• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New McKinley EU

Receive sensitivity hasn't been an issue on CBs for at least three if not four or more decades. All CBs can hear a signal to 12dB SINAD below the galactic noise floor on the 11m band meaning they can hear well below the noise floor of the quietest place on planet earth RF wise.

Unless you can tune them from a decrepit old leaking-roof motorhome out in the New Mexico desert. Got some o’ dat aliens tech.

Reactions: undertaker
They do, the President Grant II

l_grant1.jpg

Would you say the Grant 2 is on par with the new McKinley ?

They do, the President Grant II

l_grant1.jpg

The grant II was an export though with a different board than the Uniden 980 which I wish would have had export functions built in. The Grant II was disappointing to me as I preferred my 980. The new McKinley EU is also different than the USA McKinley so that again is where I'm cautious about buying one until I hear more about it. The USA version has been fantastic so I would love a USA version with just the extra range. If the EU version can replicate the performance I would definitely consider one.

The grant II was an export though with a different board than the Uniden 980 which I wish would have had export functions built in. The Grant II was disappointing to me as I preferred my 980. The new McKinley EU is also different than the USA McKinley so that again is where I'm cautious about buying one until I hear more about it. The USA version has been fantastic so I would love a USA version with just the extra range. If the EU version can replicate the performance I would definitely consider one.

I'm in agreement

Would you say the Grant 2 is on par with the new McKinley ?

From a performance point of view there's not really anything between different CBs sufficient enough to make buying one give you a magically different experience than the others from a receiving signals point of view. Some have slightly better selectivity but on SSB and AM it doesn't really matter as even the worst is more than sufficient for 10kHz channel spacing and if you've a bleedover box it is because someone has been in there with a screwdriver or its down to the splattering signal of a nearby transceiver and if their signal from a couple of channels away is. Splatter -100dB or higher on the channel you're on from a station on a channel nearby then no amount of selectivity is going to remove that splattering signal unless you reduce sensitivity. There's not one radio that can magically dig signals out of the noise others can't hear.

Ultimately it comes down to what they look like and their ergonomics, how you operate them.

Reactions: Slowmover
From a performance point of view there's not really anything between different CBs sufficient enough to make buying one give you a magically different experience than the others from a receiving signals point of view. Some have slightly better selectivity but on SSB and AM it doesn't really matter as even the worst is more than sufficient for 10kHz channel spacing and if you've a bleedover box it is because someone has been in there with a screwdriver or its down to the splattering signal of a nearby transceiver and if their signal from a couple of channels away is. Splatter -100dB or higher on the channel you're on from a station on a channel nearby then no amount of selectivity is going to remove that splattering signal unless you reduce sensitivity. There's not one radio that can magically dig signals out of the noise others can't hear.

Ultimately it comes down to what they look like and their ergonomics, how you operate them.

I was just wondering if the new Mckinley had better 'sounding' RX then the Lincoln 2+ model.

Over here the Lincoln 2+ is $239 USD, where as the EU McKinley is $318 USD (249 pounds)..

What's the verdict? Is it worth ordering? I like my US McKinley. I sorta like my At-6666 better in the mobile. The thing is so quiet in my Cherokee, that sometimes I have to turn volume up or check RF gain. Everything else I'd full of white noise.

I've bought 4 new HF rigs in last 7 months. I'm a broke ass clown.

My McKinley USA picks up quite a bit of noise in the vehicle however the receive sensitivity is good enough I can turn the RF gain down 2 notches and it quiets the radio down without really affecting my ability to hear stations too much. The ANL does a pretty good job as well.

Still waiting to hear more reports or see some comparisons of the McKinley EU before I pull the trigger on one for a review. Just a lot of $$$.

I'll probably pass and pick one up after it's been out for awhile. My At-6666 is far quieter and better mobile performer than my McKinley. I have the Mckinley for my base with a DX-350 and Gainmaster. Works great with good reports. My At-6666 reminds me of my old Grant XL and 148 in the car. Very pleased with the Anytone in the mobile.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.