• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New old Guy

Cat Driver

Feb 2, 2007
Lake of The Ozarks
Howdy there fella CBer's. Been out of the CB biz since 1975 and now at 56 Y.O. I thought I'd jump back in.

Back Then I run a Royce 23 channel base with a D-104 and a A/S Super Mag base antenna.

I've got my eye on a Galaxy DX2547 base, Silver salute desk mic, and a Maco 5/8 wave antenna.

Does this sound like a pretty good setup for me nowadays?

1.I do have a question or two, maco has 2 different 5/8 antennas that look just alike, one is about $75 and one is about $105. What is the difference? I will not ever be running any power, or at least not over a 100 watts or so if I do.

2.Do these new silver salute mics work an sound as good as the old D-104's?

3.Anybody dealt with Copper Electronics in Louisville Kentucky? They seem to have pretty good prices on most of the stuff I'm after.

Thanx Again,
Ronnie :)

First off, welcome back. Your avatar alone constitutes a welcome! :D
Secondly I don't know squat about most of the stuff you've mentioned...as I still run the older stuff myself (including the D104's). I would however suggest you consider looking at the I-10k or Wolf antennas as well. Maco makes decent stuff...no problems there, just might be worth a look see before you decide. I'm a beam guy myself...but just a couple of other decent antenna choices for you to look at.
;)

Cat Driver said:
maco has 2 different 5/8 antennas that look just alike, one is about $75 and one is about $105. What is the difference? I will not ever be running any power, or at least not over a 100 watts or so if I do.
First off, where did you get that picture of my Mom?

The Maco V58 is fine for your needs. The V5000 uses a teflon insulator and can handle more power. 99% of the antennas are the same. Only the insulator and tubing size is different.

Guys, thats our UPS delivery girl..... :roll:

231- I like the I-10k, but don't really have the room for the longer radials and the price is a little more than I want to spend now. I'm trying to limit my expenses for everything to $600 at the present.

I've got most of my play $ invested in RC planes right now

Thanx Guys,
Ronnie :D

Cat Driver said:
Guys, thats our UPS delivery girl..... :roll:

I like the I-10k, but don't really have the room for the longer radials and the price is a little more than I want to spend now.
Yep, my Mom works for UPS!

The I-10K and the Maco have approximately the same size radials (1/4 wave).

The I-10K is more $$, but worth EVERY penny! I say all the time, if you can't (or won't) afford an I-10K, get the Maco V-58!

Now read my signature line below......

Master Chief said:
Cat Driver said:
maco has 2 different 5/8 antennas that look just alike, one is about $75 and one is about $105. What is the difference? I will not ever be running any power, or at least not over a 100 watts or so if I do.
First off, where did you get that picture of my Mom?

The Maco V58 is fine for your needs. The V5000 uses a teflon insulator and can handle more power. 99% of the antennas are the same. Only the insulator and tubing size is different.

Thanx Chief, thats what I was thinking, but not sure until I could get another opinion.

BTW, your Mom said to be home by midnight :LOL:

Thanx,
Ronnie :D

The radio is a good choice , I personally don't care much for the Silver Salutes compared to a D-104 , heard both side by side and the D-104 just sounded more alive and less tinny so to speak , I think there OK but I'd rather have a used in good conditon D-104 over those. Maco Alpha V-5/8 for about 100.00 bucks is also a two thumbs up antenna. Here's some good info on that radio.
Galaxy 2457

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.