• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New radio from ranger

best bang for your buck from Ranger is the RCI2950 PERIOD!
I couldn't agree more with that statement. Been a 2950/70 dude for years.. have had all the flavors..orange display, dx, dx3, only one I've never played with is the n4.. way to much $ for a 10/11/12 only rig. I always liked a 2950 and a separate amp better than a 2970/n2 anyway... It is clear what rangers intended market is with this offering. The company driver that wants to TALK rather than the hard core 11m enthusiast.

Reactions: undertaker
I must agree......pay a lot for very little. And yeah, it looks kinda cheap to me with that face plate design. I love the old school Ranger, like the 2nd gen 2950 I have had since I was 16. I'm 41 now so ...yeah, dang.... that kinda hurt to type! LOL

Look Ma, No surface mounting!!!
Funny; I didn't notice that when I read it. Seems like a redeeming factor.

I could speculate further that Ranger USA had a bunch of 3600 boards and minimized the chassis build to AM/only, used materials on hand (to clear stock), just to build a trucker radio with all of the power/features they could want or need. If it is a 3600 board; then it would be the ticket for any trucker that wants/needs big modulation (these boards can be setup to modulate very well w/o any mods). Toss in a dual MOSFET arrangement, which is very cheap to use in production, an echo board, and they have their winnah!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I saw one on Ebay for $365!!!! LOL.... I was laughing so hard I almost pee'ed my pants......I could not breath I was laughing so hard just death rattles coming out of my chest! LOL For $219-$249 you can get a variety of radio's that will blow that thing out of the water in terms of freq band width, features, CW/AM/FM/SSB and so close to the same power that you would not see much more than a 1/4 S unit of difference if any in the real world! LOL If you want a Ranger get a RCI2950 for $249.

GI JOEs Wants $299 for one still not worth that either. It is at best 1/2 of an export radio so why pay extra to get a radio that comes with less? LOL

There may be a lot of radios that are better overall but you have to look at this things intended purpose, if you drive a company truck and need something that will talk well on 19 while not bringing on many of the issues associated with installing something in a company truck this thing solves a lot of problems. It may not be useful to you but that doesn't mean it doesn't have merit.

What companies have trucks without cb built in now. I take it you are talking Class A. Not only did I have class A but I had every endorsement. Now I only have class B and let my Hazmat go since I was not using it. On top of that my Dad did 20 years in the Army retired and since 1993 he has driven OTR and just recently retired from that job too. According to him prob. a good 5-8 years ago all the company leased trucks come with CB built in. That and almost no one uses them much anymore. I worked on his gear since 1993. So I do not understand why any driver would need an 8 band AM only $299-$369 radio in his company truck. I thinking that chassis is rob. too big for the molded in spot to put a radio with a velcro strap from the OEM they usually sized for a radio no bigger than a Cobra 25-29.

The only time a $300 radio makes sense is if it is your truck as in owner operator. ou never know when a company truck will be given to another driver especially if it is a sleeper and the company is OTR.

Next you are going to tell me you can not make a living without a radar detector in the cab! LOL

If you like the unit and want one it is your money and a man can spend his money how he likes. That said there is no logic that explains paying that sort of money for a radio like this under the guise of needing it to work as a trucker! It is an overpowered CB with 7 more bands than you need.

Let's face it a Bearcat 680, 880, 980, Cobra 19, 25, 29, 148, Galaxy 939, 949,979, Midland 5001, Pro 505XL, PC687,787, Pro510XL, Ranger TR-396 would all work just fine for use in a company truck I think the above range from $36-$180 or so. You could get 2X-10X of some of those for the price of the Ranger in question.

It is like a guy trying to convince the wife he needs a $24,000 handmade 700 Nitro Express rifle to hunt whitetail and wild boars in Alabama. LOL

Just like all the Galaxy, Connex,General Lee and the like you will pop the tins off and see that it has one of the same boards Ranger uses in all of those products with a lot of parts not populated on the board. It will have the same Ranger/Galaxy/Connex parts under the hood.

On top of that why would you want to put an expensive poorly made Ranger/RCI/Galaxy product in a beast of a machine that vibrates and bounces around a lot! Ranger could never pass the paint shaker test that Royce was found of ! LOL

Is it the Chrome? What is it? I really want to understand! You know at this point the RCI2950 is at least 29 years old it was 1990/91 when I got my first 2950 and it was fairly new but not real new. Newer than the HR2510 and such but again not brand new. This was before the internet was smoking hot so it took time for things to get around.My point is that it is a classic design vintage and old school. You do not want to be the guy that cannot operate the gas pump because it's too high tech.

I had a 3 or 6 channel handheld walkie talkie back in 1979. Took an insane amount of D cell battery and came in a leather case. My neighbor had the first Sony Walkman. I got an Atari 2600 Gaming Console that year for Christmas! I never say to myself man I sure wish I had another Atari 2600 to play on instead of my PC or PS4. Remeber how often you had to clean your distributor cap, plugs, replace the condenser, adjust points and in some cases adjust your valves.....Oh the good old days. Remeber in the dead of winter pulling your joke out 3/4 pumping the carb cranking the engine and then WOT at just the right moment to fire up the car in the winter. Remeber how the wife would never push the choke back in and you would have to clean the plugs and carbon the pistons with water and give it an "Italin tune up".???? Oh the good old days!

Sadly someone forgot to tell Uniden, Cobra and all the other once domestic brands that we would still like quality CB radio's, please! Unlike computer's, cars, TV's and just about all other electronics our hobby has gone backward not forwards!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.