1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

New Mckinley Install

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by undertaker, Jun 20, 2019.

1. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Going with 10 gauge wire hot to battery and ground to chassis...

357magnum and Slowmover like this.

2. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Bobby , IMO 10 ga is fine . But Wait ! What ? Is this another New Truck ? Didn't you just do this Aluminum install on one recently ? You buy a New Truck every year ? I'm So Jealous ! Dead people sure pay the bill$ !:whistle:;):LOL: 73 & God Bless , Leo

undertaker likes this.
  3. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Leo same truck just need to run wires to battery....

357magnum likes this.
  4. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

:LOL: You had me thinking Bobby , my wife has a new Lariat $$ . I was thinking another new one .... WOW !:D

undertaker likes this.
  5. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

I use 10awg for my mobile installs and here at the house as well. Figure 30 amps will go thru 10 at your house just fine.. 12awg is rated for like 20amps.. 8awg is 50 amps..

Hope that helps..

10 is still flexible enough in even cheap THHN. Just be sure to grommet the pass thru holes.. marine grade is nice as it's flexible but costs a tiny bit more.. again grommet the holes..

357magnum and undertaker like this.
  6. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Just did the sons SUV with a 10-AWG single-wire from BATT (BUSSMANN termination fuse) back to firewall and across to passenger side to an existing hole.

Into interior and he ran it under center console to rear. NEG at seatbolt. Maybe 15’ or so TTL circuit length from SOTABEAM APP-equipped 12V distribution box.

Using the MARINCO 3% Voltage Drop Calculator showed that was at the edge for a 20A draw so the (McK + KL-203) squeaked in under the bar.

Test showed 14.1V (on; no PTT) at engine resting idle. We did install fast as possible as no time to lose thus minimal testing.

10-AWG
    is hard to argue with.