• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New mic ideas?

Got any pics of this mic ?

Here are the internal pictures but they're not too good.

antennapics023.jpg

antennapics021.jpg

Just talked to one of the locals and he agreed to give me a turner +3. He hasn't used it in a while so he is unsure if its in working order or not. I will pick it up today or tommorow and try it out. I'll let you guys know when I get it.

I went and got the turner +3 this evening and wired it to my radio. So far talked to three locals and they said I sounded really good. I have the mic gain on my radio at about 2 o'clock and the mic gain on the turner at about 9 o'clock. Still playing with were I want it though. Right know I am puting a new mic plug on it. The one that was on it worked but is in rough shape. I will keep you guys updated on how every thing goes.

Some people say the d-104 just doesn't sound right on the newer radios I don't now if there is any truth to it or not. I may see if I can pick up a d-104 locally if not I am thinking about the astatic 878 desk mike. I personally like the looks better than the galaxy desk mic. I am going to do some research on it first though, as to how it sounds on both am and ssb. I can't afford much at the moment but I would like to get some higher end eqipment later down the road. Has anyone used the astatic 878 with good/bad results? Also what about a d-104 how would it sound on this radio?

The 878 is a great sounding mic on AM or SSB. Loud and clear on AM. Clear on SSB with the gain turned down some. Just be aware that the control on the bottom of the mic is backwards compaired to other mics. Only complaint is they are alittle short but I can live with that. Like your seeing with the gain at only 9:00 the turners are hot mics. They dont have to be turned up much at all. Turners are great mics also. Alittle more bassy than the astatics. Hope it works well for ya and the price was right for sure. Sounds like a good guy for giving it to ya. Peace!

we have a local here thats runs a big radio base station and he ran a d104 for a lotta years . anyhow he got a 878 a while back and i was surprised at the difference . he wasn't as over modulated as normal (big radio) and actually sounded a bit louder and had a fuller cleaner tone to his tx .

that turner +3 you got is one of the best CB base mics made , it should do a very very good job for you :)

I have a D-104 that I have been running since about 1981 and I always receive complements on how good my radio sounds. The instructions that came with the mic had directions for adding parts to adjust its output for the best sound quality for your particular radio and I made them when I was getting it set up for mine. By the way the radio is an old 148 GTL and I am still using both of them and making good contacts with the same compliments to this day. Made four quick contacts on 39lsb yesterday into the northeast and they all made me feel real good about my setup with what they said about it. Had the radio and mic in storage until about 3 or 4 weeks ago for over 20 years. Did have the mic inside airtight ammo box all that time. I like.........it!

D-104s are one of the best mics available if they are used without the crappy preamp. Junk the preamp and build an MPF-102 impedance converter for newer rigs.

It would be especially sweet if you find a D-104 that has had a crummy Kobitone or Heil element hacked into it in the name of "restoration." Put the mic back the was ass static originally designed it. Crystal cartridge into a high impedance preamp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.