• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New President Lincoln 2 +

After the problems of the first model President seems to have addressed the issues of the first 3 attempts with this radio, and it seems that we complained enough to get them to add 12 meters to it.
I am waiting to see if the CW problem has been fixed before I make a decision on the new version.

Jeff

Reactions: Mudfoot
Having had the 3rd generation, I can say it doesn't live up to the quality of my older HR2600's even if mine didn't have the Chipswitch. They could have at least built it with the same size chassis but this one is much smaller.

These new Presidents have more features like VOX, Memory channels (only 6), CTCSS/DCS, and LCD color selections. However, the CTCSS/DCS can only be used in encode/decode or decode only. This is stupid since most of the few 10 meter repeaters out there require "encode only" and "encoding only" can't be selected. This new version stays the same according to the new manual I just read.

The receive audio level on SSB was low compared to AM or FM causing you to turn up the AF gain well above 12 o'clock to hear it well. The receiver itself is good for radios like these. Mine was a little off frequency on transmit, but I like the service menu and once you learn it, you can easily calibrate this and other settings without opening the radio. You can also screw it up just as easily and the factory reset won't revert it back either so don't mess with it unless you have the calibrations settings map and you know what you are doing.

The knobs feel cheap and are small. The original Presidents had a larger VFO off centered on the radio, this has a cheap feeling channel changer that acts like a VFO. The stock mic feels cheap and I wasn't able to get up/down buttons to work properly wiring a different mic.

The LCD display would be nice if the Channel number was small and the Frequency display was larger or better still if it had the option to change between the 2. The display is small and hard to read the other displayed icons for us older people who need reading glasses.

For an entry level Amateur radio, it falls short even with 12 meters. For the average Free-bander who isn't interested in the Tone boards and needs channel displays and echo, then this should be fine if your looking for a radio with a small profile. 12 meters should be irrelevant since you shouldn't be operating there anyway.

For the Amateur looking for a low cost entry level radio, I still say go with the RCI 2900 series and if you need CTCSS, they can be installed like the one I had did. Of course it's always better to spend the money once and get a True HF radio!

Reactions: 222DBFL
4 string with out upsetting you :sneaky: ...radio was made for a market where its mostly European cars with no dash space for large radios hence DIN sized
most of the other things you didn't like were stuff you could of noticed in online write ups and pics before buying

the up/dwn buttons issue is most likely because you are not accustomed to tri level logic wiring used for the up/dwn (and in some cases ptt and asc in other exports these days..) some thing used in alot of hambone radios now to allow more functions for less wires

however the digital volume i dont like myself as it is not done the old analogue way the volume digital command could be "tightened" up towards the lower left side of the control and made the same levels for all modes...weather they have sorted this in the algorithm for the Lincoln i will never know as not interested in getting any more of this abortion of a radio

didn't know free banders talked in channels...over 30 years as one i have issue even remembering what channel is 27.385! ..from my understanding its a American thing to speak channels out side of the legal band ...easy to spot a day to day cber if they call 27.555 channel 12 band something lol

however interesting on the ctss however here we dont use ctss on any repeater be it 10m or 2m so do know know about that

for the price of these radios plus a couple hundred (in some cases less going by the silly prices i see some usa shops trying to sell them for !) a alinco or similar low end hf radio from gigia parts will be the way to fly

4 string with out upsetting you :sneaky: ...radio was made for a market where its mostly European cars with no dash space for large radios hence DIN sized
most of the other things you didn't like were stuff you could of noticed in online write ups and pics before buying

No, you won't upset me. Maybe I upset you some by speaking out some of the things I didn't like or were of poor design. I did give a few positive notes on it though.

True, I didn't look at the actual size before I purchased it. I was just counting on a new version of the same radio but with modern updates and similar size. The original Lincoln wasn't a large radio itself.

The features I wanted like CTCSS and DCS capable of changing tones without opening the radio like the old style DIP switch type are there. Except, I would have expected it to be capable of both encode and decode simultaneously which it is, or the option for one or the other only, which it isn't. That's what I get for assuming even after I read the manual beforehand but apparently I missed that.

Typically these CTCSS tones are used for nearly all repeaters in the U.S. and this radio can not access most of them due to this radio's design regarding CTCSS enabling. That's why I said and stand behind what I said about being stupid. The only HF band allowed for FM repeaters here is on the upper end of 10 meters and most require encoding only for CTCSS tones. The rest of the repeaters are typically found on VHF/UHF.

didn't know free banders talked in channels...over 30 years as one i have issue even remembering what channel is 27.385! ..from my understanding its a American thing to speak channels out side of the legal band ...easy to spot a day to day cber if they call 27.555 channel 12 band something lol

"Free-banders" is subject to interpretation, but many of them here use radios without frequency counters or displays and refer to those other frequencies as "uppers" and "lowers" channels and speak of those frequencies as going to the lower side of 38 for example. Without a frequency counter, the channel ID and band letter on the switch is the only reference.

Is Yeticom ever going to come out with a newer version of the Optima radio???

I would be interested and so would many others on this forum. I would like to see a CTCSS/DCS board installed like the Lincoln but with the capability to select encode option only!

Reactions: buddyrose
I don't think they will be bringing back the optima mk3 or for that matter one that is similar. That is just wjar has been said in the past when they stopped making them. Glad I have held onto mine as it's still one of the best export radios out regardless of all the new crap being thrown at us!! Maybe that is JMO, but I know I can always count on my Optima MK3 to work well and make me contacts!! I have actually been using jt the last few days and forgot how good a radio it is!! With the weather like it's been here I am not too inclined to use my Icom 746 and the optima mk3 is a great back up radio that is just so easy to use!! No Bells and Whistles, just a good radio!!!

Reactions: fourstringburn
If that isn't an easy one to mod LOL!! Even though I wouldn't buy one! Still holding onto my optima mk3 as it's the shizz and works too good for me!!!!
And yes I'll say it, I am an optima mk3 fan boy!! Damn good radio even to this day!!

I had one of the first run of the Optima radio and loved it. Sold it to a buddy of mine and got the V3 which isn't much different but do use it on 10 meters since I finally got my Ham ticket. What a great radio and sometime in the near future they are coming out with a Huracan 2, kind of the size of a Magnum S9 just a lot better, heard it is still in the development stages, I can't wait.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.