject to unnessassary and uneducated commentary.

my best advise to those who are contemplating purchasing one of these antennas....i would wait for awhile to allow the CURRENT OWNERS to make good on rectifing the issues with the wilson 1000 and 5000 series antennas as they seem legitimate, at least to me that they will make good on it.

and to the posts that will undoughtibly follow trying to pick apart my findings, have at it, at least i feel comfortable in knowing that I did the right thing, and if this post helps just one person then it was worth it.

best wishes to all, and good luck...

Last edited:
Here is my idea for what might happen due to rain when using this antenna.

Marconi's ideas on the Wilson 1000 and water problems. - YouTube

Greetings Marconi,

My wilson 5k does not have a weep hole, nor does it have all that glue looking stuff, like the one in your video. I went out in the drizzle here and took a pic.

Was the antenna in your video bought by you brand new?
If not and it was used, then maybe someone added all that stuff. Else why would the weep hole be covered up???Surely wilson would not do that!

You said it yourself in the video. You can not say for sure whether water would get in.

Well my experience shows no such water intrusion, not even any evidence of condensation on the inside!

Attachments

• IMAG0018b.jpg
    IMAG0018b.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 17
I Watched your video. Regarding the stinger mount with the 2 set scews that unscrews from the coil base. I don't believe that it is hollow all the way thru. The weep hole is for condensation only. Also, your coil needs a nice dollop of dielectric grease replaced. The rubber seals on on coil bottom could use some silicone grease to limber the rubber up and to provide a better seal to the base.

I have the new Sirio 5000 PL Performer antenna. People say it's a direct fit to the Wilson roof mount base. Well, it does screw down onto it and provides an connection. However, I can tell that it has a crappy seal and would certainly let water intrude. I posted pictures of the weak rubber seal they provide. If you want to run s Sirio mobile antenna, you must use their mounts, either roof of msgnet in order to get an acceptable seal.

just to address the video...that "glue" isn't glue to hold the coil together but rather a double sided adhesive strip to hold the rubber gasket in place, yes it was put there by wilson. something that is also missing on the newer versions.

the mast is hollow all the way through.

and you are correct, you get a lousy seal when you use the sirio with a wilson magnet. from what i can see with mine you would need the sirio magnet along with a good quality silicone grease for good measure.....

Greetings Marconi,

My wilson 5k does not have a weep hole, nor does it have all that glue looking stuff, like the one in your video. I went out in the drizzle here and took a pic.

Was the antenna in your video bought by you brand new?
If not and it was used, then maybe someone added all that stuff. Else why would the weep hole be covered up???Surely wilson would not do that!

You said it yourself in the video. You can not say for sure whether water would get in.

Well my experience shows no such water intrusion, not even any evidence of condensation on the inside!

Gamegetter, I see close to the same construction, but the inside threaded brass fitting for the mag mount has machined edges and my is circular. The part on mine that is pealed back is probably a seal of some sort. If it were glue like I suggested in the video, it likely would not be so well spread out.

How do you know if that material on yours isn't just covering up a hole? I'm not saying it is, but what if it was.

Your center pin is also bright and shiny, and mine looks like an exposed copper pin. I filed the tip a bit and it looks silver under the tarnish. So, IMO it looks like it had water on it, and I'm sure it leaked down into the magnet area and over time killed my paint underneath. My brother drives the truck today, and all of the paint on the roof is gone right down to the primer and it started where the antenna was mounted.

I know only what I hear about the Wilson today, under supposed new ownership, and it seems like a lot of complaints from not working right to no parts or product.

As best I can recall in the past...I don't remember much customer complaining about Wilson at all.

How do you know if that material on yours isn't just covering up a hole? I'm not saying it is, but what if it was.
QUOTE]

there is nothing there except for the outer seal...
mine is all hdpe plastic, unless if the weep hole is under the outer seal-which i do not plan to remove to look, but that would defeat the purpose of having a weep hole, under the outer seal-does not seem that the water would drain all that well.

the weep hole on your's in the video is on the inside and on my photo there is nothing there just hard hdpe plastic all the way around.

seems like there might be 2 different types.

you are the original owner of yours? correct?

there is nothing there except for the outer seal...
mine is all hdpe plastic, unless if the weep hole is under the outer seal-which i do not plan to remove to look, but that would defeat the purpose of having a weep hole, under the outer seal-does not seem that the water would drain all that well.

the weep hole on your's in the video is on the inside and on my photo there is nothing there just hard hdpe plastic all the way around.

seems like there might be 2 different types.

you are the original owner of yours? correct?

Yes I bought it new. You see how that clear looking seal on my video is sticking out and covers the hole. Somebody pealed that back from covering the hole.

Your's is different in that it is black and looks to be a bit thicker. I suggest maybe that the hole in yours could be under that part somewhere.

Is it pliable like mine is?

Last edited:
i have a friends wilson 5000 here with the cover off, i don't know how old it is but on this one there is definitely an issue with water ingress, it gets in just as eddie said,
under the whip holder is a rubber o-ring which does a pretty good job of stopping water getting under the holder but does zilch to stop water trickling down the inside of the holder around the thread and inside the cover, there is sealant on the inside but not applied correctly,
that holder should not be drilled all the way through its stupid and needs sealing,

where they really messed up is using a steel nut on the brass bolt, it rusts like a 70's datsun, it should be brass,
when the cover was removed the inside was all red with rust from the nut,

they also made a ballsup of attaching the upper end of the coil, its cut too short so only one side of the brass clamp grips the coil, after time the brass makes a dent in the coil wire and the coil comes loose,
on this one i had to bend the coil so that it goes all the way through the brass bolt and is gripped on both sides as it should be,

imho they don't make em like they used to, this one is piss poor quality in assembly, the drilled through holder and steel nut are plain stupid, save a few cents and ruin an antennas life expectancy.

the sirio's and wilsons work better on the larger sirio magmount, i put it down to better capacitive coupling, the sirio mag has more surface area and a big steel slug in the center of the magnet.

Here is another video showing a Wilson coil from a different kind of antenna, possibly the trucker antenna.

This looks to support the idea of water intrusion as I try to describe in the video, but on looking at the video I notice that the white residue I pointed to could have come from the nut securing the wires. If the nut is one of those type of securing nuts with plastic inside the threads, then that white stuff may be from the stay tight lining.

Old Grampa talking about a Wilson coil - YouTube

Reactions: 1 person

Here you go duster. There is a straightened-out Jimclip stuck through the coil base, as you call it, I think. The base is wide open down to the stud in the coil housing and water can surely get through there unless sealed well.

Wilson 1000 antenna coil (640x480).jpg

Easy fix. Seal that shiny tube before installing a new one. How? I can think of two or three simple ways, I bet you can too. Or, how about notifying the manufacturer, they might do it.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.