• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New radio CB or Export ?

honeybunn1

Feb 20, 2006
Hello all ,

Im in the market for a new base radio, (mobile or base) ,, I mostly talk on reg AM , but i need a good ssb for when i use it , I will be running a little fire in the wire 2000ft of it and im a little worried about those dual finals sounding good driving a kicker.

Ive read that its better to go with a type acc. and a kicker than turning down a export

Ive read that the 2950dx is good on SSB , is it good on AM as well?

is the 6900f25 just as good a radio ?
or maybe a new 200 cobra or linclon

i have a tr966 tuned from 8541 should i just stick with it, it gets good reports its just pushing alot of wire barefoot

so what do you guys think ?

thanks everone

Hello honeybunn1,
I'll see if I can help you a little.

The dual final radio like the 2950 should be just fine for you. The Linclon is also very good and the Cobra.

Most guys will have the dual finals set at around 2 -3 watts on low Dead Key, this will then give the radio a high swing to drive an amp. You may already know this tho.

The only radio that I have had much experience with is the 2950dx's, most of them will run around 30 watts out on SSB.
The above mention radio's will all sound just fine going thru an amp, you just need to make sure that what ever radio you go with, that you have it tuned by a good radio shop.

Hope this helps a little...

Just one more thing....I would say NO DEAL on the 6900F25!
I had 3 of them and will never have another one.

Also, the Cobra 200 might be to much of a radio for the amp that you may want to use, so just be carefull here.

It's, "Fire IN the wire!"

FIRE = WATTS or POWER

WIRE = coax

You don't have "2000 feet" of fire, you have 2000 watts of fire. That power runs inside the WIRE. So you are pushing FIRE and not "wire".

See, FIRE in the WIRE.

And just in case it comes up, PILLS are actually solid state transistors in an amplifier. If you are "pushing" PILLS, you could get arrested!

I wish i had 2000 watts :shock:

but i got 2000 ft of hardline to the top of the hill something i dont want to run again

How is that 2950dx going to be on AM with a d104 desk mic

that combo works good but you will need to keep the d104 turned down and use the mic gain on the radio. imo.i like and use the turner +3 it works much better on am and side band can you say auddiiiooooooooooo. :LOL: jmo and as always i could be wrong.

Thanks for all the input

whats the deal on the 6900f25??

I like the thought of having a s-meter, 2950dx doesnt have one

Will it sound as good or better than tr-966 on am ??

what should i get done to the 2950dx before it leaves the shop

FYI, I have a 6900 F25 that was all done-up by FG Best, it works as well, if not better on the RX as any other radio I have. I will soon be installing a RCI 2950DX in its place, all done up by Justin, I will post some feedback after I do.

Jeff

honeybunn1 said:
Hello all ,

Im in the market for a new base radio, (mobile or base) ,, I mostly talk on reg AM , but i need a good ssb for when i use it , I will be running a little fire in the wire 2000ft of it and im a little worried about those dual finals sounding good driving a kicker.

Ive read that its better to go with a type acc. and a kicker than turning down a export

Ive read that the 2950dx is good on SSB , is it good on AM as well?

is the 6900f25 just as good a radio ?
or maybe a new 200 cobra or linclon

i have a tr966 tuned from 8541 should i just stick with it, it gets good reports its just pushing alot of wire barefoot

so what do you guys think ?

thanks everone

Spend 400 dollars on a Kenwood TS440SAT. Best amateur radio for AM use made, and they can be set to do near 180 watts PEP output by themselves, and they STILL sound good at that level.

Oh yeah, they pretty much go DC to daylight.

And none of the radios you listed as being interested in are type accepted. Your looking at nothing but exports, so why not spend less money and get a better radio (than an export base... Those RCI built bases are a WASTE of money!!!).

FYI, my 18 dollars and 00 cents worth.

1800-Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.