• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Old Hy-Gain CLR2

807losangeles

May 11, 2015
A few years ago a buddy was cleaning out his garage and gave me this antenna, though the box was decomposing, it had never been put together, let alone put up in the air.

I haven't been interested in 11M until just recently, haven't been on the band for about 25 years. So when the bug hit me and I found this thing in my garage, I made a mad search through all the junk here for all the pieces. Found them all except....

I must have tried to load this thing up on 40M, (yep I'm a ham too, but have no problems keeping the two worlds separate, even though both are just about playing with radios and chatting w/ friends.) or something similarly ridiculous, because I apparently took out the little PCB matching coil in the base. Couldn't find it. So I made a new and improved version. It started out as 10.5 turns of 12GA house wire wrapped around a TV mast (1 1/4"?) but as you can see from the pic, needed to short out three turns. An antenna analyser is a lifesaver here. So 7.5 turns, and I got <1.1:1 on ch 19 with the tap at 3 turns from the bottom... or 4 1/2 down from the top, either way you look at it. (and not too shabby on 10M either)

Had some extra 7/16" Heliax, so that's what it's fed with. ;)

I just got a Bearcat 980 SSB as I've never had a SSB CB rig. I've modded out the damn beep,(WTF???) but have to get some other test equipment sorted out before I'll get my full 4 watts out of it. Only said hello to a few locals so far. I've got a lot of boxes full of tubes, (I like tubes, hence the name) would be fun to build something to add fire to the wire. I figure that new coil is at least good for a 100W!

Hope to talk to some of you on the air.
Later,

Screenshot from 2015-05-10 19:39:42.png Screenshot from 2015-05-10 19:39:06.png
Screenshot from 2015-05-10 17:33:45.png

Will handle full legal limit as long as you connections on the coil are soldered good.

Same match I use on the .625 I built.

Sweep it with your analyzer to see if it has a match on 12 and 15 meters, heck try 17 and 20 for giggles, you may be suprised

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.