• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW PRESIDENT LINCOLN 2 VERSION 3

Have heard a lot of guys buying these in my area of Central New Jersey, whats your take on them.
i got 2 local here that use them. i mobile 1 base. both guys get out well with them. both told me the recieve is quieter the the 2950 it replaced.which my old lincoln has a better recieve as well. plus it has a extra filter in it also

Well I pulled the trigger and bought one, nice radio, gets out well but the recieve audio stinks, I've tried Motorola, Johnson, Radio Shack, GE speakers and all sound raspy to me the only thing that is kind of ok is an old Sony computer speaker. I wonder if there is any way to change the recieve audio. I tried the Hi Cut and it works but just bothers me that the recieve sounds crunchy. I just ordered one of those Cobra 300 speakers with the tone control guess I'll see how that one works. I was also disappointed that the clairfier was locked, I know you can switch the transmit by 1 digit but in the anytone there is a feature in the menu to either leave it locked or unlocked this radio doesn't have that. At least I got a good deal on it and my locals say the audio is fantastic, so guess I'll see what the Cobra speaker does, I will say this is by far no where near as good as the Optima by a long shot.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I thought this was a common fault with the prior versions and was fixed in version 3. Should send it in for warranty repair. I believe they have warranty stateside. I thought I proclaimed it a turd. The one I have sounds like shit on receive.

I suppose some work and some don't. The guy that I know that runs one says his gets front end over load way too easy. And his is off freq by .2khz. IDK if his clarifier is unlocked or not. It may be as I think that is what he was using as a base for a while. Been a few months anyway. But at any rate, how does the 2nd filter work compared to the optima mk3? I am just curious. Thx for all replies. Hope you get it fixed. They aren't bad radios, I've heard quite a few that sounded good on SSB, but idk what the receive on them is like. At any rate, hope you get it resolved. Good day.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I thought this was a common fault with the prior versions and was fixed in version 3. Should send it in for warranty repair. I believe they have warranty stateside. I thought I proclaimed it a turd. The one I have sounds like shit on receive.

I've heard that the receive AGC is too fast; that will make the rx sound like a mess. 'Raggedy'. That can be changed by changing one cap in most cases, which directly affects the AGC timing threshold from fast to slower - depending on the value of that cap chosen.

Sometimes this can also happen if the receive has not been aligned properly. Hard to say; wonder if Xit13 had a chance to get under the covers of one of these radios yet? Be interested to hear what he finds.

A local op has one and it sounded pretty good from my end. Dunno if I would buy one unless Uniden/President supplies the cap location and part, or has a qualified warranty station fix it, as they should. All in all, I'd like to give one of these radios a spin, either way . . .

Last edited:
Just talked to KeyCb out of Warren, Indiana. They do warranty work, but need to call A1 Telecom (800-238-1786) to get RA#.

We'll see what happens....

Last edited:
I've heard that the receive AGC is too fast; that will make the rx sound like a mess. 'Raggedy'. That can be changed by changing one cap in most cases, which directly affects the AGC timing threshold from fast to slower - depending on the value of that cap chosen.
E5 47uf change to higher value 100uF is good affects ssb only (am/fm agc is fine).....but if its a version 1 do all the other rx mods (requires skill with smt) ...pig of a radio to do smt work on
Mike

Reactions: Mudfoot
Do you know if revision 3 was supposed to correct that in the first place?
Mark
as far as i know they did the mods they released when the ver1 came out (the mod sheet president released) and changed the firmware for the uk guys (for their band) the E5 cap was not part of the original mod sheet but in my own tests it is a help
i have washed my hands of president as they were too expensive to buy in the first place and their support was well ...>insert a four lettered word<

for the ones that dont know a ver2 was just a ver1 that had been sent back to the factory ..the ver3 was a production radio with the updates implemented (at factory on production line) and the firmware change ..the firmware change was not something that would have any benefit to you yanks or the rest of the free world outside of UK (uk guys cried about no inclusion of ssb in their new EU band)

nothing is ever "correct" look at all the after market fixes the big 3 ham radios have

Mike

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.