• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Kenwood HF Transceiver & HT for 2010

Kinda funny how Kenwood jumped on and is expanding it's offerings based on APRS, while Yeasu is running with their "WIRES II" system, and Icom with D-Star.
Out of the three I believe D-Star is the better package, you get digital voice, messaging, it's backed up with several repeaters, gateways, reflectors, and hot spots with more going up everyday, plus with a GPS interfaced with it, you can do the APRS thing as well....
If you get the 92AD or 880AD with the GPS speaker mic, no interface is needed, you can access APRS right from those HT's....

I'm glad to see Kenwood is staying in the HF field, there were rumors they were backing out of amateur radio all together, I just wish they would build and market a budget priced unit like the Yeasu FT-450, or Icom's IC-718 for those of us that don't want all the fancy bells and whistles....(or can't afford them)

D-Star is technically very impressive. The fatal flaw in it is the voice CODEC, which is proprietary, which in my opinion is completely inappropriate for an amateur radio standard.

Also, a D-Star repeater will gate your (D-STAR only) position reports onto the APRS internet backbone, but does not interoperate with the normal VHF APRS standard. It sees and talks to ICOM radios only. You need a separate radio at the repeater to do standard APRS.

I'm glad to see Kenwood is staying in the HF field, there were rumors they were backing out of amateur radio all together, I just wish they would build and market a budget priced unit like the Yeasu FT-450, or Icom's IC-718 for those of us that don't want all the fancy bells and whistles....(or can't afford them)

The Kenwood TS-480hx can be had brand new for $999 on sale. That's a 200 watt radio with a great receiver.

SSSHHHHHHHH!!!!! Not so Loud!!!!

The Kenwood TS-480hx can be had brand new for $999 on sale. That's a 200 watt radio with a great receiver.

Don't tell everyone the best kept secret in Amateur radio!!!! Don't tell them that $ for $, it is the best radio on the market, bar none, for features/performance to cost ratio.

SSSHHHHH!!!

and I am back quiet...

Don't tell everyone the best kept secret in Amateur radio!!!! Don't tell them that $ for $, it is the best radio on the market, bar none, for features/performance to cost ratio.

SSSHHHHH!!!

and I am back quiet...

I agree, wish I could understand what that bloke was saying in that video. The new Kenwood looks like a "hamsexy" radio award contestant to me. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.