• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New mic ideas?

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
For now I seemed to have traced the problem in my radio to the mic. I am still using the hand mic and waiting to see if the modulation drops again. In the mean time I am looking at ideas for a new mic. I have a galaxy 2547 base that I would be using the mic with. I am mostly interested in desk mikes but a good hand mic would get the job done. If I understand corectly a d-104 or similar mike won't sound right on my radio correct? I was looking at the galaxy desk mic or the astatic 878. For hand mics maybe the Astatic d-104mb6 or something similar. By the way I mostly use Am locally but I do shoot skip on ssb. I am wanting something that will sound go on both. Anyone have ideas?

You said that you've read my article on great sounding mics. So, it is a question as to how much you can afford. I don't know why a D-104 wouldn't work on that Galaxy; I've used a D-104/TUPS-9 on my DX99V with fine results. They are nice!

However, if you want to make a quantum leap, then going the 'pro' route is highly advisable if you have the patience and the funds. Either arrangement will cost you something. It is a question of what one expects from their system. I have a background in high quality audio/sound engineering. So for me and others that have a more refined taste in sound, going hifi is the best method - IMO . . .

Some people say the d-104 just doesn't sound right on the newer radios I don't now if there is any truth to it or not. I may see if I can pick up a d-104 locally if not I am thinking about the astatic 878 desk mike. I personally like the looks better than the galaxy desk mic. I am going to do some research on it first though, as to how it sounds on both am and ssb. I can't afford much at the moment but I would like to get some higher end eqipment later down the road. Has anyone used the astatic 878 with good/bad results? Also what about a d-104 how would it sound on this radio?

If you are genuinely interested in quality audio, be prepared to try a handful of mics. I rarely buy/sell equipment, and usually just box stuff up if I replace it, but mics are different ...... for me anyway. I've only purchased 6 radios, both base and mobile, over the last 5 to 7 years. But I have 5 mics currently and just sold 13 at one time this past summer.

Your voice and your mic choice will personalize your station. Just be prepared to try a few different mics out is all I'm saying.

i use a 2018 xtreme on the base . its a power mic with a good noise filter and a higher quality mic element , it will also give you variable talkback on your galaxy base .

it also has a very good quality echo circuit if youre into that .
ive found i prefer a slight double talk effect on AM over the echo though .

RF Limited EC-2018XTR Xtreme Echo Mic

Booty my galaxy already has variable talkback from the factory. Also I don't care for echo mikes not that it isn't a good mike it's just not for me. I might see if I can't borrow a d-104 off one of the locals and see how I like it. I think I know where I can borrow a turner +3 too. If I can't get either of them I will go ahead and buy the astatic 878.

Some people say the d-104 just doesn't sound right on the newer radios I don't now if there is any truth to it or not. I may see if I can pick up a d-104 locally if not I am thinking about the astatic 878 desk mike. I personally like the looks better than the galaxy desk mic. I am going to do some research on it first though, as to how it sounds on both am and ssb. I can't afford much at the moment but I would like to get some higher end eqipment later down the road. Has anyone used the astatic 878 with good/bad results? Also what about a d-104 how would it sound on this radio?

You could do the bob85 mod on a d-104m6b for a couple dollars, does this radio have the 6 pin connector if so I have an extra one already modded if you're interested.

"does this radio have the 6 pin connector if so I have an extra one already modded if you're interested." No it is a 4 pin but thanks anyway. Also what is the "Bob85" mod?

"does this radio have the 6 pin connector if so I have an extra one already modded if you're interested." No it is a 4 pin but thanks anyway. Also what is the "Bob85" mod?

It's a modification that gives the mic a variable tone function. Simple as changing a resistor and adding a 2 meg potentiometer in series with that resistor making it a good fit for most any radio and or voice.

Ok thanks, I am really looking for a desk mic though. I am going to look around for a while but I still might end up buying a couple different mics.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.